NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Pro sports is one of the most sustainable business models in history
By passing the costs along to the consumer.

All of these hundred million dollar contracts, billion dollar stadiums, multi-billion dollar TV deals...it's not the owners paying for them.
It's dispersed cost, concentrated benefit theory in practice.

But as the dispersed cost grows to become a more noticeable and impactful chunk of the consumer's budget, the bigger the risk to those with the concentrated benefits.
You are seeing a similar thing happen slowly with subscription services across all industries right now.

Actually, this would already be a much, much bigger problem had it not been for corporate takeover of a lot of sports purchasing in the last few decades. If the consumer were mostly the retail fans, this thing would have blown up a while ago.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
:mjlol: at people in here saying they won’t get this

Live sports is the only thing people watch that is appointment TV…

The NBA will get what it wants

WNBA max about to be 750k :wow:

(just a joke, I'm just playin, I'm just playin)

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
By passing the costs along to the consumer.

All of these hundred million dollar contracts, billion dollar stadiums, multi-billion dollar TV deals...it's not the owners paying for them.
It's dispersed cost, concentrated benefit theory in practice.

But as the dispersed cost grows to become a more noticeable and impactful chunk of the consumer's budget, the bigger the risk to those with the concentrated benefits.
You are seeing a similar thing happen slowly with subscription services across all industries right now.

Actually, this would already be a much, much bigger problem had it not been for corporate takeover of a lot of sports purchasing in the last few decades. If the consumer were mostly the retail fans, this thing would have blown up a while ago.
Sports is infinitely scalable so the model will sustain. As long as consumers are running towards happiness or running away from pain pro sports will always be a valuable escapism for money to be spent on.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sports is infinitely scalable so the model will sustain. As long as consumers are running towards happiness or running away from pain pro sports will always be a valuable escapism for money to be spent on.
Maybe you're right.

I just have to think at some point it has to break. Things are trending towards $700M contracts, $300 jerseys, $200 tickets to the nosebleed section...I don't know where the line is but there has to be one. Right?
Maybe not. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Maybe you're right.

I just have to think at some point it has to break. Things are trending towards $700M contracts, $300 jerseys, $200 tickets to the nosebleed section...I don't know where the line is but there has to be one. Right?

You’re not wrong at all as there’s going to be a tipping point eventually where fan get priced out and those salaries have to come down. It happens in all walks of life and sports won’t be an exception. It’s why those sports league better get the money while they can it as the growth isn’t sustainable regardless of what the numbers and metric say.

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
Maybe you're right.

These leagues know what fans are willing to pay through their marketing research. They don’t just sell tickets to the game instead they market the tickets as an experience. People will pay for life experiences.

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
You’re not wrong at all as there’s going to be a tipping point eventually where fan get priced out and those salaries have to come down. It happens in all walks of life and sports won’t be an exception. It’s why those sports league better get the money while they can it as the growth isn’t sustainable regardless of what the numbers and metric say.
If price come down it won’t be because of money instead it will be because of the actual quality of the product. If fans are not getting a valuable experience then they will start complaining about the prices. The perceived value of sports has to match the price.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Maybe you're right.

Fans hate players more and more and perhaps a younger generation that doesn't like sports as much will break that model but that won't be for a long time.

and that generation is the "you know the fukkin vibes" generation, and there's few places you'd rather be than inside of a sports arena or stadium when shyt is bonkers.

That logic is exactly why MSG is never empty, no matter how trash AND expensive the on court product is.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
If price come down it won’t be because of money instead it will be because of the actual quality of the product. If fans are not getting a valuable experience then they will start complaining about the prices. The perceived value of sports has to match the price.

Which we’re already starting to see now with the complaints about load management and Silver is trying to come up with different ways to solve the problem. The playoffs help mask that problem, but it’s not going away.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Maybe you're right.

I feel you

The same could be said with the economy as a whole ( housing, wages, inflation , college tuition. Ect)

Guess we gotta wait and see what comes of this :yeshrug: