NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
The biggest complaint for games being on all of these different services is: having the games on apps is restricting.

For example, if I want to watch the NBA game on Peacock, or Max, I have to log into that app, so it takes away the ease of changing the channel to another game during a timeout or a blowout. Or if I wanted to flip between the Peacock game, and a college game on ESPN or something. Or if I have League Pass, I cant flip back to the Max game cause its only available there.
nikkas crying about having to switch to another app? Are you from 1937?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
The NFL bosses wanted a big number too, but they established TNF internally before involving Amazon and didn't cross their existing stable partners for that deal. The same with YouTube and NFL ticket. The Netflix deal is the Christmas games.....and if I were a betting man I'd say that's where Red Zone will end up eventually. It happened with baby steps and I can see what they're doing by funding the flag football championships both men and women in a ton of countries.

It's something the NBA would've had to do eventually, but going scorched earth like this seems like it'll be a net negative in the end especially since Warner seems cool with playing dirty pool to keep it.
This isn’t what happened. The NBA didn’t go scorched earth. WB tried to play hard ball and said they didn’t need the NBA to keep costs down and Silver went and found people willing to throw a bag. They were caught off guard and fumbled during their exclusive window and then Amazon came in with money they couldn’t match. Even Netflix and YouTube flirted with the idea. TNT was arrogant. And the NFL’s existing partners were not happy about the NFL adding new partners but they can’t do shyt about it.

calh45

Cal
Daps
This isn’t what happened. The NBA didn’t go scorched earth. WB tried to play hard ball and said they didn’t need the NBA to keep costs down and Silver went and found people willing to throw a bag. They were caught off guard and fumbled during their exclusive window and then Amazon came in with money they couldn’t match. Even Netflix and YouTube flirted with the idea. TNT was arrogant. And the NFL’s existing partners were not happy about the NFL adding new partners but they can’t do shyt about it.

They did though. They chopped up everything into smaller pieces AND charged more for the smaller pieces without a head's up then said take it or leave it when they know they have declining viewership. That's not operating in good faith on any level. NBC's thirstiness levels was the only leverage they had to jack the price up on smaller portions. As much as people like to shyt on Zaslav his assessment wasn't wrong. They chopped it up and wanted more money. That's nuts on the face of it.......especially when it seems like owners are using this TV deal as a valuation play to sell their teams. That's what the Celtics owner is doing. That's why the Suns went for so much money.

The NFL over the air partners had a chance to bid on TNF, but they all passed. They could be upset about the new partners, but they had a chance to bid BEFORE Amazon came in and paid the money out. Both Fox AND CBS partnered with the NFL on TNF and passed on it.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
They did though. They chopped up everything into smaller pieces AND charged more for the smaller pieces without a head's up then said take it or leave it when they know they have declining viewership. That's not operating in good faith on any level. NBC's thirstiness levels was the only leverage they had to jack the price up on smaller portions. As much as people like to shyt on Zaslav his assessment wasn't wrong. They chopped it up and wanted more money. That's nuts on the face of it.......especially when it seems like owners are using this TV deal as a valuation play to sell their teams. That's what the Celtics owner is doing. That's why the Suns went for so much money.

The NFL over the air partners had a chance to bid on TNF, but they all passed. They could be upset about the new partners, but they had a chance to bid BEFORE Amazon came in and paid the money out. Both Fox AND CBS partnered with the NFL on TNF and passed on it.
Nbc just turned down a baseball deal that went to Roku of all ppl

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

You have a very unique definition of good faith and I don’t think you’re seeing this through anything but wanting the NBA on TNT. Nothing you said is accurate or makes any business sense. And respectfully, you’re either struggling to understand what an exclusive negotiating window is or you’re purposefully misrepresenting facts.

You seem to think matching rights means that I have to continue to operate my business the exact same way that I did when the rights were established and that evolution means I did something wrong. You even went on some random tangent about declining ratings as if I’m supposed to not go get additional sources of revenue because of that. The very fact that ESPN paid more money and that NBC paid more money is evidence that Zaslav was wrong. But somehow you think “they were just thirsty” is somehow an argument or evidence of the NBA doing something wrong. I’m honestly just scratching my head but I guess their public pleas worked on you.

The NFL partners did not in anyway like Netflix coming in to get NFL Christmas games. The NBA literally allows games to be streamed on HBOMax when they could’ve said no. What are we talking about here? Bro, you’re not making any sense - like on any level.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
What happens to NBATV in all of this?
If WBD is completely out, I think the NBA takes the network back in house or they have Comcast run it since they have the 'B' package now.

Especially since Peacock is going to be airing Monday games where as currently NBATV is airing Monday games nationally.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
IMG-0923.jpg
Also this whole notion of people needing to have 6 or 7 or however many streaming apps to watch the NBA sounds hilarious when 5 of the 7 nights the NBA is on TV will be accessible to anyone who had cable last year...getting NBC back in the mix is huge for the league

Sundays: head to head with football unless they mean Sundays after February.

Tuesdays: Cool

Wednesdays: Cool

Thursdays: Maybe, I don't really like being stuck in an app. Will depend on the game I guess

Fridays: Maybe

Saturdays: maybe.