No one will EVER have or had a run like Ice Cube, that's why he will ALWAYS be the GOAT

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
^^^that's actually not true to my knowledge. I'd love to be wrong. I think they may have slow burned to gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Down_Productions_discography#Studio_Albums

The RIAA database (if you search it) indicates that By All Means Necessary, Ghetto Music, and Edutainment went Gold. Also, they were certified Gold around the time they were released, so it's not a case of them being out forever and "slow burning" to Gold.

Interestingly, Criminal Minded isn't listed. I think this could be due to it being released on a minor record label that folded and didn't pay for the certification. Also, because it was released on a shaky record label, the album went through cycles of being out-of-print, and then re-released in a slightly different incarnation (and on a different label). I don't know how that affects any possible sales tallies.

In any case, I'd be shocked if those three albums went Gold but somehow Criminal Minded has not managed to move 500,000+ copies in its various incarnations over the years

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Cube was my rap hero as a kid. He will forever be my GOAT. So hard, so poignant, so G, and gave no fukks.

I copped everything Cube affiliated.
YoYo
Lynch Mob
Del
Mack-10
Short Chop

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wow. you're right. Criminal Minded isn't listed on RIAA but that was on B Boy records. They were bootleg as hell.

Yeah. I was kind of surprised as well when I first found out.

We think of BDP as underground and out of the mainstream, yet they had more mainstream success than a lot of hip-hop groups

Who would've thought, for instance, that BDP had more Gold albums than Big Daddy Kane?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Kane has 3. I mean, the first 2 BDP albums were everywhere and massive street hits but on Ghetto Music i actually recall Krs' press for the album as being purposely devoid of platinum objectives. He wanted to just make like a roots album. I guess the You Must Learn vid, which was huge, bolstered sales.

KRIS is a gawd. Play Jack Of Spades right now and get goosebumps.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Well then exclude NWA from cube. You can leave that trash WC album in because no one with any actual sense thinks much of that record.

:umad:That's a classic record b.

Now I can understand if you feel some sort of way about that album because of it's aim and where you grew up, but that don't stop that album from being fire musically. Which it clearly was.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kane has 3. I mean, the first 2 BDP albums were everywhere and massive street hits but on Ghetto Music i actually recall Krs' press for the album as being purposely devoid of platinum objectives. He wanted to just make like a roots album. I guess the You Must Learn vid, which was huge, bolstered sales.

KRIS is a gawd. Play Jack Of Spades right now and get goosebumps.

When I searched the RIAA database, only Kane's first two albums were listed as Gold

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Not that at all. I bought the album as a lifelong Cube fan. I legit idolized him, had the st ides poster, wore Raider jackets etc. That album was so far off musically from the Cube i knew & loved. Wack as hell. I know you westerners have those odd ears that allow you to jam janky stuff but where i'm from the beats have to go.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
When I searched the RIAA database, only Kane's first two albums were listed as Gold

Taste Of Choc didn't sell? I Get The Job Done was big. I guess word of mouth killed the albums sales. still the most tragic bus ride ever when we played that tape the first time.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Taste Of Choc didn't sell? I Get The Job Done was big. I guess word of mouth killed the albums sales. still the most tragic bus ride ever when we played that tape the first time.

"I Get The Job Done" was from It's a Big Daddy Thing

But yeah, I'm surprised Taste of Chocolate didn't go Gold

PHamm

Superstar
Daps
ice cube and 2pac are the only rappers with a legitimate claim to the GOAT title.