NBA re-ups media rights with ESPN and Turner. Players take L.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there's a soft cap. You can still go over. Most teams don't want to go over the luxury tax threshold.

I don't think the 50/50 is going to happen, but a true hard cap with no salary ceiling on individual contracts is needed to smaller markets to flourish.

I agree with your sentiment but if you really want the small market teams to compete you have to put a mechanism in place that allows them to keep their guys. If a guy gets offered $40 or $50 mil from OKC and the same from NY or LA most guys are going to the bigger market. I say you keep the max for FAs but remove it for the hometown team. Allow teams to pay whatever for the guys that they drafted with no restrictions or penalties. That way teams have no excuses when it comes to keeping their guys and guys can get their money. That and some draft reform that allows teams that don't completely suck to have a chance at top players would really help the small markets.

Last edited:

Gregg PopaBitch

A new testament in basketball
Daps
Reppin
RTT
http://www.runthetriangle.com/atlnewuni/

NBA DIGITAL
The NBA will continue its ground-breaking partnership with Turner for NBA Digital through which the companies manage jointly the NBA’s digital assets including NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA Mobile, NBA LEAGUE PASS, and WNBA.com. Launched prior to the 2008-09 season, the partnership will run through the 2024-25 season.
NBA TV will present over 100 regular-season games, an increase from 96 regular-season games, and up to nine postseason games. Currently available in 60 million homes, the network has had record viewership as part of NBA Digital.
TNT
• 64 regular-season games per year, up from a current 52 games
• Exclusive presentations of Opening Night and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day games
• Up to 45 playoff games during the first two rounds with exclusive presentations of conference semifinals games and one full conference finals series
• Exclusive presentations of the NBA All-Star Game and All-Star Saturday Night events
• Telecast of a first-ever, end-of-the-season annual NBA Awards Show
• Continuation of the Emmy award-winning “Inside the NBA” studio show
• TV Everywhere rights that allow for NBA content airing across Turner Broadcasting networks to be streamed live, delayed and on-demand across its digital platforms
• Digital media rights, including streaming TNT NBA games on a live, delayed and on-demand basis across all of its multimedia platforms
• Broader rights to distribute, via digital platforms, its NBA games and non-game programming, as well as new NBA-related content, on a live and on-demand basis
• Interactive online elements such as selected camera angles, statistic feeds and video to complement TNT’s game telecasts
• Enhanced content/digital rights to NBA content for Bleacher Report
• Exclusive broadband and other content for digital platforms, including studio shows
• Expanded event activation surrounding key NBA pillars such as Opening Night and playoffs
ABC
• 15 regular-season games on ABC beginning on Christmas and continuing on Sunday afternoons starting in January with the ability to move a few Sunday games to ESPN
• Exclusive regular-season, playoff and Finals broadcast coverage
• Best-of-seven Finals broadcast in primetime
ESPN
• 85 regular-season games primarily on Wednesday and Friday nights, up from 70 games
• 30 playoff games in the first two rounds, with exclusive coverage presentations of conference semifinals games and one full conference finals series
• Exclusive presentations of the NBA Draft and NBA Draft Lottery
• Up to 20 NBA Summer League games on ESPN and ESPN2
• Extension of WNBA media agreement through the 2025 season
• Presentation of NBA Development League games on ESPN networks and digital platforms
• Framework for ESPN and the NBA to negotiate the launch of a new over-the-top offering with the league receiving an equity interest
• Enhanced digital media rights to deliver NBA content for ESPN platforms, including ESPN.com, WatchESPN and ESPN podcasts
• Increased ESPN Audio game package including NBA Finals, playoffs and regular season
• Spanish-language rights for ESPN Audio
• Significantly more exclusive regular-season games, playoff games and NBA-focused programming on ESPN platforms in Latin America, Pacific Rim and the Caribbean
• Opportunities to stream ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 games on a live, delayed and on-demand basis across all of its multimedia platforms
NBA TV
• NBA and Turner to continue to manage jointly the NBA’s digital assets, which include NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, and the NBA Game Time app
• Over 100 regular-season games on NBA TV on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays, an increase from a current 96 games, and as many as nine playoff games on NBA TV
• Enhanced package of digital media opportunities

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree with you sentiment but if you really want the small market teams to compete you have to put a mechanism in place that allows them to keep their guys. If a guy gets offered $40 or $50 mil from OKC and the same from NY or LA most guys are going to the bigger market. I say you keep the max for FAs but remove it for the hometown team. Allow teams to pay whatever for the guys that they drafted with no restrictions or penalties. That way teams have no excuses when it comes to keeping their guys and guys can get their money. Than and some draft reform that allows teams that don't completely suck to have a chance at top players would really help the small markets.

How many advantages does the team that drafted them need? They already essentially have a star player locked in for the first 8-9 years of their career due to restricted free agency.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Hard caps depress salaries long story short.

What would really be interesting about a hard cap with guaranteed money is how players would fight amongst each other because there would be a limited amount of space and any franchise player will eat the lion's share of it

As long as the hard cap adjusts (similar to the NFL), I don't see what's so bad. I get that it does technically depress salaires, but It's the only way to ensure some sort of parity. If you kill the cap period, it would be a case of the haves and have nots. At least it gives equal footing as far as fukking up. :manny:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many advantages does the team that drafted them need? They already essentially have a star player locked in for the first 8-9 years of their career due to restricted free agency.

They don't have any real advantage as you can see by the number of top stars that have jumped ship during the first 8/9 years of their careers. I don't see who is hurt by a system that allows teams to keep their stars, build around those stars, and allows the stars to get paid their worth.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They don't have any real advantage as you can see by the number of top stars that have jumped ship during the first 8/9 years of their careers. I don't see who is hurt by a system that allows teams to keep their stars, build around those stars, and allows the stars to get paid their worth.

I don't think it's fair for teams that drafted a player to not only have restricted free agency rights but also not be restricted by a max contract. They already have the right to match whatever any team offers, why should they also get to bypass max contract restrictions? Not to mention they get bird rights for these players too. I just think those teams don't need that many advantages.

What in the current system is preventing these teams from being able to keep and build around their star players? They have the players locked up for the first 8-9 years of their career. Are you saying that's not enough time to put together a championship team?

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think it's fair for teams that drafted a player to not only have restricted free agency rights but also not be restricted by a max contract. They already have the right to match whatever any team offers, why should they also get to bypass max contract restrictions? Not to mention they get bird rights for these players too. I just think those teams don't need that many advantages.

What in the current system is preventing these teams from being able to keep and build around their star players? They have the players locked up for the first 8-9 years of their career. Are you saying that's not enough time to put together a championship team?

I am all for getting rid of restricted free agency as it is an oxymoron. Guys can bypass if they really want to though (see Monroe). Certain teams aka the bigger markets/warm weather cities have certain advantages that we can see have clearly overridden the current advantages that you speak of.

The biggest issue with the current system is the treadmill affect. If you have a star that's good enough to get you to or even close to the playoffs on his own then your chances of getting that complimentary player in the draft (which is the only way for smaller markets to get players) are diminished. It's not about time as much as it is opportunity. That's not to say that these orgs don't play their part as well but the way the current system is set up is really not fair to the smaller markets.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
there's a soft cap. You can still go over. Most teams don't want to go over the luxury tax threshold.

I don't think the 50/50 is going to happen, but a true hard cap with no salary ceiling on individual contracts is needed to smaller markets to flourish.
It's a soft cap in name only because unlike the previous CBA, the penalties are way more severe now. And no i dont think the NBA should get rid of the max salary.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
http://www.runthetriangle.com/atlnewuni/

NBA DIGITAL
The NBA will continue its ground-breaking partnership with Turner for NBA Digital through which the companies manage jointly the NBA’s digital assets including NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA Mobile, NBA LEAGUE PASS, and WNBA.com. Launched prior to the 2008-09 season, the partnership will run through the 2024-25 season.
NBA TV will present over 100 regular-season games, an increase from 96 regular-season games, and up to nine postseason games. Currently available in 60 million homes, the network has had record viewership as part of NBA Digital.
TNT
• 64 regular-season games per year, up from a current 52 games
• Exclusive presentations of Opening Night and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day games
• Up to 45 playoff games during the first two rounds with exclusive presentations of conference semifinals games and one full conference finals series
• Exclusive presentations of the NBA All-Star Game and All-Star Saturday Night events
• Telecast of a first-ever, end-of-the-season annual NBA Awards Show
• Continuation of the Emmy award-winning “Inside the NBA” studio show
• TV Everywhere rights that allow for NBA content airing across Turner Broadcasting networks to be streamed live, delayed and on-demand across its digital platforms
• Digital media rights, including streaming TNT NBA games on a live, delayed and on-demand basis across all of its multimedia platforms
• Broader rights to distribute, via digital platforms, its NBA games and non-game programming, as well as new NBA-related content, on a live and on-demand basis
• Interactive online elements such as selected camera angles, statistic feeds and video to complement TNT’s game telecasts
• Enhanced content/digital rights to NBA content for Bleacher Report
• Exclusive broadband and other content for digital platforms, including studio shows
• Expanded event activation surrounding key NBA pillars such as Opening Night and playoffs
ABC
• 15 regular-season games on ABC beginning on Christmas and continuing on Sunday afternoons starting in January with the ability to move a few Sunday games to ESPN
• Exclusive regular-season, playoff and Finals broadcast coverage
• Best-of-seven Finals broadcast in primetime
ESPN
• 85 regular-season games primarily on Wednesday and Friday nights, up from 70 games
• 30 playoff games in the first two rounds, with exclusive coverage presentations of conference semifinals games and one full conference finals series
• Exclusive presentations of the NBA Draft and NBA Draft Lottery
• Up to 20 NBA Summer League games on ESPN and ESPN2
• Extension of WNBA media agreement through the 2025 season
• Presentation of NBA Development League games on ESPN networks and digital platforms
• Framework for ESPN and the NBA to negotiate the launch of a new over-the-top offering with the league receiving an equity interest
• Enhanced digital media rights to deliver NBA content for ESPN platforms, including ESPN.com, WatchESPN and ESPN podcasts
• Increased ESPN Audio game package including NBA Finals, playoffs and regular season
• Spanish-language rights for ESPN Audio
• Significantly more exclusive regular-season games, playoff games and NBA-focused programming on ESPN platforms in Latin America, Pacific Rim and the Caribbean
• Opportunities to stream ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 games on a live, delayed and on-demand basis across all of its multimedia platforms
NBA TV
• NBA and Turner to continue to manage jointly the NBA’s digital assets, which include NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, and the NBA Game Time app
• Over 100 regular-season games on NBA TV on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays, an increase from a current 96 games, and as many as nine playoff games on NBA TV
• Enhanced package of digital media opportunities

This isn't enough. I'd like to see ABC take on more weekend NBA games with one saturday game atleast and 2 games minimum on sunday.

I like to see TBS and TNT do their 7pm and 8pm playoff game start times so we can have 4 playoff games not just on weekends but on weekdays as well.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'd also like to see late season flex scheduling where start times are changed and the best matchups are on tv and not the games scheduled 10 months in advance.

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
hard to believe nba telecasts are worth that price. nba gets like 2 million viewers per game. that isnt shyt

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
"the NFL is getting paid $1.84 for every viewer. ESPN and TNT, meanwhile, will pay the NBA a whopping $5.04 per viewer per game—or 274% as much"

:dead:

when espn and tnt cant pass a price increase on to advertisers, get ready for cable tv rates to skyrocket even more

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
If I'm the players, I would kill for the NBA to get rid of a cap and create a true free market.
Copy baseball's method of service time, have players be true FA after 5 years of service.

C-NICE

Jiggy is the lifestyle
Daps
Reppin
From Atlanta to San Fran to LA 4now
I am all for getting rid of restricted free agency as it is an oxymoron. Guys can bypass if they really want to though (see Monroe). Certain teams aka the bigger markets/warm weather cities have certain advantages that we can see have clearly overridden the current advantages that you speak of.

The biggest issue with the current system is the treadmill affect. If you have a star that's good enough to get you to or even close to the playoffs on his own then your chances of getting that complimentary player in the draft (which is the only way for smaller markets to get players) are diminished. It's not about time as much as it is opportunity. That's not to say that these orgs don't play their part as well but the way the current system is set up is really not fair to the smaller markets.
Brehs the smaller market teams do not help the nba/we as the consumer want to see NY LA CHI Boston flourish honestly. The nba isnt like the NFL where most fans are home body die hard. Its a reason why the hawks and bucks as well as other teams wont ever be on the caliber that these other destinations are. Also you have to take in NBA players are more visible so more money in advertising and you get that with the bigger markets.

SN.Players will opt out and hopefully they stand firm this time and get a good deal