MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

LightSkinYeshua

All Star
Daps
Downtown Brooklyn just opened up albaee drafthouse movie theater. Gotta be over 21 because they sell liquor. :blessed:

No kids and the seats were cheep. Paid 15.50 for Annabelle creation (dope flick) compared to court street which was 20.50.

They got a waiters during the movie serving u burgers and shyt. Thats my new dating spot :myman:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I've been a Moviepass user for almost 5 years running now. Love the service despite a few frustrations.

This new shyt has me a tad worried if I'm being honest
AMC wanting to block it has me out even at that $10 price. :mjcry:

Plus I always order my tickets a few days or a week in advance and like reserving my seat and getting my rewards points.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
AMC wanting to block it has me out even at that $10 price. :mjcry:

Plus I always order my tickets a few days or a week in advance and like reserving my seat and getting my rewards points.

Ya, you can still check into something else and by any advance ticket. Unless they change their model, they'll never know.

Daps
I'm not understanding how they'll make more money off you unless what breh beneath you said is the case

They'll make more money off of me because I don't spend anywhere close to $120/year on movies right now. Last movie I saw in the theater was Get Out. Only movie this year. I likely won't see more than two more this year if that. Obviously they'd make less on those who do go to the movies more often, but I'd bet there's more people who go to less than 8 movies a year than those who go to more.

It's a similar concept to streaming services. Most people weren't spending $120 a year for music, yet many are paying that now.

Daps
@Shadow King I don't think I'm articulating this well, so let me try to show how this benefits all 4 parties: Moviegoers, theaters, Hollywood, and the 3rd party company running the app/program.

Moviegoers who spend more than $120/year obviously benefit cuz they'd spend less. Those who spend less than $120/year benefit because they see more movies. Like I said in my other post I've only seen one movie in the theater this year, yet I'd still likely join in on this cuz I do like movies and $10/mo is so low. If I had this plan, I'd see a bunch of movies I was on the fence about. I hate wasting money on a movie, so this removes that anxiety since I don't have to make a conscious decision to pay for a given movie each time. Bored on a random day, I'd go to a movie just cuz.

It benefits theaters because their operating costs are pretty flat. It costs them about the same to show a movie to 10 people as it does 100. However, the 100 person showing will bring in significantly more non-ticket revenue.

It benefits Hollywood because the "average" moviegoer does not spend $120/year (this is obviously a fact that would have to be checked lol), so if they can raise the average to that amount they make more money. Also, with more people watching movies in theaters, it increases the exposure and impact of movies (higher backend)

The 3rd party benefits from collecting a small portion of that $10/month, which adds up very quickly.

The key is determining what that real "average" spend is for moviegoers on themselves (not dates, or other family members). It would also depend on how many low spenders like myself would join (that's why I say you'd have to keep it low...at $10 i think many would).

There are several immediate hurdles that I see. First, how do you ensure there's no sharing of benefits? Second, going to the movies is such a communal affair for a large percentage of the crowd. So how do you deal with dates, or people bringing their families? Maybe allow a member to purchase individual tickets for dates and devise some sort of family plan? A lot would have to be flushed out, but I do think it could be quite profitable.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
am i doing something wrong, site still don't work. should i be downloading an app or does this shyt work on a got damn computer :angry:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
They only doing mjr in Detroit. Guess amc pulled out successfully

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I heard the app is tricky though. Go to AMC on Tuesdays when it is $5 to test it out first.

Can't use it on IMAX or 3D movies.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
10 dollars a month is too cheap. they should sell movies a la carte instead :yeshrug: