"Nobody wants their MTV. What's behind Viacom's alarming ratings collapse?"

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly, in this case . more is not better....

We need to go back to less channels. Too many channels and the same programming is on all of them...

We need maybe a MTV, 1 NICK and 1 Nick JR, 1 Disney and Disney JR... maybe about 5 movie channels a sci-fi, 1 cooking channel and damn it .. 1 reality TV channel.. didn't fox have 1 at 1 point...

Right now its just over saturation.. TV is becoming like the hip hop genre... 2 much of the same and less variety.
We don't need CNN, MSNBC, HNN and whatever else that other channel is... Its the same damn news...

To those saying MTV should do a throwback day .. I like that idea but shouldn't the 90s videos be on VH1 now.. I thought that channel was originally for older stuff...

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Everything has their time. :manny:

Nobody really watches TV anymore and MTV doesn't have any good shows. Am I supposed to weep for them? Get creative and come up with some new shyt or die, like everyone else in this environment.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

We need to go back to less channels. Too many channels and the same programming is on all of them...

We need maybe a MTV, 1 NICK and 1 Nick JR, 1 Disney and Disney JR... maybe about 5 movie channels a sci-fi, 1 cooking channel and damn it .. 1 reality TV channel.. didn't fox have 1 at 1 point...

Right now its just over saturation.. TV is becoming like the hip hop genre... 2 much of the same and less variety.
We don't need CNN, MSNBC, HNN and whatever else that other channel is... Its the same damn news...

To those saying MTV should do a throwback day .. I like that idea but shouldn't the 90s videos be on VH1 now.. I thought that channel was originally for older stuff...
:dwillhuh: When I first got cable In the early 2000's VH1 was playing current music.

If I was to compare the music channels to Radio Station genres:

BET = Mainstream Urban

MTV = Mainstream Top 40/Pop

VH1 = Adult Top 40

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia:
The original purpose of the channel was to build on the success of MTV by playing music videos, but targeting a slightly older demographic than its sister channel, focusing on the lighter, softer side of popular music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH1

:ehh: Yep, I was right.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

And VH1 has their throwback hour early weekday mornings. But other than that it's movies, reality show reruns and Saturday night live

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
:dwillhuh: When I first got cable In the early 2000's VH1 was playing current music.

If I was to compare the music channels to Radio Station genres:

BET = Mainstream Urban

MTV = Mainstream Top 40/Pop

VH1 = Adult Top 40

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia:

:ehh: Yep, I was right.

My bad... I guess in my youth I thought the adult top 40 was older music... It makes since now that you show it this way .. and damn why didn't it stay that way..

edit: i was part right .. then again I had cable in the late 80s, early 90s

Once VH1 established itself a few years later, they catered to Top 40, adult contemporary, classic rock, and 1980s mainstream pop.[4] For a time, even country music videos aired in a one-hour block during the afternoons. They started out using MTV's famous Kabel typeface font for their music video credit tags. It was later replaced in 1991 by a larger font, with the year the video was made added to the lower column that identified the label on which the album was released. In 1993, the name of the videos' director was included at the bottom of the credits.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
My bad... I guess in my youth I thought the adult top 40 was older music... It makes since now that you show it this way .. and damn why didn't it stay that way

What are you saying my bad for breh you're right lol. When we were kids in the 90s, VH1 was for older music fans. Stuff for, the 70s and 60s

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
What are you saying my bad for breh you're right lol. When we were kids in the 90s, VH1 was for older music fans. Stuff for, the 70s and 60s

I know i'm right .. but thats not the way i was thinking about it.. its the same thing, said differently and based on the way it was in my head i took the other statement as a disagreement because of the smiley... He put the face before the statement and not after and so i took that as questioning my statement that was quoted... I had cable so long I don't know anymore. I remember I had HBO with 1 antenna on my room back in like 85.. I thought vh1 in the 2000s for example played adult and 80s/90s music. by that logic since we in 2015 they should be playing 90s stuff...

as a 20 yr old in the 90s, I thought MTV played current, BET played urban and VH1 was classic. if that still applied then the 90s current would be todays classic...
Maybe I'm getting old... all I know current MTV is no longer my demographic.. and being a 42 yr old Black male... I honestly don't know what my demographic is for TV. LOL

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I know i'm right .. but thats not the way i was thinking about it.. its the same thing, said differently and based on the way it was in my head i took the other statement as a disagreement because of the smiley... He put the face before the statement and not after and so i took that as questioning my statement that was quoted... I had cable so long I don't know anymore. I remember I had HBO with 1 antenna on my room back in like 85.. I thought vh1 in the 2000s for example played adult and 80s/90s music. by that logic since we in 2015 they should be playing 90s stuff...

as a 20 yr old in the 90s, I thought MTV played current, BET played urban and VH1 was classic. if that still applied then the 90s current would be todays classic...
Maybe I'm getting old... all I know current MTV is no longer my demographic.. and being a 42 yr old Black male... I honestly don't know what my demographic is for TV. LOL

Lol not those three channels I can tell you that much. VH1 does still love classic rock tho if that's your thing

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
The idea of running home and actually waiting to see a video got me cooking a lil bit over here

:mjlol:

It's not on YouTube b? :stopitslime:

Sometimes you want to just turn on the TV and chill... its similar to a just a visual radio... sometimes you in the mood to watch/hear something, anything.. not a specific song