NPR show breaks down how highways ruined black communities, and caused urban economic disparities

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
What part of 495?

:ohhh:

I'm usually only on there from greenbelt to silver spring ( I live in the Baltimore area)

Greenbelt is the perfect middle actually. From Greenbelt to 270 exit/ Bethesda, you'll noticed the winding. From Greenbelt to the National Harbor, you'll notice the straightways.

EDIT: You come from Bmore and hit Greenbelt to go up to Silver Spring?:ohhh: Can't you hit 70 to 29 and be in Silver Spring but out Greenbelt altogether?

Last edited:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Yeah Florida brehs who are older know the highways were always used to destroy black neighborhood by just adding more lanes they're doing thst to Dallas right now, Lotta blacks live off the highways and they're expanding it causing people to leave.

I'll find a shown on this, good info.
Overtown. Enough said.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Yep it's the reason why they fight to disenfranchise Marta and that 285 is circle that encompasses the city. My father when he was alive used to say the city was built like a penitentiary. . . .
It certainly has a panopticon feel.
But on some real shyt, Atlanta in many ways is fukked. The commercial and residential sprawl has fukked the city over. But it was also one of the places that started experimenting with this form of transportation segregation.

West End was built as a posh suburb to pass the inner city squalor and give them access to the Central business district. They connected it via streetcars that were segregated. They been building off that model since Reconstruction in America. The highways are just the latest manifestation.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Greenbelt is the perfect middle actually. From Greenbelt to 270 exit/ Bethesda, you'll noticed the winding. From Greenbelt to the National Harbor, you'll notice the straightways.

EDIT: You come from Bmore and hit Greenbelt to go up to Silver Spring?:ohhh: Can't you hit 70 to 29 and be in Silver Spring but out Greenbelt altogether?

Yeah sometimes I'll do the 29 thing when I'm coming from home going to silver spring. This girl I'm kicking it with lives in silver spring and I work in greenbelt so sometimes I'll make that trip to her place straight from work

But you're right abt the winding of 495 going to 270 and some parts beyond :ohhh:. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Its It's crazy breh

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Yeah sometimes I'll do the 29 thing when I'm coming from home going to silver spring. This girl I'm kicking it with lives in silver spring and I work in greenbelt so sometimes I'll make that trip to her place straight from work

Gotcha.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
elaborate...
Let me first say at the time I hadnt read the article. Done! And im not saying that these things arent "hurting the black community" but the reason for my post is that recently we keep seeing threads about random things hurting the black community. I'll list them
  1. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/illegal-immigration-hurts-the-black-community.371501/page-14#post-18202616
  2. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/i-bl...sed-up-in-the-u-s.409659/page-3#post-18243809
Brought to you by the Coli's own homegrown geniuses @Ronnie Lott and @ThreeLetterAgency aka @Napoleon

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I wonder how this plays into the narrative of the highways initially being built for defense purposes. I read somewhere that highways have to have a certain amount of straightaways necessary for emergency landings in the time of an invasion (they were signed into law during the Cold War). Wonder if that plays a role in things. Just a thought

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
IIRC, Luke talked about this in his book.

51ZKNojPSkL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let me first say at the time I hadnt read the article. Done! And im not saying that these things arent "hurting the black community" but the reason for my post is that recently we keep seeing threads about random things hurting the black community. I'll list them
  1. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/illegal-immigration-hurts-the-black-community.371501/page-14#post-18202616
  2. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/i-bl...sed-up-in-the-u-s.409659/page-3#post-18243809
Brought to you by the Coli's own homegrown geniuses @Ronnie Lott and @ThreeLetterAgency aka @Napoleon

Wtf are u talking about? Did u even listen to the interview? This was a deliberate effort to destroy affluent black communities and keep blacks immobile and without access to efficient transportation. This wasn't "random", this was an outright planned attack on blackpeople with lasting effects, period. You ran in here rushing to judgement for some reason.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Yes it did. The city of Overtown was a thriving black city. It was a southern version of Harlem where many black celebrities visited. In the height of segregation, it was the go to spot in the south when famous black celebrities weren't able to spend the night in South Beach. Many hotels in Miami Beach forbidden black people from renting a hotel. So Overtown aka Color Town became the place for celebrities like Joe Louis, Muhammed Ali, Malcolm X, Billy Holiday and many renowned black people vacation spot. The city was BLACK WALL STREET of south Florida.

Black people fought hard to stop the building of I-95 but they failed. The city of Miami went on to built the highway; as of result, many black residents were forced to move out and lost their homes. Overtown has been on declined sinced that time. It never recovered. People talked so much about the success of BLACK WALL STREET in Tulsa but forgot about Colored Town that had a longer prosperous run than Tulsa. Our black cities have been destroyed and robbed by the people who hate us. :mjcry:
There were lots of Tulsa's in the South that people don't talk about. All destroyed.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Wtf are u talking about? Did u even listen to the interview? This was a deliberate effort to destroy affluent black communities and keep blacks immobile and without access to efficient transportation. This wasn't "random", this was an outright planned attack on blackpeople with lasting effects, period. You ran in here rushing to judgement for some reason.
Doggy,
You're acting like im disagreeing with THIS particular thread/article. Did you read the post yo last quoted? I said i hadnt at the the time but since have listened. What im saying is in general many threads are made like this with titles like "xyz hurts the black community" to which i sometimes wonder are there anything that cant be argued to be hurting the black community.
BTW you know damn well the OP has since changed the thread title from Highways hurt the black community to what it is now :ufdup:

I understand many black americans feel that their community would flourish if segregation remained thus why they say desegregation has been harmful to the community. But it's one thing to listen/read the article all eager to agree with the OP after reading the thread title. It's another to listen objectively and listen to the argument being presented and agree with it/