"Nobody wants their MTV. What's behind Viacom's alarming ratings collapse?"

Lazy Migrant

Migrated
Supporter
Daps
@Napolean Props on this article. This might just be the most interesting article I've read on the Coli.

It not only talked about Viacom but gave an overview of the whole changing media landscape.
For a media addict like myself. This was a great read.:wow:

:mjlol: @ watching MTV in 2015.

They played theirself worse than BET, b/c they had a much wider fanbase to keep.

I totally agree with you about targeting too widely. These days it's all about the long tail when it comes to media content. You can't appeal to everyone. Think about all the sub-cultures in hip hop alone, how would have programming that appealed to most of 18-34?

fukkem for what they did to bet

Yea I can't knock Bob Johnson for wanting to be a billionaire, but by selling African Americans lost mad control of our culture.

Would anybody really watch MTV if they still played videos though? It's 2015. We have smartphones and tablets for that. And if they did play videos, we'd be complaining about which artists they used because most of us aren't in their demographic anyway, so not much would appeal to us.

It's undeniable that music videos are still a huge thing though. Just look at YouTube and the millions (and millions) of hits artists get there. It's just that no one wants to sit down and let a program or network dictate to them what video to watch and when. If you want to discover or hear good music, you have to search it out on your own. TV and radio aren't going to supply it for you. So even if you had the "old MTV" back, it would be a huge flop, IMO.

Yep those days are gone. If you wanna find new music you can just keep a list of blogs who's opinions you respect. The problem is there's hardly any money in running a niche music blog.

With that said, I would definitely watch MTV if they broadcast full concerts and did more music news type reporting or even music documentaries or held their own concerts like unplugged, etc..

I remember watching footage from the Family Values tours and that Ruff Ryders/Cash Money tour. Also, remember they showed Woodstock Live and the riots started happening?

Bring back making the video, trl, etc.

I would soo watch that now. That would add a whole new dynamic because people you wouldn't even have to like the artist or the song just the director and the video.

Exactly..across all their networks, including Nick, they need better sows man. with mtv specifically, they need to stop trying to appeal simply to a crowd that's not going to spend money or has fickle tastes

What demographic would that be though? The paradox I think is that the people that actually buy music don't set the trends.

I went to watch an episode of Fresh Prince on MTV recently and the time slot on my guide said 12:17pm - 1:07pm FOR ONE EPISODE :dead:..50 minutes!!??!! i couldn't finish it because the amount of commercial breaks they take. There's more commercials than programming on Viacom stations :heh:

Yo the Chappelle Show is still to this day one of my favorites shows but you remember how much commercials they had? They were straight disrespectful with it, it felt like they would come back from commercial say something to end the show and go back to commercials. I'd be home like:francis:...:shaq2:

The spike thing is crazy to me. they keep changing their programming direction meaning they have none. BET is in the same boat, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks

I feel that if BET was still owned by Bob and his wife they would've corrected the ship.
From her wikipedia:
In an interview, Sheila Johnson said she herself is "ashamed" of what the BET has become. “I don’t watch it. I suggest to my kids that they don’t watch it," she said. “When we started BET, it was going to be the Ebony magazine on television. We had public affairs programming. We had news... I had a show called Teen Summit, we had a large variety of programming, but the problem is that then the video revolution started up... And then something started happening, and I didn’t like it at all. And I remember during those days we would sit up and watch these videos and decide which ones were going on and which ones were not. We got a lot of backlash from recording artists...and we had to start showing them. I didn’t like the way women were being portrayed in these videos.”

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
People say no one would watch MTV if they still played music videos. Sometimes I like having some music playing in the background on the TV without going on the net looking for specific songs. Im sure many others feel the same. On the other hand I havent even put the channel on in years since they started the reality TV bullshyt. Thats just me tho :yeshrug:

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
Either they go back to paying music videos :hula: Bring back music centered shows like TRL :hula: or go after the CW's market

If MTV wasn't sleeping on the job, shows like Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars, The Originals, Gossip Girl, 90210 would have been on their network instead of just Teen Wolf :flabbynsick: That's their whole demo but, they let CW take it all

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
This video explains why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore:

Dumbest video ever.
Every generation steals music.

And nobody gives a shyt about crappy reality tv shows with faux drama written into them.

:comeon: Late 2005 was when Music downloading finally forced album sales to fall the fukk off. That same TV season was when BET & others started playing less music videos and watching music videos on the internet started to become a thing,

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Either they go back to paying music videos :hula: Bring back music centered shows like TRL :hula: or go after the CW's market

If MTV wasn't sleeping on the job, shows like Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars, The Originals, Gossip Girl, 90210 would have been on their network instead of just Teen Wolf :flabbynsick: That's their whole demo but, they let CW take it all
:what: Did you forget that The CW is the successor the old WB Network? They been doing original scripted programming targeted at Teens & Young Adults A LOT longer than MTV.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
:what: Did you forget that The CW is the successor the old WB Network? They been doing original scripted programming targeted at Teens & Young Adults A LOT longer than MTV.

Nah...I remember. But they were doing stuff like Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Dawson's Creek. Teenage soap operas. You had your Angel, Buffy and Charmed but, recently they've started going harder with the teen sci-fi/fantasies/comic book shows. They just took those old concepts, made it their main focus and made the characters younger to reach the YA market. You saying MTV couldn't have done that if they weren't so :flabbynsick:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
MTV sold out. I can't remember the term for it, but a lot of specialty channels try chasing the big audiences, but then they lose their identity and they lose their niche audience. It happens in all kinds of businesses. Spike used to be a country channel, but they sold out, lost their audience, and had to rebrand as a "man's network."

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
streaming is a big part of it and the second is lack of originality, how many shows do you need about teenage mothers :dahell: now there's a Scream tv show :dahell: that shyt dropped in 96 this generation doesn't remember the movie. Spike is trash a 24 hour cops marathon. Bet threw in the towel and gave up but i bet they wish they would've thought of College Hill in this era since fukkery and ratchetness is so popular

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
When the realty tv trend took off they followed, ppl where watching shyt like the hills and it fueled more reality shows. The internet filled that void. So yeah I blame reality tv

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
streaming is a big part of it and the second is lack of originality, how many shows do you need about teenage mothers :dahell: now there's a Scream tv show :dahell: that shyt dropped in 96 this generation doesn't remember the movie. Spike is trash a 24 hour cops marathon. Bet threw in the towel and gave up but i bet they wish they would've thought of College Hill in this era since fukkery and ratchetness is so popular

Pretty much this...

I understand that we can watch videos at any time now but I see no harm in having multiple music blocks throughout the day.

They should consider a throwback Thursday block where they play old school MTV shows all day for a while. Teen Nick did this awhile ago and the ratings improved significantly.

Hell, people can only handle so many episodes of. Ridiculousness.and Teen Mob in one day they should of have seen this coming.