MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

Daps
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Gotta fukk Around And Leave Your Borough

My movie theatre is quaint and convenient. Of course chances are I'm moving back to Brooklyn soon so I'll have to abandon it :francis::francis::francis:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
How much were you paying before? What was the downsides to it?

Between $30 and $40 a month. Old rule prevented seeing the same movie more than once, bit that's gone. They tried lots of weird things to prevent people circumventing their rules or even from using it to often. This, if it works like they say it will, is far and away the best it's been. If you see even 2 movies a month, this is a no-brainer. I see like 8 a month, so even at $40 I was way ahead.

I think all you guys taking about this in terms of concessions and profit are missing the key point. A huge chunk of the company was sold yesterday to an analytics firm. That's where they're expecting to make their money. Selling your data, habits, etc. Who knows if that's a profitable goal.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
My bad, I was referring to a Netflix-like paradigm, not movie pass where they buy the tickets. They'd have to revamp the system for it to work, to where the studios and the theaters split the revenue in a different manner than they split individual tickets. Yes concessions only help the theaters, which is why the theaters can be sold on taking a smaller piece of the "ticket" revenue while Hollywood gets more.

The crux of the issue is how much the average movie goer spends on movie tickets a year. I'm thinking it's less than $120/year.
Theatres already only get like 10-20% of ticket revenue. I can imagine if Moviepass is buying the tickets straight up then theaters probably won't see any.

And the $120 part may be true but how many movies is that? 6-10 depending on if you go solo vs a date. But $10 a month when probably a dozen movies come out each month alone that we can see all of means somebody's losing a nice chunk of money.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Don't go to the movies often but when I do it's usually in the daytime on a weekday so I don't really deal with teenagers when they in school. Gonna check this out. Only ten bucks a month and not bad if you go once or twice considering the costs of tickets these days. Far as food, you can sneak in your own candy atleast. And maybe even drink.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Yep most don't even take the time to calibrate their projectors as part of maintanance.
You got loud ass kids and adults, overpriced snacks.

I got a 65 inch at home and I'm planning to upgrade to and 85 inch and use a projector for 100+ films and action movies.

A lot of people are doing this now, there is no argument IMO for movie theaters anymore, except for IMAX.

Home theater tech has arrived.
This is nowhere near the norm yet...

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i'll sneak a burger into that bytch regardless. no concession sales coming from this coli breh.

Daps
Theatres already only get like 10-20% of ticket revenue. I can imagine if Moviepass is buying the tickets straight up then theaters probably won't see any.

And the $120 part may be true but how many movies is that? 6-10 depending on if you go solo vs a date. But $10 a month when probably a dozen movies come out each month alone that we can see all of means somebody's losing a nice chunk of money.

Solo vs date doesn't matter, it's about how much you spend on your tickets because your date is not going to be able to get in on your pass (at least the way I'm envisioning it). Perhaps a discounted date option offered on a power movie basis?

If you pick the right number, I'm confident they'd make more under this model. I don't believe most people see 6-10 movies a year in the theaters right now. So for people like me, I'd see more movies if I had the pass, but the cost to Hollywood hasn't gone up (they were going to produce those movies anyway), they just made more money off me.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this isn't new nor is It good

in UK I pay £7.99 and can see UNLIMITED movies, ive spent literally all day at the theatre before with my movie pass. and this wack shyt tryna limit people to one movie a day? FOH

America stay being behind the curve sometimes to the point its odd

HHR

Do what you love
Daps

Moviepass pays the theater for the ticket at the theater's price. When you check in to a movie, the cost of a ticket is loaded onto your debit card, with which you then pay for said ticket.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I hardly ever watch movies, but this is a good deal for consumers obviously.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I dont go to movies often because of how high tickets are. So i only wait til like a Marvel movie drops or something like star wars or fast and furious or something.

10$ a month?? Im def in there.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
I remember reading that most movie theaters make their money from popcorn and their other outrageous food prices and it can take almost a month or more before they start making money on movies they are showing.

Is this true or bs?

I believe so because the syrup for the soda costs them about 9 cents a cup so it's like 900% markup

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Solo vs date doesn't matter, it's about how much you spend on your tickets because your date is not going to be able to get in on your pass (at least the way I'm envisioning it). Perhaps a discounted date option offered on a power movie basis?

If you pick the right number, I'm confident they'd make more under this model. I don't believe most people see 6-10 movies a year in the theaters right now. So for people like me, I'd see more movies if I had the pass, but the cost to Hollywood hasn't gone up (they were going to produce those movies anyway), they just made more money off me.
I'm not understanding how they'll make more money off you unless what breh beneath you said is the case
Moviepass pays the theater for the ticket at the theater's price. When you check in to a movie, the cost of a ticket is loaded onto your debit card, with which you then pay for said ticket.
This is the old model or now?