NPR show breaks down how highways ruined black communities, and caused urban economic disparities

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Let me first say at the time I hadnt read the article. Done! And im not saying that these things arent "hurting the black community" but the reason for my post is that recently we keep seeing threads about random things hurting the black community. I'll list them
  1. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/illegal-immigration-hurts-the-black-community.371501/page-14#post-18202616
  2. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/i-bl...sed-up-in-the-u-s.409659/page-3#post-18243809
Brought to you by the Coli's own homegrown geniuses @Ronnie Lott and @ThreeLetterAgency aka @Napoleon

nikka, I actually proposed a solution as to how black people can build an economy with other black people.

What part of that is anyway wrong :stopitslime:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:salute: @ThreeLetterAgency for the thread. I never knew much about this, and also to @Poitier sorry your thread about this subject didn't take off breh.
Whats worse is that @Poitier assumed I even knew he made a thread.

I didn't and even then, see it and he thinks people CARE about him...my dude, you're a username, Grow up already.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
The highways were built to help whites get from their rich, tony suburbs to their downtown jobs more smoothly (without having to go through poor (black) neighborhoods) :mjpls:

Yep, when some racist whites said no because it was a government handout and there was no legal authority, you had liberals champion it and then you had the conservative whites converted when Eisenhower said it was for military defense.

Just tells you all you need to know about America

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Yes it did. The city of Overtown was a thriving black city. It was a southern version of Harlem where many black celebrities visited. In the height of segregation, it was the go to spot in the south when famous black celebrities weren't able to spend the night in South Beach. Many hotels in Miami Beach forbidden black people from renting a hotel. So Overtown aka Color Town became the place for celebrities like Joe Louis, Muhammed Ali, Malcolm X, Billy Holiday and many renowned black people vacation spot. The city was BLACK WALL STREET of south Florida.

Black people fought hard to stop the building of I-95 but they failed. The city of Miami went on to built the highway; as of result, many black residents were forced to move out and lost their homes. Overtown has been on declined sinced that time. It never recovered. People talked so much about the success of BLACK WALL STREET in Tulsa but forgot about Colored Town that had a longer prosperous run than Tulsa. Our black cities have been destroyed and robbed by the people who hate us. :mjcry:

damn:mjcry:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Uncle schooled me on this when I was a kid:salute:

Found out that Birmingham was Atlanta status before the Civil Rights movement. After that they shout down a major highway running through the city:francis:

Ferguson really showed me how fukked up this highway shyt is

Just that fast the police can lock down a whole hood by blocking the highways

No one in no one out:francis:

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes it did. The city of Overtown was a thriving black city. It was a southern version of Harlem where many black celebrities visited. In the height of segregation, it was the go to spot in the south when famous black celebrities weren't able to spend the night in South Beach. Many hotels in Miami Beach forbidden black people from renting a hotel. So Overtown aka Color Town became the place for celebrities like Joe Louis, Muhammed Ali, Malcolm X, Billy Holiday and many renowned black people vacation spot. The city was BLACK WALL STREET of south Florida.

Black people fought hard to stop the building of I-95 but they failed. The city of Miami went on to built the highway; as of result, many black residents were forced to move out and lost their homes. Overtown has been on declined sinced that time. It never recovered. People talked so much about the success of BLACK WALL STREET in Tulsa but forgot about Colored Town that had a longer prosperous run than Tulsa. Our black cities have been destroyed and robbed by the people who hate us. :mjcry:

I hearing all these stories from you guys about successful black cities that were torn down by these highways (white supremacy) and it makes me wish there was a documentary that talked about all of the successful black cities and districts in America prior to the civil rights movement.

I heard about Durham NC being a successful black city.
I heard about Tulsa Ok being a successful black city.
I am just now hearing about Overtown Fl being a successful black city.

Is there a book or something that talks about all of this?

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I hearing all these stories from you guys about successful black cities that were torn down by these highways (white supremacy) and it makes me wish there was a documentary that talked about all of the successful black cities and districts in America prior to the civil rights movement.

I heard about Durham NC being a successful black city.
I heard about Tulsa Ok being a successful black city.
I am just now hearing about Overtown Fl being a successful black city.

Is there a book or something that talks about all of this?

Black Miami in the twentieth century by Marvin Dunn goes into detail about overtown. It also goes in depth on liberty city which was also a thriving black community in Miami. Liberty city was more so of a black suburbs though. Mlk would be in Liberty city, also Muhammad Ali had a home in Liberty city. You also had places in Broward County like sistrunk which was a well to do black community.

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
In Tampa, they ruined the affluent black district near downtown when they originally opened the highway.

They also been widening it for years, destroying more black neighborhoods.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Cacs :scust:

its crazy how out here in Dallas, we're the 4th largest metro in the country with 7 million people. The black suburbs are all in the southern part, and the south eastern suburbs also are minority white and majority black and mexican.
But they literally have no types of transportation in any of the cities. From Mesquite all the way to cedar hill, not one damn bus route, and mind you this area probably has like 400-500,000 people with dozens of high schools and all types of shyt in between. Heres a map so you get a better idea.
newdallascountyredistrictingmap.jpg

From mesquite all the way to duncanville its not type of Public transportation, even tho you can claerly see they immediately border the city.

That area right there from Duncanville to Lancaster is Majority black full of nice homes that look like this.

desoto_homes_320.jpg

Hutchins to Mesquite is more so majority mexican, and probably 30% black, 15% cac.

Meanwhile you got small ass cac places like Addison that got trains and free wifi and shyt :camby:
I peeped game about that when I lived in Dallas. My mom is home health aid and has a lot of patients who live in Lancaster and Duncanville and she sometimes helps with their groceries and other errands because because they have no good public transportation.