Monique is officially suing Netflix

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Monique may have some merit to her case, she’s not going to get there by comparing herself to Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer and Jerry fukking Seinfeld. There are quantifiable metrics Netflix can easily present to illustrate why those comedians got offered more. If she was comparing herself to the likes of Arsenio Hall, Chris Tucker, or Deon Cole (a reach, I know) or some of the many CaCs I can’t even name with Netflix specials, she might have a chance if they got paid substantially more by Netflix. Discovery would shed a lot of light here. But it won’t get to that point cuz this big headed bytch thinks she’s an A-list comedian:francis:

People can offer you anything it's up to you to accept negotiate or decline

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin
Offering black folks or women lower wages than their white and male counterparts is illegal in The United States of America.

MoNique is not asking for a wage, she's asking for a commission for services rendered. And objectively the services she provided to Netflix are of a lower tier than Chappelle, Seinfeld etc.

Daps
MoNique is not asking for a wage, she's asking for a commission for services rendered.

Wage vs services rendered is irrelevant here. My statement still stands: Offering black folks or women lower compensation (be it in the form of wages or a contracted fee for services rendered or whatever), than their white and male counterparts is illegal in The United States of America.

I said in my first response that comparing herself to Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer, and Jerry Seinfeld wouldn’t work cuz it would be easy for Netflix to present quantifiable data illustrating that their market value is significantly greater than hers. If she could show that comparable male and white comedians got paid/offered more, she could have a case.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wage vs services rendered is irrelevant here. My statement still stands: Offering black folks or women lower compensation (be it in the form of wages or a contracted fee for services rendered or whatever), than their white and male counterparts is illegal in The United States of America.

I said in my first response that comparing herself to Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer, and Jerry Seinfeld wouldn’t work cuz it would be easy for Netflix to present quantifiable data illustrating that their market value is significantly greater than hers. If she could show that comparable male and white comedians got paid/offered more, she could have a case.

I havent kept up with this much tbh, but when I heard her in an interview, the problem I had was she felt she should command a certain amount for a comedy special based on her success with films such as Precious. her value as an actress and her value as a stand up comedian is two different things from the way I see it. :yeshrug:

Kane1

Superstar
Daps
Lol with the amount of black programming Netflix has.

She has to face up to the fact that who was checking for a Monique special? She could have done the first one got rave reviews and then strong armed the amount for a second one.

Now shes burned this bridge forever and other companies looking at her like

:francis:

She's gonna owe her lawyers some cash when she loses this case :francis:

More bills to pay.....who gas'd her up like this :usure:

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin

I think the points of comparison to her white and/or male peers would be extremely difficult--if not impossible--to distinguish. At some point, it becomes a question of the value of her art, which is entirely subjective and unregulatable. Suppose some programmer or whoever's responsible for choosing Netflix comedy specials or whoever simply doesn't find her as funny as her peers? Aesthetic choices by a curator--no matter how dubious the underlying motives behind their decisions--wouldn't necessarily be seen as discriminatory.

Daps
I think the points of comparison to her white and/or male peers would be extremely difficult--if not impossible--to distinguish. At some point, it becomes a question of the value of her art, which is entirely subjective and unregulatable. Suppose some programmer or whoever's responsible for choosing Netflix comedy specials or whoever simply doesn't find her as funny as her peers? Aesthetic choices by a curator--no matter how dubious the underlying motives behind their decisions--wouldn't necessarily be seen as discriminatory.

I don’t think it would be hard at all. Compare the profitability ($$$) of the projects they worked on. Compare previous offers/gig ($$$) from other entities. Compare their accolades from industry standard judging mediums (Oscars, Emmys, critics’ reviews, etc.).

Yanno, the metrics companies use (or are supposed to be using) to decide how much to offer.

Daps
I havent kept up with this much tbh, but when I heard her in an interview, the problem I had was she felt she should command a certain amount for a comedy special based on her success with films such as Precious. her value as an actress and her value as a stand up comedian is two different things from the way I see it. :yeshrug:

she’s delusional, no doubt. The people she’s comparing herself to are ridiculous :mjlol:

Rawster

Relax Baby
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
La Perla
Offering black folks or women lower wages than their white and male counterparts is illegal in The United States of America.
lol yea its a sad and fair point. she has had some money problems, you wonder if shes just getting taken advantage of

there was an offer on the table, and she turned it down. im sure that happens every 5 minutes in that biz, but she just doubles down on this for some reason

"I don’t take no checks I take my respect
Pharrell even told me go with the safest bet
Jimmy Iovine offered a safety net
Google dangled around a crazy check
I feel like YouTube is the biggest culprit
Them nikkas pay you a tenth of what you supposed to get
You know nikkas die for equal pay right?
You know when I work I ain't your slave right?
You know I ain't shucking and jiving and high fiving
You know this ain't back in the days right?"

She won an Oscar and the studio and executive producers wanted her to go on the road and do promo for free. Kevin Hart charged Sony $2 million for 2 Instagram post promoting movies. In an industry in which no one works for free why should she be blackballed because she didn't want to work for free? Netflix low-balled her because she was a black woman on an island, thanks to her own folks blackballing her.

A white female comedian that is well known for plagiarizing the material used for her stand-up specials, was paid 26x the amount Monique was offered.

You guys with daughters do realize that Monique tanked her own personal career so that your (future) daughters will get paid fairly don't you?
She going head to head against Oprah, Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry, Steve Harvey and Netflix. She knew that she would be ostracized.

She has more experience with the studios than any of you here trying to give her advice. Everyone in the game told her that she would be blackballed if she went public. She made a choice to speak up.

I remember when Micheal Jackson held that press conference in Harlem calling out Sony and Tommy Motolla for being racist and attempting to destroy him in an effort to get a control of his catalog and publishing company. The newspapers called him "Wacko Jacko" and black people left him to fight that battle on his own when he called for a boycott of Sony.

I'm bookmarking this thread because a lot of people are going to be on the wrong side of history here.

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN

I agree with this and also think this will be her tactic. I think she knows she's not worth Chappelle or Seinfeld money but comparing her to Amy Shumer money yea i think they could show she was lowballed. I feel like they are on the same level just Amy is valued more simply because she is white. Monique won an Oscar for crying out loud.

So i think this suit is really more about forcing the curtain back on these Netflix deals and seeing if they can show thru discovery a correlation between race and lower wages AND also a parallel correlation between gender inequality.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

She has no case cause Netflix is not required to enter into a contract with her in the first place. She is not an employee. She is an independent contractor and every contract is independently negotiated. You can't simply compare one contract to another. She has a right to ask for more money in the contract.. and netflix has a right to say no and walk away. They don't need to provide any data or reason why they don't want to do business with an independent contractor.

Daps
She has no case cause Netflix is not required to enter into a contract with her in the first place. She is not an employee. She is an independent contractor and every contract is independently negotiated. You can't simply compare one contract to another. She has a right to ask for more money in the contract.. and netflix has a right to say no and walk away. They don't need to provide any data or reason why they don't want to do business with an independent contractor.

You don’t understand the laws of the USA.

There are things called protective classes. Companies can’t “do what they want” when it comes to those classes. They can refuse to hire (or offer less compensation to) people cuz they’re short, they can NOT refuse to hire (or offer less compensation to) people because of their race, gender, religion, etc, with very little exceptions.

And they absolutely will need to provide data if the court allows a lawsuit against them to proceed. That’s called discovery.

And with Netflix being a publicly traded company, they’re subjected to even more rules