Next steps: Republicans say they're repealing minority-targeted scholarship programs

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Obama was a p*ssy for not fighting back against this :scusthov:
Name the mechanism he could have used to achieve this. And don't say recess appointment, because that would not have worked.

The Constitution not only assigns to the president the task of making nominations to the Supreme Court, setting off Senate review that may or may not result in approval, but it also gives the Chief Executive the opportunity to fill a vacancy on the Court temporarily, bypassing the Senate initially, if a nominee languishes in the Senate without final action.

Within a few hours after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, it became abundantly clear that, first, President Obama will choose a possible successor and try to get the Senate to go along, and, second, the GOP leadership of the Senate say they will try to block any such nominee from final approval.

If that does result in an impasse, President Obama may ponder the possibility of putting on the Court a new Justice of his choosing, to serve temporarily. The problem, though, is that less than two years ago, the Supreme Court severely narrowed the flexibility of such temporary appointment power, and strengthened the Senate’s capacity to frustrate such a presidential maneuver.

It is true that one of the Justices regarded as a giant on the Court’s history, William J. Brennan, Jr., actually began his lengthy career with just such a short-term appointment. The chances of that happening again today seem to have diminished markedly.

The presidential authority at issue in this possible scenario exists, according to Article II, when the Senate has gone into recess and the vacancy a president seeks to fill remains. Such an appointment requires no action at all by the Senate, but the appointee can only serve until the end of the following Senate session. The president (if still in office) can then try again during a new Senate session, by making a new nomination, and that must be reviewed by the Senate.

The Supreme Court had never clarified that power until its decision in June 2014 in National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning.

The decision was something of a compromise. The Court expanded the concept of when the Senate would be in recess so that the president could make a temporary appointment, but it also gave the Senate more control over when it does recess and how long the recesses last. The gesture toward the Senate’s choices was probably the more important result.

Here, specifically, is what the Court decided:

First, on the president’s side, the Court ruled that the recess appointment power applies when the Senate leaves town for a break in the middle of an annual sitting, or a break at the end of each annual session.

Second, also on the president’s side, the decision declared that the president during a recess can fill a vacancy even if the opening occurred well before the recess began.

Third, on the Senate’s side, the ruling made clear that it has to last more than three days, without saying how much more time must pass without the Senate out of town and doing nothing.

Fourth, strongly on the Senate’s side, the decision left it largely up to the Senate to decide when it does take a recess, allowing it to avoid the formality of a recess by taking some legislative action, however minor or inconsequential and however few senators actually take part in some action.

Suppose President Obama goes ahead with a nomination to the open seat on the Court, and suppose that the Republican-controlled Senate chooses not to allow that nominee. The GOP has enough seats in the Senate to control that scenario.

Suppose, then, that the Senate goes into recess to allow its members who are running for reelection to spend some more time campaigning back home.

Could President Obama make a nominee during that recess? Only if the Senate is taking a recess lasting longer than three days, and does not come in from time to time during that recess to take some minimal legislative action. Both of those circumstances would be entirely within the Senate’s authority.

In that circumstance, a recess appointment to the Court would not be within the terms of the Constitution, as spelled out in Article II.

The same situation would likely apply when this year’s Senate session comes to an end, and the senators take a recess before the next Congress assembles.

The bottom line is that, if President Obama is to successfully name a new Supreme Court Justice, he will have to run the gauntlet of the Republican-controlled Senate, and prevail there. The only real chance of that: if he picks a nominee so universally admired that it would be too embarrassing for the Senate not to respond.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Name the mechanism he could have used to achieve this. And don't say recess appointment, because that would not have worked.

Don't approve the next budget and shutdown the government.
Unsuccessfully attempting to secure SC seats due to questionable strategy is not the same as actively selecting justices willing to eliminate Affirmative Action and Roe v Wade. Lol. Republicans could have always just chosen reasonable justices, not right wing nuts. I don’t mostly support democrats because I think they’re the best politicians. I do so because their platforms largely align with my beliefs. Unfortunately they sometimes operate like punks, but that won’t make me support a party that goes against so much of what I believe.

