Nvidia CEO: The Push To Teach Kids To Code & Learn Computer Science Is A Waste Of Time, A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) Will Be Taking Those Jobs

Daps
We aren’t yet near that level, but he’s right, in that AI will democratize processes that have traditionally been reserved for individuals with specific technical aptitudes.

through simple word prompts, all manner of creative output - animation, painting, music production, programming - will be possible for anyone with an imagination.

:francis:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
He's talking out his ass mostly.

humans still need to understand the underlying concepts for maintenance of these systems, we cant rely on AI for everything because that is a single point of failure for the system or systems it maintains and builds. What if the AI malfunctions or is compromised?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, I mean, we still need people to understand, maintain, and fix issues with the code underlying AI programs.

Last thing we need is an AI that nobody understands the programming for. So there should always be some need for coders, even if the demand is less.

I think us IT brehs should be safe though. Always gonna need somebody to maintain the physical infrastructure and fix issues. :manny:
breh you dont see whats going to eventually happen?

AI will eventually be able to code and maintain itself...as well as run the robotics to build and maintain its physical infrastructure...

for once the movies were right...maybe not as dramatic as they made it out to be...but its definitely happening

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
In their dream world, AI will replace all workers, but in reality, AI will replace a lot of jobs but not all jobs. You still need someone who understands the output of the code and can tweak it to what it needs to be. I can see AI used as a scaffold, but then a human will have to rake over the code and adjust things to what they need to be. Just like how offshoring was supposed to completely kill coding, these CEOs are overly optimistic about AI.

Also, if there are no coders what are they going to train the AI on? Code for already existing products? Or are they saying that AI is self-learning and will be able to reason?

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
the productivity gains I've seen with GPT4 and Gemini frighten me.

As long as I understand at a high level what needs to be done and can translate it into a prompt, I'm getting code that needs little to no modifications damn near every single time

I came in to say the same. I know enough about code to know how to prompt GPT and fix the broken code it sometimes gives. In return, I can write more complex code and easily build machine-learning models.

I do think it's still valuable to know how to code, but I'd be worried if my job was like a reporting analyst.

Last edited:

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
Carbon-based life form, you are expendable.

-Dr. Umar

:troll:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
In their dream world, AI will replace all workers, but in reality, AI will replace a lot of jobs but not all jobs. You still need someone who understands the output of the code and can tweak it to what it needs to be. I can see AI used as a scaffold, but then a human will have to rake over the code and adjust things to what they need to be. Just like how offshoring was supposed to completely kill coding, these CEOs are overly optimistic about AI.

Also, if there are no coders what are they going to train the AI on? Code for already existing products? Or are they saying that AI is self-learning and will be able to reason?
Yup. Like i said, CEO's compete.

When they see their competition get ahead using software engineers to maximize A.I output, they're going try leapfrogging them and hire more people.

In some ways I like takes like this CEO's, because it shakes people out and leaves more for people who stick around. It's almost like a filter where only the serious will stick around.

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
These fukking nerds are writting their replacements.
They've been doing it. How it's worked is they've always been surrounded by dumbfounded computer illiterate people. Therefore they held the keys. I know of a person that wrote fraud for a major company everyone has heard of. Basically just tickets scanning accounts for odd transactions. He wrote a script, that scanned accounts for him and since he worked from home or remote there was never anyone that ever walked by or saw anything suspicious. This went on for years. Until he got caught. He thought the company was going to fire him, the bought it from him and paid him handsomely. This was in the early 2000's.

morris

Superstar
Daps
I'll be happy when AI can solve complex database questions (manipulate data)

Tair

Superstar
Daps
There are real benefits to coding like being precise and solving difficult problems using logic in a creative way. That will benefit people, adults and children, in all other areas of life.

I'd still teach my kids to learn to code so they don't become too reliant on A.I. and the benefits of staving off mental decline as they get older.

Also, I don't believe Jensen, he is incentivized to keep pushing A.I. seeing as that is becoming Nvidia's bread and butter.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
I see what he’s saying and somewhat agree. He’s saying in the current state of the technology, people in specific fields like healthcare might have an idea of a software or app that can improve and/or innovate their profession so they would have to learn to code or hire programmers to create the software.

Now, with the advancement of AI, that same healthcare professional can simply type the prompts of what they want the software to do. Therefore, the industry specific knowledge such as healthcare is more important that the coding knowledge.

That’s interesting :jbhmm:

I still disagree though. As someone who is studying cloud computing there are fields that will not let unstable and unpredictable AI software anywhere near proprietary and confidential data.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Trades are more needed now than ever. Cities will need to be redesigned so more people can be housed.

Robots are not good enough to replace electricians, carpenters, plumbers or metalworking. Trades are one of the only fields where you can actually start your own thing and do well. Lots of people in trades don't actually just flip their money into investments to build seed capital they can use to buy some trucks, tools and hire people.

There's a lot of money in trades. I remember when John McCain was trying to bring out "joe the plumber" as an example of a working class American. Most plumbers will tell you that man was making FAR more than an average restaurant worker, care aid, janitor or customer service representative. A lot of people still think a heavy equipment mechanic is some broke guy in coveralls making an average wage.

Look at how much they make: