NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Post tge article
In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBAand Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league’s games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular-season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC is expected to keep the NBA Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract also is expected to be at least a decade in length.

All of the details are not finalized yet, but all sides are under the expectations they will get done. The NBA, Amazon and ESPN all declined to comment.

The NBA prefers to have three companies involved in its new deals but has not ruled out adding a fourth.

The NBA is finishing nine-year deals that pay it $2.6 billion on average from ESPN and TNT Sports. Those contracts end after the 2024-2025 season.

The advancement in the Amazon and ESPN talks leaves incumbent Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns network TNT Sports, to face off with NBC, owned by Comcast, for the likely last package of games. Warner Bros. Discovery has the right to match deals, but NBC could structure an agreement in a way that makes it difficult.

While there is still work to be completed for the final arrangements, the current packages are going to be pruned slightly to create the third partner. In one arrangement, ESPN will cut down from around 100 games to around 80, according to executives briefed on the talks.

A natural landing spot for Amazon’s regular-season games could be Thursday night, where it already has the NFL from September to early January. In recent years, the NBA has moved its games off Thursday during that time to not go head-to-head with the NFL. It is expected to then have significant playoff inventory. Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season.

The NBA has made it clear that it wanted to define itself for the next frontier of viewing with streaming at the forefront.

With ESPN, Amazon and the NBA all under the impression that they will complete deals, this puts the onus on TNT Sports, which has had the NBA since 1984. It is in a fight with NBC, which was the lead partner of the NBA before losing its rights in 2002. NBC, with its streaming service Peacock, wants back in and is competing with Warner Bros. Discovery Sports for a deal

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

The good thing is Amazon will probably do a better job producing and presenting the NBA than Disney.

I read that WBD would help with production if this happens. Which makes me think that WBD will re-up and there’ll be cross collab with NBA TV.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I guess since I just like the Griz and not a fan of the whole league, what is supposed to be so different in one network over the other? I thought we were just hoping they get the maximum money from whoever so the players get paid more

TNT presents the league better than ESPN does.

I think Amazon will do better than ESPN cause they seem to take presenting the NFL pretty seriously.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
The good thing is Amazon will probably do a better job producing and presenting the NBA than Disney.

I read that WBD would help with production if this happens. Which makes me think that WBD will re-up and there’ll be cross collab with NBA TV.
I'm assuming WBD/TNT is going to match any offer unless NBC goes crazy.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I'm assuming WBD/TNT is going to match any offer unless NBC goes crazy.
If NBC wants to pay, the reporting says the league hasn’t ruled out a 4th package.

If Comcast really wants in, there might be something with RSNs in addition to regular season games and some playoffs.

The RSNs owned by Comcast (NBC Sports California, NBC Sports Bay Area, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Boston) are all profitable. NBC Sports Washington was sold to Ted Leonsis in 2022.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Amazon streaming sucks balls. The only streaming network that broadcasts games in a manner that makes it worth watching is Apple TV. Their baseball presentation destroys everyone else’s.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
If NBC wants to pay, the reporting says the league hasn’t ruled out a 4th package.

If Comcast really wants in, there might be something with RSNs in addition to regular season games and some playoffs.

The RSNs owned by Comcast (NBC Sports California, NBC Sports Bay Area, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Boston) are all profitable. NBC Sports Washington was sold to Ted Leonsis in 2022.

I think NBC is likely out if the Finals aren’t in the picture unless it’s a combined package with WBD as Nick Khan floated out awhile back. That would be a tough L for them considering they didn’t bother to retain the NHL in hopes to get bigger rights like the NBA.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I think NBC is likely out if the Finals aren’t in the picture unless it’s a combined package with WBD as Nick Khan floated out awhile back. That would be a tough L for them considering they didn’t bother to retain the NHL in hopes to get bigger rights like the NBA.
It’s looking like no Finals. Disney took it.

Sucks!!!!

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
ESPN/ABC is expected to keep the NBA Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract also is expected to be at least a decade in length.

908b62d6231dae4412ecc5ed981ac04f.gif

The NBA cannot allow these a$$holes at espn to have exclusive access to the Finals for a decade. Not after abc just swindled their way into the Super Bowl rotation. As part of a rotation with NBC? Fine.

S*** I'd even impose opt-outs / league options in these TV contracts after a few years to let someone else ante up for a shot.

ESPN is like the Madden of NBA broadcast partners, especially with the Finals. They have no competition so they don't have to worry about improving their product. You let them have unimpeded access for 10+ more years and you think that shyt gon be better?

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
TNT presents the league better than ESPN does.

I think Amazon will do better than ESPN cause they seem to take presenting the NFL pretty seriously.

Do you mean like half time and post game shows or the actual production

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
908b62d6231dae4412ecc5ed981ac04f.gif

The NBA cannot allow these a$$holes at espn to have exclusive access to the Finals for a decade. Not after abc just swindled their way into the Super Bowl rotation. As part of a rotation with NBC? Fine.

S*** I'd even impose opt-outs / league options in these TV contracts after a few years to let someone else ante up for a shot.

ESPN is like the Madden of NBA broadcast partners, especially with the Finals. They have no competition so they don't have to worry about improving their product. You let them have unimpeded access for 10+ more years and you think that shyt gon be better?
In 21 years, Disney hasn’t been able to produce an opening montage like this

It’s truly incredible

(Yes, I know TV has changed but for God’s sake, look at NBC Sunday Night Football to ESPN Monday Night Football openings!)

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
In 21 years, Disney hasn’t been able to produce an opening montage like this

It’s truly incredible

(Yes, I know TV has changed but for God’s sake, look at NBC Sunday Night Football to ESPN Monday Night Football openings!)

See that's were I think I just aged out, or I'm too cynical. I would never been tuned in that early to see a pre game montage :pachaha: .