"Nobody wants their MTV. What's behind Viacom's alarming ratings collapse?"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah, I don't even watch like MTV Jams. I can go on YouTube for that and watch any video at a simple click. With that said, I would definitely watch MTV if they broadcast full concerts and did more music news type reporting or even music documentaries or held their own concerts like unplugged, etc..

I remember watching footage from the Family Values tours and that Ruff Ryders/Cash Money tour. Also, remember they showed Woodstock Live and the riots started happening? Those cacs were burning the place to the ground :mjlol:

That's what I want to see. :manny:

Word. They're not cutting edge anymore or offering something I can't see elsewhere. Should've kept that Beavis and Butthead revival going but i guess not enough people watched it...so fukk all you who didn't :russ:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Nah, I don't even watch like MTV Jams. I can go on YouTube for that and watch any video at a simple click. With that said, I would definitely watch MTV if they broadcast full concerts and did more music news type reporting or even music documentaries or held their own concerts like unplugged, etc..

I remember watching footage from the Family Values tours and that Ruff Ryders/Cash Money tour. Also, remember they showed Woodstock Live and the riots started happening? Those cacs were burning the place to the ground :mjlol:

That's what I want to see. :manny:

THIS!! The same goes for VH1.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Maybe if they actually showed videos at any other times besides 3 in the morning it would really help.There is no point of having the VMAs anymore because they don't even show videos anymore. I watched last year & I either hadn't heard 90% of the songs and the ones i heard of I didn't know they had videos if it wasn't Beyoncé or Rihanna. MTV been showing their asses to viewers by basically making them deal with them no longer showing videos when it's been demanded for over ten years. Welp, now look at MTV they :sadbron: cause people found other sources to find music videos. Mtv are fukking c*nts.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Word. They're not cutting edge anymore or offering something I can't see elsewhere. Should've kept that Beavis and Butthead revival going but i guess not enough people watched it...so fukk all you who didn't :russ:
I watched it. It was alright, until that stupid ass cartoon that followed it came on. Forgot the name of it, but it was a completely new animated show. It pretty much ruined any nostalgia trip I got from watching Beavis and Butthead.

Also, it would've been nice if they aired Coachella. Shoutout to AXS TV tho. :myman:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
feat_viacom28_970a.jpg

Lol that's why their ratings are going to shyt. There's so much good TV these days, nobody got time for that trash.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
feat_viacom28_970a.jpg

Lol that's why their ratings are going to shyt. There's so much good TV these days, nobody got time for that trash.
this break down is bullshyt. I refuse to believe that Keyshia Cole, Hogan Knows Best, Tough Love, & Salt n Pepa (love em but really?) brought in ratings like that.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Would anybody really watch MTV if they still played videos though? It's 2015. We have smartphones and tablets for that. And if they did play videos, we'd be complaining about which artists they used because most of us aren't in their demographic anyway, so not much would appeal to us.

It's undeniable that music videos are still a huge thing though. Just look at YouTube and the millions (and millions) of hits artists get there. It's just that no one wants to sit down and let a program or network dictate to them what video to watch and when. If you want to discover or hear good music, you have to search it out on your own. TV and radio aren't going to supply it for you. So even if you had the "old MTV" back, it would be a huge flop, IMO.

Pretty much what I was going to say word for word.

High school age kids are accustomed to watching whatever they want at a click of a button. There's no way they're about to sit down and wait through an hour long program to see their favorite video like we use to do. And 20 and 30 somethings might watch videos for nostalgia purposes initially, but that would only last a few weeks and then people would move on to complaining about something else.

Music programming like interview shows, exclusive concerts, and behind the scenes stuff would probably get people nterested. But video shows are a relic of the past like CDs and tape cassettes.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Once Mtv stopped showing music videos and you could see mv's on tube sites... shyt was a wrap.
They really should have seen this shyt coming with the rise of youtube. But they got rid of their visionaries...

"For now the direction of Viacom is in the hands of Dauman, 61, who took over as CEO in 2006 after Redstone fired Tom Freston for losing out to Rupert Murdoch in a competition to acquire Myspace and for failing to boost the company’s stock price."

So they get rid of the creative type and get a bean counter brown-noser. Who then proceeds to go lowest common denominator cheap reality tv programming. Which is fine as long as other channels have shyt programming. But well... it 2015.. other channels/media sources have stepped up.

LOL Myspace...