What you said is like blaming your spouse for your cheating cause they didnt make you feel loved. Nah, YOU still decided to do it. Man up and own it.
Expecting some type of compromise from Repiblicans is dumb. They let you know what they are about. I never advocated voting for Repiblicans just expressed how pitiful and bad at strategy Dems are.
That's a horrible analogy. Again it assumes someone voted or supported Republicans when they didn't. I'm just saying the Dems are doing bad for our ideals. We're wives (voters) being mugged by our sworn enemy ( Repiblicans) and our husband (Democrats) has no idea how to defend us.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Didn't say one word about the actual topic at hand.

:dead: @ a crime bill reference in a fukking thread about republicans trying to eliminate minorities scholarships.

laughing-anthony-anderson.gif

I don't even know how(but I understand why) yall engage. It be the same posters with obvious agendas. When all else fails, Fall back to crime bill. Fall back to xenophobia, reach reach REACH. Not discuss what the original thread topic is about. These people are out for self interest and don't care about black people as a whole.

Yep the CBC wanted something done about crack so the crime bill was drafted. Young brehs don't know about the massive amount of concern trolling that happened back then.

Really the crime bill was Black people getting what they asked for.

Same thing sure the GOP nominated Clarence Thomas but he got over the finish line with CBC support. I guess they figured it would be no way he'd c00n out after he got a lifetime appointment.

white dudes just finessed the situation.

Hate to say it, but some of yall dumb as shyt, but because the stupidity is repeated on CNN, you think yall smart. I was responding to a post about politicians taking blame for anti black shyt with their own mouths and not being believed.

I came into this thread as I come into all 'wtf the republicans did now' threads, hoping to be enlightened on the democratic plan to push back.

Instead, EVERY. SINGLE. FUKKING. TIME., all the posts are about who ain't vote for who.

These threads literally give you a chance to spread voter-winning democratic propaganda, ie, this what they gon do,

Instead, EVERY. SINGLE. FUKKING. TIME., it devolves into voter- losing propaganda, shytting on who normally, when not black, are termed "the undecided."

I'm not on topic??? NEITHER TF ARE YOU. :mjlol:

Lastly, @Wiseborn- and I will continue to do this every time yall spread this pro-dem, anti-black propaganda- THE CBC VIGOROUSLY PUSHED BACK AGAINST THE CRIME BILL. Stop impugning those ppl's legacies with the LIE the dems told to take heat off them for, once again, siding with repubs over their own constituency. If you want a source, go see where I just had to shut down @Born2BKing dumb ass, to the point he stopped even arguing and changed the topic. Clown shyt.

Pro tip: If you wanna make the CBC not look like a klatch of catfish nugget eating c00ns, s/o Jim Clyburn, the lie you keep repeating is serving the opposite purpose. Slow as shyt, I swear. :mjlol:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
you bringing up bothsides instead of what the DEMS are gonna do to fight back against this...:what: is really fukking bizzare and this is the bullshyt i keep on about...:beli: but whatever bothsides are to blame yadda yadda yadda
Nice deflection but we are going to keep reminding bothsiders that this was very much foreshadowed in Trumps era.

Put the onus where it belongs. Republican states can now do what is in the OP. Dem states would not. A bad precedent has been set and there will be ramifications. What the dems can do is try to swing back the supreme Court but that doesn't happen until seats open up. So Americans will suffer the wrath of electing a racist for generations.

Next time agents run around saying people are throwing votes away remember this. Brehs Didn't get tangible and lost the ones I already had.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
Ya'll notice the people who claim the both sides shyt be no where to be found in threads like this? At least @ORDER_66 standing on his principle. Then they wanna get offended when people call them Republican agents.
Or maybe there's no point in arguing in threads like these because they're only gonna go one way

nikkas will call you a MAGA Republican for criticizing Dems even when you have proof that you voted democrat

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hate to say it, but some of yall dumb as shyt, but because the stupidity is repeated on CNN, you think yall smart. I was responding to a post about politicians taking blame for anti black shyt with their own mouths and not being believed.

I came into this thread as I come into all 'wtf the republicans did now' threads, hoping to be enlightened on the democratic plan to push back.

Instead, EVERY. SINGLE. FUKKING. TIME., all the posts are about who ain't vote for who.

These threads literally give you a chance to spread voter-winning democratic propaganda, ie, this what they gon do,

Instead, EVERY. SINGLE. FUKKING. TIME., it devolves into voter- losing propaganda, shytting on who normally, when not black, are termed "the undecided."

