MORE AMERICANS ARE LIVING PAYCHECK-TO-PAYCHECK, EVEN THOSE EARNING MORE THAN $100,000.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As someone who lived in Chicago, Boston, and Detroit, I've personally witnessed the vast differences in wages and cost of living. The bigger problem is even if everyone lived in the ideal place for their field of work/cost of living/and wages, it still won't compensate for the fact that Americans are more productive, but are making less money than in the 70s, while the cost of living is at an all time high.
I agree with you here

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Hahahahaha its 700sqft. So you think living in a 700 sqft apartment is not poverty status? How would you feel if you and your family had to stay in a 700 sqft apartment? I said find a decent apartment lmao

For comparison, my current house is 6k sqft
This is exactly the point/problem right here. Downgrading lifestyle is laughable to people.

It's not a salary issue it's a lifestyle/spending issue.

"How can I live in a 700 sqft apartment?"
"How can I drive a used car?"
"How can I not internationally travel 2-3 times a year?"
"How can I not go to Ruth's Chris?"

These are the dilemmas millennials are facing who claim $100K is poverty. 60% of Americans don't have more than $500 saved. Most people are just bad with money breh.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This is exactly the point/problem right here. Downgrading lifestyle is laughable to people.

It's not a salary issue it's a lifestyle/spending issue.

"How can I live in a 700 sqft apartment?"
"How can I drive a used car?"
"How can I not internationally travel 2-3 times a year?"
"How can I not go to Ruth's Chris?"

These are the dilemmas millennials are facing who claim $100K is poverty. 60% of Americans don't have more than $500 saved. Most people are just bad with money breh.

Cost of living is too high and wages too low across the board. :unimpressed:

To adjust to this economic injustice is basically saying that you OK with America being filled with poor people on some 3rd world Banana Republic shyt. No way an educated person should live a worse quality life than a mailman back in 1975.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Cost of living is too high and wages too low across the board. :unimpressed:

To adjust to this economic injustice is basically saying that you OK with America being filled with poor people on some 3rd world Banana Republic shyt. No way an educated person should live a worse quality life than a mailman back in 1975.
Did mailmen back in '75 have cars with GPS in them? Did they have online shopping? What about iPhones? Could they start an online business? Could they work remotely back in '75? Was Instacart a thing back then for mailmen? Did they have investment apps in the palm of their hands then too? Were flights as easy to jump onto? Were microwaves standard in homes/apartments? Hell did a lot of them have central air/heating?

Seriously what are y'all talking about worse quality of life?
:heh:

God forbid your apartment doesn't have granite countertops, hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, and elevators or else y'all are living in poverty.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Hahahahaha its 700sqft. So you think living in a 700 sqft apartment is not poverty status? How would you feel if you and your family had to stay in a 700 sqft apartment? I said find a decent apartment lmao

For comparison, my current house is 6k sqft

I would live in a 700sqft apartment. As long as the shyt clean, which that one was, what's the problem? I thought men only needed the basic necessities and a 77" OLED?

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's what living paycheck to paycheck is...enough.

After federal taxes
state taxes
rent
groceries (damn near all dairy just jumped up in price)
gas (expensive as a mf)
retirement savings
car insurance
health insurance
renters/property insurance
car note
benefits
car maintenance (and not every area has a solid bus/public transportation system)
electricity
water
internet
school loan repayments

Even for a single person that 50k gets ate up pretty fast. A lot of Americans living paycheck to paycheck isn't an absurd concept at all.
A few of these things aren’t universal though. Like student loan repayments. Or car notes. People just need to be more responsible with what they have. :yeshrug:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Did mailmen back in '75 have cars with GPS in them? Did they have online shopping? What about iPhones? Could they start an online business? Could they work remotely back in '75? Was Instacart a thing back then for mailmen? Did they have investment apps in the palm of their hands then too? Were flights as easy to jump onto? Were microwaves standard in homes/apartments? Hell did a lot of them have central air/heating?

God forbid your apartment doesn't have granite countertops, hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, and elevators or else y'all are living in poverty.
I'm not a defender of luxury, but in the 21st Century, you should live better than a molded apartment with infrastructure that resembles a 3rd world country.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
100K is a lot of money if you focus on todays expenses and don't live places like SF. But if inflation unchecked, hate to say it. But shyt like retirement, multiple cars, and private school for your kids is LOL gone. The majority of the people living chck2chck are living with half that, and they have no room to flex around.
  • already shopping at a bodega or the cheapest places
  • tend to have health conditions w/ them and other family members
  • Kids in public school
  • No savings
Those are the people who are concerning. This is the average american.

Last edited:

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

Side hustles weren't need in 1975. Mail carriers made $13k/year. Yearly tuition at public University was $2500. Median home price was $35,900. Fastback Mustang was $4000. No one back then complained about high health insurance or auto insurance premiums. Go ahead on compare today's mail carrier wages vs cost of living.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Side hustles weren't need in 1975. Mail carriers made $13k/year. Yearly tuition at public University was $2500. Median home price was $35,900. Fastback Mustang was $4000. No one back then complained about high health insurance or auto insurance premiums. Go ahead on compare today's mail carrier wages vs cost of living.
you put in 20-30 years at a job at got a pension the rest of your life....now it's on you to fund your retirement. people could find jobs near home which meant grandparents could watch kids, now people live across the country or grandma is still working and you need to pay 1000-2500/month for childcare, and so on. people are clowns if they can't admit the cost of living greatly outgrew the average salary

Last edited:

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
you put in 20-30 years at a job at got a pension the rest of your life....now it's on you to fund your retirement. people could find jobs near home which mean grandparents could watch kids, now people live across the country or grandma is still working and you need to pay 1000-2500/month for childcare, and so on. people are clowns if they can't admit the cost of living greatly outgrew the average salary
Spot on. I just looked it up and a the interest rate for a CD at a local bank was 14% in 1975. That's a hell of a ROI for a glorified savings account. No 401k or IRA needed.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I'm not a defender of luxury, but in the 21st Century, you should live better than a molded apartment with infrastructure that resembles a 3rd world country.
But most people are defending luxury when in these discussions.

And yes that is true, but you still have to be smart with your money and live within your means. Just because time has passed, that doesn't mean you deserve to live better than anybody. You have to manage your money properly. Most people don't spend and manage their money properly and so with living paycheck to paycheck, they chalk it up to "The cost of living..."

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
I wanna know what the definition of "paycheck to paycheck" is.. does that mean that you don't have x amount in savings every month, or that if you miss a paycheck you're gonna be not able to pay a certain amount of bills?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I wanna know what the definition of "paycheck to paycheck" is.. does that mean that you don't have x amount in savings every month, or that if you miss a paycheck you're gonna be not able to pay a certain amount of bills?
paycheck to paycheck means you have enough to cover your bills but you don't have anything leftover to contribute to any easily accessible savings that could float you in hard times ie. if you got laid off you'd be assed out because you don't have savings to cover you while you miss checks