NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
He just responded to me :mjlol:

Basically they don't want to pay a billy for those trash ass games
They're not stupid
From what Simmons reported, the big sticking point for TNT was that they were gonna lose the conference finals every other year, since that's how the B & C packages will work. Amazon and NBC will rotate conference finals every other year. They didn't wanna pay such a significant amount more for what will amount to less games than they had before and in turn that's why the negotiations slipped last the exclusivity window.
I could see why WBD wasn't exactly keen on paying billions to have a worse package than they had previously but the alternative is what they're left with now, where they've completely lost the NBA.
It was kind of a damned if you do completely fukked over if you don't situation and they wound up with the latter

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Maybe a dumb question but could Amazon raise their bid if TNT matches?

I believe the process goes Amazon (and the others) sign the contracts and the contracts are presented to WBD and WBD has 5 days to "match"

So, WBD would be "matching" whatever is already signed.

But some people have reported that WBD doesn't have matching rights to the Amazon deal.... People close to WBD have said they believe they do.. that's why some are speculating on whether it lands in court. I'm sure lawyers have already been involved at this point.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Maybe a dumb question but could Amazon raise their bid if TNT matches?
I think it’s like restricted free agency

Once Amazon’s offer is in, Warner Brothers Discovery has 5 days to match.

If they match, I think they believe they retain the rights

But it’s all up in the air in legal contract jargon that the public has no clue about

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
But it’s all up in the air in legal contract jargon that the public has no clue about

I don't think any of the journalists have a clue either. That's why people like Bill Simmons are changing their tune from "it's done and it's been done!" to now saying "is WBD really gonna be a sore loser and go to court?!"

fukking guy has no clue that WBD paid for these matching rights so they are well within their right to explore exactly what is covered by them.

I'm not saying Zaslav has played this "well" obviously but he knows way more about the language of the contracts than someone with a podcast talking shyt. lol