Lastly, @Wiseborn- and I will continue to do this every time yall spread this pro-dem, anti-black propaganda- THE CBC VIGOROUSLY PUSHED BACK AGAINST THE CRIME BILL. Stop impugning those ppl's legacies with the LIE the dems told to take heat off them for, once again, siding with repubs over their own constituency. If you want a source, go see where I just had to shut down @Born2BKing dumb ass, to the point he stopped even arguing and changed the topic. Clown shyt.

Pro tip: If you wanna make the CBC not look like a klatch of catfish nugget eating c00ns, s/o Jim Clyburn, the lie you keep repeating is serving the opposite purpose. Slow as shyt, I swear. :mjlol:

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps

"Pro-black" stalwart Harlemhottie deflecting to Democrats to distract from white supremacist Republicans as usual...

:unimpressed:

You was hoping to be enlightened on the democratic plan instead of all this complaining? In case you missed it, this measure was blocked and vetoed by the state's Democrat Governor. So yeah...you can actually stay on topic instead of "blindly" talking your battery powered right wing bullshyt

You didn't run in this thread to learn anything new. You ran in this thread to run interference for your yee haw bigot conservative daddies again. Tough few days for the TLRepublic00n bothsides clique

The conversation is about the blatant attempts by your Republican Party to suppress black rights and mobility in America, the dire need to get politically active against them, and the threat of the fake pro-black Republic00ns like you who are committed to suppressing that action for obvious reasons.

So once again lets stay on topic....

How do you feel about black scholarships?

How do you feel about Republicans attempting to repeal and eradicate these scholarships?

What do YOU think is the solution to Republicans targeting our rights? Please enlighten all us blind, stupid Dem supporters who plan to vote your fascist party the fukk outta here.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
We're wives (voters) being mugged by our sworn enemy ( Repiblicans) and our husband (Democrats) has no idea how to defend us.
This is an apt analogy.
Can you imagine if, under this hypothetical, there was some type of election where you had a say over whether your mugger or husband was in charge? You’d have to be fukking crazy to sit on the sidelines in that election right?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Obama had a democratic controlled congress his first two years in office. Although I don't think anyone would have predicted what's happening now.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Obama had a democratic controlled congress his first two years in office. Although I don't think anyone would have predicted what's happening now.
Scalia died in Obama’s last year in office, so I’m not sure what his first two years in office have to do with anything.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you bringing up bothsides instead of what the DEMS are gonna do to fight back against this...:what: is really fukking bizzare and this is the bullshyt i keep on about...:beli: but whatever bothsides are to blame yadda yadda yadda
Basically. Tired of these goofy bidensexuals trying to scare everybody about the republicans when the democrats are basically working with them by not doing anything to stop them. Why these people trying to fool folks intelligence like all of us are dumb? The democrat folks in position of power even said they wont do shyt specifically for black people. Kamala said it with an attitude, joe did with an attitude and folks in here telling us black folks to vote for them. These disrespectful clowns can eat a dikk. I find that shyt to be just like calling us racial slurs. They telling us we should act like we have no sense.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS

"Pro-black" stalwart Harlemhottie deflecting to Democrats to distract from white supremacist Republicans as usual...

You was hoping to be enlightened on the democratic plan instead of all this complaining? In case you missed it, this measure was blocked and vetoed by the state's Democrat Governor. So yeah...you can actually stay on topic instead of "blindly" talking your battery powered right wing bullshyt

You didn't run in this thread to learn anything new. You ran in this thread to run interference for your yee haw bigot conservative daddies again. Tough few days for the TLRepublic00n bothsides clique

The conversation is about the blatant attempts by your Republican Party to suppress black rights and mobility in America, the dire need to get politically active against them, and the threat of the fake pro-black Republic00ns like you who are committed to suppressing that action for obvious reasons.

So once again lets stay on topic....

How do you feel about black scholarships?

How do you feel about Republicans attempting to repeal and eradicate these scholarships?

What do YOU think is the solution to Republicans targeting our rights? Please enlighten all us blind, stupid Dem supporters who plan to vote your fascist party the fukk outta here.

Let me ask both of yall a question: As a registered democrat, am I allowed to disagree with the party on ANYTHING?

If so, how would I apprise them of my displeasure?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This is an apt analogy.
Can you imagine if, under this hypothetical, there was some type of election where you had a say over whether your mugger or husband was in charge? You’d have to be fukking crazy to sit on the sidelines in that election right?
But your husband in the past has also beat you, showed indifference to your abuse while expecting blind loyalty. So no not that crazy.