"Nobody wants their MTV. What's behind Viacom's alarming ratings collapse?"

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol: @ watching MTV in 2015.

They played theirself worse than BET, b/c they had a much wider fanbase to keep.

They shoulda kept the station about MUSIC. You turn it on now and you prob wont see a video for a whole day.

Summers on MTV used to be music music music, Real World, dating gameshow, more music music music.

I dont think I've watched an MTV award show since 50 called Fat Joe a "f*ck boy" during one of his perfomances

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

They played theirself worse than BET, b/c they had a much wider fanbase to keep.

They shoulda kept the station about MUSIC. You turn it on now and you prob wont see a video for a whole day.

Summers on MTV used to be music music music, Real World, dating gameshow, more music music music.

Well like that video said once, it's our fault

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Would anybody really watch MTV if they still played videos though? It's 2015. We have smartphones and tablets for that. And if they did play videos, we'd be complaining about which artists they used because most of us aren't in their demographic anyway, so not much would appeal to us.

It's undeniable that music videos are still a huge thing though. Just look at YouTube and the millions (and millions) of hits artists get there. It's just that no one wants to sit down and let a program or network dictate to them what video to watch and when. If you want to discover or hear good music, you have to search it out on your own. TV and radio aren't going to supply it for you. So even if you had the "old MTV" back, it would be a huge flop, IMO.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
What has ruined MTV?

Here's a thought....maybe people want to watch and listen to music.

mindblown-kramer.gif

I dont think I've watched an MTV award show since 50 called Fat Joe a "f*ck boy" during one of his perfomances

Well like that video said once, it's our fault

Would anybody really watch MTV if they still played videos though? It's 2015. We have smartphones and tablets for that. And if they did play videos, we'd be complaining about which artists they used because most of us aren't in their demographic anyway, so not much would appeal to us.

It's undeniable that music videos are still a huge thing though. Just look at YouTube and the millions (and millions) of hits artists get there. It's just that no one wants to sit down and let a program or network dictate to them what video to watch and when. If you want to discover or hear good music, you have to search it out on your own. TV and radio aren't going to supply it for you. So even if you had the "old MTV" back, it would be a huge flop, IMO.

This video explains why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore:

In this installment of "Ask A Network Head," Natalie asks the head of programming at MTV why they stopped playing music videos.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:mjcry: Not only did they stop airing music videos, they stopped airing music-related programming.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Would anybody really watch MTV if they still played videos though? It's 2015.

Nah, I don't even watch like MTV Jams. I can go on YouTube for that and watch any video at a simple click. With that said, I would definitely watch MTV if they broadcast full concerts and did more music news type reporting or even music documentaries or held their own concerts like unplugged, etc..

I remember watching footage from the Family Values tours and that Ruff Ryders/Cash Money tour. Also, remember they showed Woodstock Live and the riots started happening? Those cacs were burning the place to the ground :mjlol:

That's what I want to see. :manny: