"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Down south ppl werent really listenin to most East Coast

The main influence for Cash Money was NWA and Pac....

I remember BG saying he liked and respected Nas but he couldnt "feel"him.

There was just a synergy between West and the South....both regions are more about feel/emotion/directness rather than academic wordplay

I dont think Juvy was dissing Jay

Well that’s BS because the southeastern states did not have synergy with the west coast

:gucci:

Another case of the term “the south” being stupid.

What goes on in New Orleans and Texas doesn’t speak for what goes on in Virginia, Carolinas, Georgia etc.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
that's the best way I've heard it explained. its still like that in the South. nikkas generally just don't fukk with the traditional "East Coast" sound. Like on some Pimp C shyt...."they don't fucc with us, we don't fucc with them." There are some exceptions (50, DMX)...and nikkas will throw a token NY rapper in their top rapper lists.

But a lot of nikkas in the South still don't fukk with people Pac dissed :ufdup:

Except the south is massive region.

A bunch of people in the south eastern states would put a bunch of east coast rappers on their top list.

You naming Texas rappers is irrelevant.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I was debating brehs on here that stated that Jay and the East coast cats were being played heavy down here, and I kept asking them what songs were ppl down here fukking with from these cats? What song did Jay have out that would be played in the clubs in the south?? Nas snuck in with Hate me Now and If I ruled the world, but that was as farthest he went down here getting played.
The women from the East Coast got more play down here than the dudes from the East Coast, Foxy and Kim got more play, especially Foxy when she did the song with No Limit, Mia X, her stock went up a bit

Aint nobody riding around the city with a Jay CD in their car, or anybody from the East Coast with the exception of Biggie, Mase, and DMX. Everybody else from that coast was not played down here.

Speak for Louisinia. Not the south because what Louisiana dudes listen to vs what Carolina dudes listen to is different.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
If you're not from the South or Midwest, you'll never understand. During that time period in my upbringing, I "recognized" the talented rappers and great songs/albums dropped from East Coast cats......but I "felt" the songs from my region more. Jay is dope, but I guarantee anyone from the South or Midwest would rather hear this at a party....

Than this...

One song is from a random roster member on No Limit, while one is from NYC premiere MC, Babyface sample, high budget visuals, etc. It doesn't mean Youngbleed is a better MC or that Jay is trash, but we just "felt" Youngbleed song more. It's kinda hard to explain if you didn't live it.

Give me...

Over....

I guess it's no different than the jazz and blues era. While NYC was dancing around and flipping broads in big dresses to the sounds of Count Basie, cats in the south were sipping their moonshine in a tavern to some Miles Davis and his more soulful approach. Regardless of talent levels, some shyt just stick to your ribs a little different. No diss to Jay. But I know more people with Coming Out Hard cd than Reasonable Doubt. :yeshrug:

Don’t ever compare that trash to money cash hoes please.

There are many mediocre Jay Z tracks you can compare that song to.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Y’all make it like Jay Z is a local artist:mjlol:

The nikka been going gold/plat his whole career. I never see or hear this type talk with any other artist. News flash a$$holes just because u and your weird friends didn’t listen to him don’t mean your whole fukking state didn’t :pachaha:

Where the fukk was Jay Z when Mike was moonwalking at the 25 year anniversary of Motown?:damn:

Lol what’s why I can’t take these comments seriously. They speaking on what the south was fukking with as if Jay Z can’t go down down south now watered down and sell out the whole arena lol.

No worries those I’m sure they got a reasoning for that lol.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
From what I gather from this thread. Detroit had by far the best taste in music during the 90’s. We listened to everything. No bias.
I clearly remember being a pre teen and hearing

X clan
Lost boys
Scarface
2 live crew
Nas
Jay
Wu
Mobb deep
Coolio
Bone
Snoop
Dre
Az
Etc...

Whole fukking coasts just listening to 2 artist per city is crazy lol

And no u did not need to be a hiphop head to listen to a damn mobb deep or Illmatic lol

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
95-96, really 96, Pac was making his run, and he was everywhere, pretty much running the game and with that, most of everybody from down south rode with him, UGK was a house hold name, they were riders, 8ball and MJG were riders, most of the down south acts were riding for Pac or messed with the West Coast artists, thus the fanbase down here who manly listened to these southern artists rode with who they rode with which was Southern artists or West Coast. We couldn't relate to East Coast artist, aint had to time to figure out what you trying to say in witty ways, nah breh, get str8 to the point, I got this glock, aim'd and cocked is what we understand, or I'm trying to make a dollar outta 15 cents, is our language, str8 and to the point. We wasn't trying to hear all that jibber jabba from East Coast cats, and plus East Coast beats were wack and didn't move the crowd in the clubs or parties we went to, you couldn't even bump East Coast music in your cars at the time, dudes down here ride with 6 12's and 6x9 and twitters, we need bass coming down the street, wasn't no East Coast cats making music for the cutlasses, regals, and lacs, that's one of the reason why they, the East Coast cats aint get no play in the South too, shyt aint hit in the ride when heading out, or didn't knock in the club at the parties, hoes wasn't dancing to that shyt

DMX broke down here, his content was rough and str8 to the point in most of his songs. For the females it was the same way.

As for as Biggie, Big was on before Pac and him went to war, He had already established clout down here, Jay-z before RD, nobody never heard of dude down here, I think the first time folks heard about this Jay-z cat was when Pac said something about him, and then you start seeing his RD single with Mary on rap city or the box, and then brehs were like, oh that's the dude Pac was talking about or something, dude is a duck...fuk him...Biggie was lucky to have already had hits before Pac came at him, and when Pac came at him, ppl started to back off Biggie and bad boy, I should have been more clear, Biggie snuck in because his hits came before the 2pac beef, One more chance, Juicy, Get Money, etc...

If you listen to only Southern artists and they collab with West Coast cats and you see a West Coast artist blow up and take over and literally destroy a whole coast, then it only makes sense for you to ride on his side and not fukk with the other side.

Pac put a real dent in the music game at the time, things were a lot different from how they are now. There was no internet, so what you saw was what you saw which was pretty much on camera and back then 2pac didn't hold back and expressed himself and the south loved that passion and the fact that Southern artist put that in their music and lyric content only made the connection more solid with us and 2pac.

That's why Soulja Slim is geared our next 2pac, he just didn't give a shyt with what he would say about anything and it came off as a fukk you if you gotta problem with it vibe, plus he backed it up, and again that connects with the fan base down south because most brehs down south, especially in New Orleans really bout that life when it comes to it.

Tupac made music with heavy wordplay that didn’t get to the point to your southern standards, wasn’t a club banger artist, and had beats in his music that would be viewed as wack according to your long rant.

So according to your post I guess it was PASSION that set Tupac apart from the rest. Lol.

It’s so easy to spot ducktails on the coli.

Idk why dudes on here are making up stories when they can just keep it simple and say “The South was fukking with the west coast”

Writing up a paragraph of contradicting nonsense is weird.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This is Lil Keke,

What East Coast rapper, singer, song could come on in the club after this song and rock the party in 97, 98,

Name your biggest East Coast rapper and drop a song that have song that can come behind some shyt like this that would get hoes and brehs on the dance floor? Lol..

This song had hoes on the floor, and this some shyt from Texas that played everywhere in the South, I bet majority of folks on here that's not from the South haven't even heard this song

I’m sure Jay Z is so salty about lil Keke
Making club bangers in Texas.

Wonder if Lil Keke and Jay Z had a show in Texas right now who would sell out faster?

:mjlol:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:heh: hey @TheIsleofMan I was in the most rural part of Holmes county Mississippi up til 1995 and was in jackson/ridgeland/Clinton MS from 1997ish til 20something.. where nobody was playing east coast shyt heavy til that cardboard cutout of 50 popped up in north park mall. Then everybody started rocking those training bra looking wifebeaters.

And even then WJMI wasnt pushing east coast music like that. I have no idea why dipset took off like it did, but it did. east coast shyt was on bebop record shop shelves collecting dust. only 3 or 4 cats was buying it consistently.

That specific enough for you? I cant speak for them cats I know are from New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Shrevport that's saying the same.

Now. tell us why we look stupid for telling yall what it was like where WE were at?

whats was the success rate of the rappers you were listening to vs the success rate of the artist in the east coast that were collecting dust?

:patrice:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:mjlol: Jay did a solo show here for every album since vol.3 that sold out. Which was 99, fukk you think he was performing at? Y’all got to get out your lil bubble of thinking people only bump local artist

Jay just sold out the dome for 4:44 with Vic Mensa opening up lol

That’s why I can’t take these posters serious.

I’m very big on the success of artist and I don’t see why people are posting local talent as if it’s supposed to prove something?

Where are these local artist now cause Jay Z is still performing

:troll:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

'90s boom-bap is NOT the traditional east coast sound.

the south f*cks with '80s east coast hip-hop and is basically an off-shoot of it. they rock with east coast rappers who resemble it as well, either by sound or stylistically.

but yall gotta stop honoring these pimp c quotes just because he died. dude was just bitter because HIS music didn't pop off in the east coast. he even used to get upset when bun b would get call-ups and not him. that quote in the bolded is nothing but horse-chit.

most of the south & east coast are cousins as well.
moreso from places like florida, virginia, the Carolinas, etc
all black people with deep family roots in this country, have strong family ties to the south.

the east coast just alienated themselves from the rest of the country in the '90s with the daisy age, jazzamatazz & '90s boom bap. those sounds didn't really reasonate with the majority in other regions. I made a whole thread about it last year and a lot of east coasters on here, got in their feelings.

These comments are funny. Nobody related to boom bap accordingly but as soon as NY left it everyone started calling them dikk riders.

That’s why I support A boogie. The same nikkas calling him a dikk rider wouldn’t be fukking with him if he did boom bap.

Talking to southerners about hip hop is nauseating.

They don’t know what they want from other regions but will quickly support a one hit wonder in their region and try to compare their 1 club banger to a east coast artist with a successful career

:mjlol: