MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Only bad thing is that you have to buy on site. It could lead to losing out on good seats unless you have time to get to the theater ahead of time.

We been eatin' good off these companies and their unsustainable pricing :wow:

Imma enjoy it while it lasts before they go bankrupt like Uber is about to :mjlol:
I wonder if I use a App like Atom, like I have before I would be able to see available seats visually before hand. Maybe that might help.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I've been a Moviepass user for almost 5 years running now. Love the service despite a few frustrations.

This new shyt has me a tad worried if I'm being honest

Daps
I kind of get what he's saying but he did word the shyt funny :skip:

If this gets big enough it could kill Hollywood.

How would it kill Hollywood? I know I don't spend more than $120/year on movies. The bigger it got the better it would be for Hollywood.

I don't know if $10 is the sweet spot, but $30 is surely to expensive. At $30 you're only gonna get those who regularly go to movie theaters anyways. At $10 it's cheap enough that you'll get those who don't go regularly to the theaters to buy in. With fuller theaters, Hollywood should be able to convince the theater to take a smaller percentage of the ticket sales because whether there's 10 people in a theater or 100 people in a theater, the operating cost for the theater is pretty much the same. But with 100 people in the theatre, they could sell more concessions.

I love this idea.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I've been a Moviepass user for almost 5 years running now. Love the service despite a few frustrations.

This new shyt has me a tad worried if I'm being honest
What's the difference between then and now?
How would it kill Hollywood? I know I don't spend more than $120/year on movies. The bigger it got the better it would be for Hollywood.

I don't know if $10 is the sweet spot, but $30 is surely to expensive. At $30 you're only gonna get those who regularly go to movie theaters anyways. At $10 it's cheap enough that you'll get those who don't go regularly to the theaters to buy in. With fuller theaters, Hollywood should be able to convince the theater to take a smaller percentage of the ticket sales because whether there's 10 people in a theater or 100 people in a theater, the operating cost for the theater is pretty much the same. But with 100 people in the theatre, they could sell more concessions.

I love this idea.
They're saying they buy tickets to these movies at full price, but how many are they buying? If you have a Marvel movie with a $100M budget, is Moviepass buying 10M tickets? That same week you got a new Scorsese film with a $55M budget, is Moviepass buying 5.5M tickers for the studio to break even? How about some kids movie with a $60m budget the following week? 6m tickets are getting bought?

Concessions help theatres, not Hollywood studios. Movies are made off the backs of other movies doubling, tripling and sometimes quadrupling the expenses made to get it done, and that's not including the unknown figures to promote. If every movie is done by Moviepass and breaks even or less, will studios be able to keep producing movies?

This seems like a bubble that starts out nicely but bursts when less and less movies are being produced.

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Would say this would not happen, but its a win win for all parties......

Concession sales go up

Studios now get compensated monthly from all parties when the average person might spend 50 dollars a year on the admission price, now they are paying 120

And Netflix gets additional revenue from people who probably wont go to the movies any more or less then they already do......

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Gotta fukk Around And Leave Your Borough

son...over the years i slowly inched my way into the CAC areas in NY for my movie going experiences....went from MJ theater in Harlem...to Yonkers...To Central Ave...now i'm all the way in Ridgehill....might have to go out of state soon...:francis:

Daps
They're saying they buy tickets to these movies at full price, but how many are they buying? If you have a Marvel movie with a $100M budget, is Moviepass buying 10M tickets? That same week you got a new Scorsese film with a $55M budget, is Moviepass buying 5.5M tickers for the studio to break even? How about some kids movie with a $60m budget the following week? 6m tickets are getting bought?

Concessions help theatres, not Hollywood studios. Movies are made off the backs of other movies doubling, tripling and sometimes quadrupling the expenses made to get it done, and that's not including the unknown figures to promote. If every movie is done by Moviepass and breaks even or less, will studios be able to keep producing movies?

This seems like a bubble that starts out nicely but bursts when less and less movies are being produced.

My bad, I was referring to a Netflix-like paradigm, not movie pass where they buy the tickets. They'd have to revamp the system for it to work, to where the studios and the theaters split the revenue in a different manner than they split individual tickets. Yes concessions only help the theaters, which is why the theaters can be sold on taking a smaller piece of the "ticket" revenue while Hollywood gets more.

The crux of the issue is how much the average movie goer spends on movie tickets a year. I'm thinking it's less than $120/year.