MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
IMAX is def dope. And no every movie isn't good, most aren't. But that still doesn't stop people from wanting to get out the house, or go on a "date", drop the kids off while you run errands etc... I'm more so referring to the experience, the social/psychological aspect. I just don't think movie theaters are going anywhere, even as people find more and more ways to deliver content.

And it's still public pools around my way. :yeshrug:

No problem with that, just don't see the benefit from a business standpoint. of giving 50% of your movie revenue when you could get 100% of it and make movie chains pay you for the privilege of being able to show their content.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Gotta fukk Around And Leave Your Borough

I only got to early matinees or the last showings

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Lower the concession prices, not the ticket prices

So much this. It's highway robbery spending almost 20 bones for 3 tickets (family) and having to spend 11 dollars on popcorn and a drink:scust:. You could avoid the concession and just hit up the flick, but you are greeted by a friggin video with various couples drinking fukking coke and eating popcorn:mjcry:. It's like well damn...now its embedded in my head to get a coke and some popcorn:dwillhuh:.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
@Shadow King I don't think I'm articulating this well, so let me try to show how this benefits all 4 parties: Moviegoers, theaters, Hollywood, and the 3rd party company running the app/program.

Moviegoers who spend more than $120/year obviously benefit cuz they'd spend less. Those who spend less than $120/year benefit because they see more movies. Like I said in my other post I've only seen one movie in the theater this year, yet I'd still likely join in on this cuz I do like movies and $10/mo is so low. If I had this plan, I'd see a bunch of movies I was on the fence about. I hate wasting money on a movie, so this removes that anxiety since I don't have to make a conscious decision to pay for a given movie each time. Bored on a random day, I'd go to a movie just cuz.

It benefits theaters because their operating costs are pretty flat. It costs them about the same to show a movie to 10 people as it does 100. However, the 100 person showing will bring in significantly more non-ticket revenue.

It benefits Hollywood because the "average" moviegoer does not spend $120/year (this is obviously a fact that would have to be checked lol), so if they can raise the average to that amount they make more money. Also, with more people watching movies in theaters, it increases the exposure and impact of movies (higher backend)

The 3rd party benefits from collecting a small portion of that $10/month, which adds up very quickly.

The key is determining what that real "average" spend is for moviegoers on themselves (not dates, or other family members). It would also depend on how many low spenders like myself would join (that's why I say you'd have to keep it low...at $10 i think many would).

There are several immediate hurdles that I see. First, how do you ensure there's no sharing of benefits? Second, going to the movies is such a communal affair for a large percentage of the crowd. So how do you deal with dates, or people bringing their families? Maybe allow a member to purchase individual tickets for dates and devise some sort of family plan? A lot would have to be flushed out, but I do think it could be quite profitable.
Let's say the app grows to 50 million users (in comprison Netflix has 104)...that's $6 billion. Pretty damn good. But in 2014, Disney netted $1.7B off of $7.2B in revenue. I'm not a financial wizard but the sounds like their cost of operation was $5.5B. Even if it wasn't, that's the largest studio at a little more than a quarter of the market. So let's say Disney the other studios that make up the Big Six have production and operating costs of $20B...how is the subscription fee from Moviepass helping them cover all expenses?

Furthermore, Hollywood getting the bulk of the $120 from the average moviegoer doesn't make sense. That's the subscription to the app so how is that being pocketed by studios? Even if the subscription fee every year is gone towards buying the tickets it's not enough for every movie made by the major companies and the company that bought a chunk of Moviepass isn't gonna pour $10B+ annually.

Exposure doesn't really mean much if it's free and a higher backend (DVD/Blu-ray, TV syndication) would make sense if Netflix providing the same service didn't exist.

It makes sense for moviegoers because it's unprecedented convenience.
It can make sense for theatres, if everyone decides to spend $20 on concessions since they didn't pay for the ticket.
It might make sense for the 3rd party because I'm not seeing where the cash comes from to cover every major movie each month, but then again Netflix supposedly loses money/makes a slight profit compared to what they spend also ($187M in net income compared to $5B spent on original content in 2016).

But I'm not seeing how it makes sense for film studios unless info is out on 1) how many tickets the 3rd party purchases at theater price 2) how film studios are entitled to the lion's share of the 3rd party's subscription fee, and 3) if they are, how the subscription fee has the entire industry covered.

I do think it would help independent films since they aren't done with big ass overheads but for the big fish it's not adding up to me.

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
So much this. It's highway robbery spending almost 20 bones for 3 tickets (family) and having to spend 11 dollars on popcorn and a drink:scust:. You could avoid the concession and just hit up the flick, but you are greeted by a friggin video with various couples drinking fukking coke and eating popcorn:mjcry:. It's like well damn...now its embedded in my head to get a coke and some popcorn:dwillhuh:.
thats what they make their money off of.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Nah fam, you have to know which theatre to go to. Their is a reason why I don't mind traveling to the Upper East or West side to catch a flick :mjpls:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
There aren't enough theater movies that come out that I want to see for me to want this :ld:

Last edited:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

*remembers the 90's when the back rows in Harlem were filled with nikkas smoking that good and screaming "Van Damme! VAN DAMME!" at the fukking screen*

:mjcry:

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
you movie eaters are annoying. yall don't pick up your trash the movie ends? yall food stinks up the whole theater... yall make too much noise when yall eating while the rest of us are watching the film..

eat before you come to movie theater breh
I personally don't mind the eating. It's the fukking plastic wrappers/packages and the crunchy ass popcorn eaters that bug me the fukk out. Like in Dunkirk when
you were watching the pilot glide down, it was a dope ass moment, after he shot down them nazi cacs
and then some limp wristed motherless fatherless cocksucking rat DNA having fakkit c*nt goes HAM on opening a bag of chips:whatmoney: and somebody decides to join his muthaphukkin impromptu jam session with his overzealous popcorn rustling and chewing like it's the last fukking box on earth :2facedacosby:

all i want is some silence in the goddamn cinema :ineedmo:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
What kind of movies are we talking about? shyt like Reindeer Games and Windtalkers rereleases or new shyt like Thanos going ham on Tony Starks?