"Nobody wants their MTV. What's behind Viacom's alarming ratings collapse?"

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Once Mtv stopped showing music videos and you could see mv's on tube sites... shyt was a wrap.
They really should have seen this shyt coming with the rise of youtube. But they got rid of their visionaries...

"For now the direction of Viacom is in the hands of Dauman, 61, who took over as CEO in 2006 after Redstone fired Tom Freston for losing out to Rupert Murdoch in a competition to acquire Myspace and for failing to boost the company’s stock price."

So they get rid of the creative type and get a bean counter brown-noser. Who then proceeds to go lowest common denominator cheap reality tv programming. Which is fine as long as other channels have shyt programming. But well... it 2015.. other channels/media sources have stepped up.

LOL Myspace...

naw acquiring my space would have made sense for mtv considering it was first made for independent artists to share music and get there name out there. And now they kind of went back to that.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Their audience has gone to Vevo/Youtube to actually want videos

And the few shows people fukk with (Teen Wolf etc) are watched on other online/digital formats

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Bring back making the video, trl, etc.

You lying fakkits wouldnt watch that shyt anyways.

Lol calm down Carson daily

Yeah most folks wouldn't have the patience to watch a random music video block in this day & age but folks would definitely watch the other music-related programming they used to air.

But I think MTV will has already have fukked that up too. I already get good substitutes for MTV News reports on Youtube with Complex, Clevver News, Clevver Music, & etc. youtube channels.

Complex is also doing dope-ass mini-music documentaries on their Youtube Channel, such as:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Yeah they were..the programming was already on the downside. Teen summit and Rap city were the one really good things they had going..outside of the gospel stuff that they do and still do but everything else was already appealing to lowest common denominator. Matter of fact, the father of one of my homie's would talk to us about BET's fallen promise, and how even back when it started, Bob Johnson never quite fulfilled what he said it was supposed to be and it rubbed him and people he knew of his generation in the wrong way. So when they sold it to Viacom, they shed no tears and knew something like that would eventually happen because that's who Bob Johnson was to them and what he represented. So for a certain generation of people, it's never been a great network and in my eyes, they were going the wrong way before he sold and Viacom just pushed it

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
MTV's problem isn't that they stopped playing music videos...you can see any music video you want online whenever you feel like so who really needs MTV to do it? MTV's problem is that they are not creating compelling shows that cater to their prime demographic. Too much of MTV is mining tired old vehicles that most viewers are sick of or putting out shows that are an out of touch executive's idea of what "the kids" think is cool.
Spike has the same problem...the network is being programmed by someone who uses marketing firms to decide what type of shows men want to watch.
And BET is just a mess because it is still being run by an antiquated, bougie, easily compromised asshat like Debra Lee.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
MTV's problem isn't that they stopped playing music videos...you can see any music video you want online whenever you feel like so who really needs MTV to do it? MTV's problem is that they are not creating compelling shows that cater to their prime demographic. Too much of MTV is mining tired old vehicles that most viewers are sick of or putting out shows that are an out of touch executive's idea of what "the kids" think is cool.
Spike has the same problem...the network is being programmed by someone who uses marketing firms to decide what type of shows men want to watch.
And BET is just a mess because it is still being run by an antiquated, bougie, easily compromised asshat like Debra Lee.

The spike thing is crazy to me. they keep changing their programming direction meaning they have none. BET is in the same boat, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

I really think we're going to get a mass culling of channels in a few years.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Homie BET was doing it to themselves before they sold to Viacom

Yeah they were..the programming was already on the downside. Teen summit and Rap city were the one really good things they had going..outside of the gospel stuff that they do and still do but everything else was already appealing to lowest common denominator. Matter of fact, the father of one of my homie's would talk to us about BET's fallen promise, and how even back when it started, Bob Johnson never quite fulfilled what he said it was supposed to be and it rubbed him and people he knew of his generation in the wrong way. So when they sold it to Viacom, they shed no tears and knew something like that would eventually happen because that's who Bob Johnson was to them and what he represented. So for a certain generation of people, it's never been a great network and in my eyes, they were going the wrong way before he sold and Viacom just pushed it

What was wrong with the programming? I remember it being mostly music-related programming when I got cable in 2002.

BET played A LOT MORE music than regular MTV. I remember a lot artists videos only got played on BET and never on MTV or MTV2.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The spike thing is crazy to me. they keep changing their programming direction meaning they have none. BET is in the same boat, just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks
Spike is nuts. If it wants to be the "Guy Channel" then it needs to embrace that shyt fully and begin programming its channel like it with some more original programming.
Aside from MMA, the occasional boxing match and a couple reality shows about tattooing I don't know what Spike airs aside from Cops repeats.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
What was wrong with the programming? I remember it being mostly music-related programming when I got cable in 2002.

BET played A LOT MORE music than regular MTV. I remember a lot artists videos only got played on BET and never on MTV or MTV2.

I can't speak for my boy's dad or even my dad and what they wanted out of it and what they were told they were getting but for me, it's the fact that all it was was music videos and teen summit which became sporadic as hell. Along with comic view. There was nothing really speaking on black issues aside from BET tonight but again, it was sporadic as far as how they promoted it and presented it. It was almost like a "yeah, we gotta do this so we may as well" rather than feeling compelled to do it. There were and are so many things in the black community that need focus, that the first black owned network in the country should feel compelled to do more than just show music videos. There's a time and place for everything, I understand that, but the amount of time they gave to big issues and their placement was iffy at best. And yeah when you got it, it was already owned by Viacom and Debra Lee seemingly did her best to continue to dumb down the network, which is why Aaron McGruder got in her ass along with every other BET exec

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't need to read to AWLL that to Ovastand it's been Reynold's for eMpTV:flabbynsick::trash::birdman: