WNBA Could Quadruple Media-Rights Fees to $240 Million Annually

Ethnic Cleansing

Fucc Slobks and Crabks
Daps
All they need now is a prominent lesbian entertainer to start dating one of these dykes and start coming to here games a la Taylor Swift-Kelce

:ehh:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Caitlin Clark is a force multiplier for attendance, TV ratings—and now WNBA media-rights fees.

Riding the wave that crested with Clark, the WNBA could quadruple its annual rights payout from TV partners, sources tell Front Office Sports.

The 12-team women’s basketball league currently draws a comically low $60 million per year from its TV and streaming deals with Disney, Amazon Prime Video, CBS, and Ion.

Under new long-term agreements being negotiated, the WNBA could boost its annual payout to the $240 million range, sources tell me.

The NBA, which owns more than 50% of the 28-year-old league, is leading WNBA media-rights talks as part of its own larger negotiation for $75 billion in long-term media rights going through the 2030s.

“The NBA is soliciting one total bid from media companies that does not separate the values of the NBA and the WNBA rights, according to people familiar with the process, and some media companies involved in the bidding are not assigning a specific figure to the WNBA rights,” according to The Washington Post. “That means the NBA’s massive deal could be rocket fuel for the WNBA—or that the WNBA’s increased popularity is more of an afterthought. It also could be a bit of both.”

My take? There’s no way the fast-growing WNBA will allow itself to be an afterthought this go-around. Those days are over. Rights fees are the financial lifeblood of sports leagues. If the WNBA doesn’t get the figure it wants, it has reserved the right to seek its own separate media deal outside the purview of the NBA.

Timing is important during contract negotiations. Right now, Clark is the most-talked-about, most-debated athlete in America. The media loves her. WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert now has the ammo to shoot down arguments that her league has not been able to break through into mainstream sports conversation.

Consider: With Clark suiting up for the Indiana Fever, the WNBA drew its most-watched opening month ever across ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, Ion, and NBA TV. Game telecasts averaged 1.32 million viewers, nearly triple last season’s average of 462,000 viewers. Viewership is up 60% among people of color, with viewership among Black and Hispanic people up 96% and 67%, respectively.

At the live gate, the WNBA posted its highest-attended opening month in 26 years, with 400,000 fans attending live games from through the end of May. Did we mention the sale of WNBA-branded merchandise rose 236% year-over-year?

I’m still shaking my head at USA Basketball’s unforced error of leaving the WNBA’s No. 1 overall draft pick off the Team USA roster for the Paris Olympics. Clark is the third-most positively perceived active basketball player in the U.S., according to YouGov, behind only LeBron James and Steph Curry. One-third of all WNBA attendance this year has been for Clark games.

The former Iowa superstar would have been a one-woman Dream Team attraction for NBC’s Olympic ratings this summer. But while NBC will lose short-term in the ratings, the league’s current and future media partners will see a long-term gain.

This was years in the making. Clark had nothing to do with this.