"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
interesting, why you say that? because from where i stand tupac was an elite MC with the wordplay

i also hold juvenile in very high regard though obviously not elite like a pac or jay. what you think of him lyrically?

Pac could cure AIDS and Cancer the same day and that clown would still find something bad to say.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
:heh: hey @TheIsleofMan I was in the most rural part of Holmes county Mississippi up til 1995 and was in jackson/ridgeland/Clinton MS from 1997ish til 20something.. where nobody was playing east coast shyt heavy til that cardboard cutout of 50 popped up in north park mall. Then everybody started rocking those training bra looking wifebeaters.

And even then WJMI wasnt pushing east coast music like that. I have no idea why dipset took off like it did, but it did. east coast shyt was on bebop record shop shelves collecting dust. only 3 or 4 cats was buying it consistently.

That specific enough for you? I cant speak for them cats I know are from New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Shrevport that's saying the same.

Now. tell us why we look stupid for telling yall what it was like where WE were at?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Down south ppl werent really listenin to most East Coast

The main influence for Cash Money was NWA and Pac....

I remember BG saying he liked and respected Nas but he couldnt "feel"him.

There was just a synergy between West and the South....both regions are more about feel/emotion/directness rather than academic wordplay

I dont think Juvy was dissing Jay
Most of us in 93-96 fukked with the West Coast. The east coast only got love when it was Bad Boy. It wasn't the smaller at the time artists like Jay, Nas, etc. At that time, it was Biggie and Puff as far as East coast

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I disgree fam, 400 degrees came out around that time at the end of 98, and Big Tymers was out before that and if that wasn't being played, it was something from No Limit being played down here. Nobody was walking into Circuit City copping Jay-Z

Nobody was messing with Jay (hard) maybe a few here and there, but nikkas weren't pulling up with Jay being played.

98, Snoop Dropped and Master P Last Don was still in rotation.
In Atlanta, it was all New Orleans music and some Houston till 2001 when Atlanta crushed the buildings. We always fukked with our own tho like Baby D, Pastor Troy, YYT, Lil Jon and before that Kilo the GOAT Ali

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
That a the truth tho. My bruh talking about Jay being some swag to the song. I had to remind him that he called that shyt wack too back then. Nobody in the A was listening to Jay. Unless they were from the east coast.
Only time I used to listen to east coast nikkas was watching MTV and I used to hate them because they barely played our music. The Box came and crushed the buildings because they played all of the Southern shyt.

Part of the reason I hated their sports teams. It was tied to hip hop. fukk the Yankees! Braves nikka

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Yea for the most part most cities in the south outside of New Orleans wasnt big on east coast artist

But man New Orleans loves philly rappers lol. Young gunz and freeway do 2-3 packed out shows a year out here :dead:

100s of New Orleans people flew to Atlanta last weekend to go to the meek mill show

And Jay-Z was big out here from 99 until from what I remember, has been pretty much been able to sell out the super dome every time he comes
nikkas do love Philly nikkas all across the South. I still remember the convos with nikkas about Cassidy being the best in the game. I remember them shyts vividly. nikkas from Decatur

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Yeah I remember being one of the few Jay fans from reasonable up until about fiesta remix video dropping. I don't think it had anything to do with Pac. Most rap fans down here stuck with the regional stuff and there was a lot to choose from back then.
Nah...when Pac was going strong, he was black America in every single spot. Especially those south nyggas. They started supporting their own after he was gone and had so many different down south copycats.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
it's that stigma that the south don't care about lyrics.

But yall over there, it's all bounce, accent and realness.

And lyrics aint shyt but words, rhythm and bounce.
It's not the truth at all. You need to be saying shyt but it's the way you say it as well.

Also, you either got to tell a story or vibe. Mr. Cheeks from NY and nikkas loved that Lights. Camera Action shyt caused it vibed.

Our legends like Kilo Ali ain't the best spitters but they are the best vibers.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Down south ppl werent really listenin to most East Coast

The main influence for Cash Money was NWA and Pac....

I remember BG saying he liked and respected Nas but he couldnt "feel"him.

There was just a synergy between West and the South....both regions are more about feel/emotion/directness rather than academic wordplay

I dont think Juvy was dissing Jay
But Pac was a east coast rapper, I think it had more to do with Pac being a more relatable artist. Pac got love everywhere he went and worked with rappers from all regions.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
in texas we listen to any and everything... Houston we had screw n swishahouse...

screw mixed everything didn't discriminate same 4 the house..

we didn't give a fukk bout the plex between pac n biggie..because 2 of the best freestylers in the suc were fans... pat was a biggie head...keke was a pac head...

pat was the one who put jay in the mix with screw...he had a tape with cashmere thoughts can I live..and aint no nikka on it

pimp started changing when he thought the roots was dissin too short,..so that's when pimp started that country rap tunes shyt.. we understood...but fukk what pimp was tombout we gone jam whatever..n its always been that..

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
But Pac was a east coast rapper, I think it had more to do with Pac being a more relatable artist. Pac got love everywhere he went and worked with rappers from all regions.

Born in the east sure....but spent his adulthood and started his music career in the West

Just like how Luda is a Southern artist even tho he is actually was born and spent the 1st 9 years of his life in Illinois

Afromaticz

All Star
Daps
Bruh, Pac dropped Thug Life Sept 24, 1994. Man was dead in less than 24 months after, but he gave us Thug Life, MATW, AEOM, Makaveli and random classics (official ones, like Made nikkaz, Never had a friend like me, Staring at the world through my rearview, etc).

I don't even count his posthumous shyt at all, that stuffs just bonus but it doesn't count, Pac catalogue stops at Makaveli for me

Four classics in 2 years, that's raps MJ 6-0, cant say shyt about it, you have to respect it and accept it

:manny:

that's a fact breh

RIP PAC :to:

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
Most of us in 93-96 fukked with the West Coast. The east coast only got love when it was Bad Boy. It wasn't the smaller at the time artists like Jay, Nas, etc. At that time, it was Biggie and Puff as far as East coast

Facts. I remember my friends were cracking jokes on me when I bought reasonable doubt. Took Jay a bit to get on. But when he did it was a wrap