Morocco just made history at the World Cup - do you consider them as Africans or Arab?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm not denying that Berbers are African but they have become Arabized due to the Arab conquest of North Africa. You can't deny that's one of the reasons why majority of them do not look remotely black.
I agree with you with everything, but gotta clarify with the part in bold. Somalis/Ethiopians don’t have Arab admixture, if anything we share certain genetic markers and they come from us.
This is not true.

Reality gonna be a bytch for some of y'all.

Human ancestry correlates with language and reveals that race is not an objective genomic classifier | Scientific Reports

41598_2017_1837_Fig1_HTML.jpg

Ancestry analysis of the global data set. The 282 samples are labeled alternating in the left and right margins. The 21 ancestral components are Kalash (black), Southern Asian (dark goldenrod), South Indian (slate blue), Central African (magenta), Southern African (dark orchid), West-Central African (brown), Western African (tomato), Eastern African (orange), Omotic (yellow), Northern African (purple), Northern European (blue), Southern European (dark olive green), Western Asian (white), Arabian (light gray), Oceanian (salmon), Japanese (red), Southeastern Asian (coral), Northern Asian (aquamarine), Sino-Tibetan (green), Circumpolar (pink), and Amerindian (gray).

Each of the colors represents a different genetic lineage. For the purposes here the most important colors are:

purple (north african / berber)
tomato (west african)
magneta (central african)
orange (east african)
yellow (omotic, another ethiopian lineage)
light gray (arabian)
white (western asian)
dark olive green (southern european)

Look at the Moroccan groups on there. There were 4 different Moroccan subgroups tested and all four of them were dominated by North African genetics. Depending on the group some of them also have a splash of southern european and some do not, most have a bit of west african and central african, some have western asian and some do not, all have a bit of east african and omotic, all have some arabian but not a lot.

Now look at the Ethiopian lineages. For this study the ethnic groups they categorized were labeled as Tygray, Ethiopian Tigray, Ethiopia1, Agaw, Wolayta, Ethiopian Amhara, Amhara, Ethiopian Oromo, Oromo, Ethiopian Somali, and Somali. Notice that ALL of those ethnic groups ended up being pretty even mix of East African, Omotic, and Arabian genetics, with a splash of North African thrown in and some groups having a small contribution of West Asian. Notice that for all of them the Arabian admixture is FAR higher than it is for the Moroccan groups.

This is objective reality. All of these genetic databases are public information, it's not private data from just one study, this is a combination of hundreds of different genetic testing studies that anyone can check for themselves. Ethiopians have far higher Arabian genetic admixture than Moroccans do and it remains scientifically demonstrated even if that makes you sad.

Last edited:

Zime

Superstar
Daps

Human ancestry correlates with language and reveals that race is not an objective genomic classifier | Scientific Reports

Each of the colors represents a different genetic lineage. For the purposes here the most important colors are:

tomato (west african)
orange (east african)
light gray (arabian)
white (western asian)

Look at the Moroccan groups on there. There were 4 different Moroccan subgroups tested and all four of them were dominated by North African genetics. Depending on the group some of them also have a splash of southern european and some do not, most have a bit of west african and central african, some have western asian and some do not, all have a bit of east african and omotic, all have some arabian but not a lot.

Now look at the Ethiopian lineages. For this study the ethnic groups they categorized were labeled as Tygray, Ethiopian Tigray, Ethiopia1, Agaw, Wolayta, Ethiopian Amhara, Amhara, Ethiopian Oromo, Oromo, Ethiopian Somali, and Somali. Notice that ALL of those ethnic groups ended up being pretty even mix of East African, Omotic, and Arabian genetics, with a splash of North African thrown in and some groups having a small contribution of West Asian. Notice that for all of them the Arabian admixture is FAR higher than it is for the Moroccan groups.

This is objective reality. All of these genetic databases are public information, it's not private data from just one study, this is a combination of hundreds of different genetic testing studies that anyone can check for themselves. Ethiopians have far higher Arabian genetic admixture than Moroccans do and it remains scientifically demonstrated even if that makes you sad.
I've seen North African 23andme results some of them have Iberian, Arab and even Jewish while I've seen Ethiopians and other groups in that region score 90% - 95% in their tests with 0 Arab ancestry.

nikkas talking about Moroccans have 0 Arab genetics when that region has been invaded by so many groups throughout history.

Continue caping for these Arabs tho.
:lolbron:

Last edited:

Top Left

Banned
Daps

tomato (west african)
orange (east african)
light gray (arabian)
white (western asian)

I'm not disagreeing one bit that Somalis/Ethiopians have more genetic similarities to Arabs than the Berbers, what I made me comment on the genetic markers that Somalis and Ethiopians share with Arabs doesn't come from us beings a set of people that come from Arabs, rather we have genetic markers that the Arabs has inherited from us. Admixture alludes to being a product of a mix, I'm arguing that the Arabs are by-products of East-Africans. Didn't humanity as a whole started in that region?

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I think the Locker Room is willfully ignorant and likes lying. Whites are 9% of South Africa’s population
:dead::snoop:

If I ever see you rep 75.8% white America
:umad:

I am willfully ingnant and like lying. :mjgrin:
9% Boer/CAC + 9% mixed is almost 20%. I rounded up from a fifth to a quarter. :yeshrug:

I rep America cause that's where my ADOS be at. I don't have a dog in the "which African country is black or not" fight so I call it like I see it. :umad:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
It's a nation on the continent of africa with people of various ethnicities, not unlike most countries on different continents and some on the same continent.

Are americans north american?

Jackie Chan The Foreigner GIF - Jackie Chan The Foreigner Yes GIFs

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I've seen North African 23andme results some of them have Iberian, Arab and even Jewish while I've seen Ethiopians and other groups in that region score 90% - 95% in their tests with 0 Arab ancestry.

Did you really just try to refute a scientific study with random people's results from 23andme? :russ:

23andme is a half-assed corporate project that doesn't go nearly as deep as any study, and they are only showing you where your family is from, not what the deeper ancestry of that region is. 23andme tells people they're English even though the native people of England were wiped over over 2000 years ago and it was repopulated with Celts and Germanics from central Europe. "Anglo-Saxon" is literally the name of two Germanic tribes. Using 23andme to refute a scientific study is like using a half-assed wikipedia page to refute the actual sources the wikipedia page was based on.

When 23andme tells someone they're Ethiopian all they're telling them is that their people group primarily comes from Ethiopia. Doesn't say jack shyt about where that people group originated from or what other groups they're descended from.

I'm not disagreeing one bit that Somalis/Ethiopians have more genetic similarities to Arabs than the Berbers, what I made me comment on the genetic markers that Somalis and Ethiopians share with Arabs doesn't come from us beings a set of people that come from Arabs, rather we have genetic markers that the Arabs has inherited from us. Admixture alludes to being a product of a mix, I'm arguing that the Arabs are by-products of East-Africans. Didn't humanity as a whole started in that region?

That's not just "genetic similarities" though, that's actual ancient genetic subpopulations so Ethiopians definitely are products of a mix according to that study's results.

Now like I said earlier in the thread, I think the Arab subpopulation originated in Africa, so at least in that you're partly right. But they were separate from the other groups. If you look at the study, tens of thousands of years ago the East African and Omotic groups in East Africa split, then late the Arab and North African groups split off of the Omotic group, then the Omotic group further mixed with the Arab group and the East African group further mixed with the North African group before all four groups stabilized. Then later, AFTER that, the more "pure" Arabs migrated north and settled across the Middle East (today, the most pure "Arabian" group is Qatar), whereas the North Africans migrated west and settled across north Africa (today, the most pure "North African" group is Tunisia). The most pure "East African" group is Dinka-Nuer in Sudan, which is 80% East African descended with minor admixtures from west Africa and central Africa. The most pure "Omotic" group are the Ari people of Ethiopia, who are 90% Omotic with very minor East African and Arab admixture. Most Ethiopians are a mix of all of those without even coming close to 50% of any one group.

This is what Ari people look like, 80% Omotic DNA:

cover_ethiopia.jpg

Here are what Dinka-Nuer people look like, 90% East African DNA:

00230299:7a243df454b3cf36eff70859aee897f6:arc614x376:w735:us1.jpg

Here are what Qatari people look like, 80% Arabian NDA:

confident-young-arab-standing-in-his-tailoring-store.jpg

And then you have Tigray people of Ethiopia, which are about 40% Arabian, 30% East African, 20% Omotic, and 10% North African:

657152jguIbQ2H.jpg

Most folk get confused because, due to the metric that White Europeans imposed, everything to them is about skin color. But skin color is only determined by a handful of genes, and a couple genes for dark color can override others. But in reality genetics is far more complicated than "what color are you".

Last edited: