NPR show breaks down how highways ruined black communities, and caused urban economic disparities

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I don't know what to say really. This is depressing, infuriating, and insulting. Dad has been telling me things like this for years and over time I've come to realize he was right about the world hating us from the jump. I really wonder if we can ever make our own thing. I need to buckle down and do something with my life before some crazy cop puts a bullet in me. Certs right?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
For those in the DMV area, I have always thought this and left me:ohhh:.

Take the Beltway 495. As you go north through Montgomery County (the affluent white area), the highway curves and rounds many neighborhoods. Steering wheel stay turning.

Go the southern route through Prince George's County (the minority/ Black area), highway cut through with straightways like butter. Damn near get bored because you going straight for so long.

Cousin hipped me to this many years ago.
I noticed this too anytime I'm on 95 south depending on where I'm going in DC. If I bear off to the right while in MoCo there's all kinds of curves but if I stay left 495 is a straight shot thru PG. The BW parkway is even worse

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yep it's the reason why they fight to disenfranchise Marta and that 285 is circle that encompasses the city. My father when he was alive used to say the city was built like a penitentiary. . . .
They literally will have MFers going to city meetings talking about MARTA will bring crime into their neighborhoods.

They even created the acronym "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta"...thats how racist they are with the shyt.

Ring highways are one thing, but its the routes they chose thats another.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Gonna check this out later to see what they say about Houston:patrice:

Our infrastructure is very odd in the first place:jbhmm: Mostly cars

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im going the check this out.....

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm listening to this right now. I think i heard farrakhan mentioned something to this effect before, but to hear the detailed plans that went into marginalizing black people is surreal.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
giphy.gif

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
They literally will have MFers going to city meetings talking about MARTA will bring crime into their neighborhoods.

They even created the acronym "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta"...thats how racist they are with the shyt.

Ring highways are one thing, but its the routes they chose thats another.

There is gonna be another vote on expanding MARTA, officials in Atlanta have until May 31st to finalize what transportation projects will be in the potential vote. Could expand MARTA up to Gwinnett and North Fulton so if you're in the Atlanta area stay tuned

As for this thread my Dad put me on to this years ago about its impact in Atlanta. He told me how the 75/85 interchange from Cleveland Ave north to the downtown connector ripped those communities apart especially historically black communities like Mechanicsville and even through historically working class Jewish communities like Peoplestown.

But if you want another link between how this systematic racism destroyed our communities just think about the drug trade and how easily accessible drugs were in our communities, well they had the highways running thru the hood anyway so how easy was it to get guns & drugs in our neighborhoods with the intention of having us destroy each other? Y'all gotta stay woke to how badly they wanted & still want to eradicate us...

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Robert Moses was the true devil. He built the Cross Bronx Expressway, one of the most expensive highways ever built ( 1 million dollars per mile) in the middle of the BX and cut whole neighborhoods in half. Its the reason why the South Bronx became a CESS POOL in the 70s and 80s. When he was building the damn Triboro bridge, he knocked down entire neighborhoods of underclass working folks and forced them out. People used to think he loved highways and cars more than people. Dude was sociopath.

in case some aren't familiar with him and his family...

Moses was born to assimilated German Jewish parents in New Haven, Connecticut. He spent the first nine years of his life living at 83 Dwight Street in New Haven, two blocks from Yale University. In 1897, the Moses family moved to New York City,[3] where they lived on East 46th Street off Fifth Avenue.[4] Moses's father was a successful department store owner and real estate speculator in New Haven. In order for the family to move to New York City, he sold his real estate holdings and store and retired from business for the rest of his life.[3] Bella, Moses's mother, was active in the settlement movement, with her own love of building.

Robert Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia