MILITARY STORIES

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
@987654321, yeah no, I'm good.
It was cats outside pulling work details all day in 100+ degree heat. :mjgrin: I was supposed to be one of em.
It'd be black flag before they stopped serving morning chow. :mjlol:

Nikkas was mad I wasn't working outside with them, but I'm getting paid the same, have better working conditions, and was cool with the higher-ups. :usure: I got AFN, internet, A/C, and a full fridge and big-ass freezer. :umad:

I'd be on some
6e098841b4924a9e105f8a87c40c3254.gif

shyt while they marched off to work in the field (literally).
Didn't you get bored though? My job technically had me assigned to HQ duty but it was boring watching CNN all day. I used to jump at the chance to go out. Doing a whole tour on the FOB was like being in Jail. Besides as relatively Junior NCO you might get some weird ass duties like maintaining Iraqi weapons because they didn't know how to do it.

Jorvan

All Star
Daps
Y'all Army boys wild. :gladbron: I'm the color of a field kneegrow but I swear I'm descended from some house ones. :pachaha:

As much as I told myself I wanted to be in the field, I know deep down I'd much rather be inside with the A/C on. :hubie:

Nikkas in here kicking down doors on deployment; we were getting pools reopened and going on day trips. :whew:
It really comes to the luck of the draw when it comes to your deployment experience on the line. For example, I had a shyt load of free time when we weren't doing missions. Like we might go on a 2 hour patrol, but then we had the rest of the day to do whatever, besides a short guard shift. However, I've had friends who had a far worse experience when they were downrange, so I really got lucky in retrospect. But yeah, if I could choose my mos again, I definitely wouldn't choose infantry. It's pretty useless on a resume, unless you're going for something security related.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Didn't you get bored though? My job technically had me assigned to HQ duty but it was boring watching CNN all day. I used to jump at the chance to go out. Doing a whole tour on the FOB was like being in Jail. Besides as relatively Junior NCO you might get some weird ass duties like maintaining Iraqi weapons because they didn't know how to do it.

Bored? This was an AF deployment. Unless you're a PJ/CCT/TACP/EOD dude, or are in planes blowing shyt up in support of SOF missions, Imma assume most of those deployments are pretty 'boring'. :francis:

It's not like I was inside and these dudes were going outside the wire kicking in doors. They were working/observing folks working, cooped up in shytty trucks on the airfield. :mjlol:

Superstar
Daps
I was an RTO when I first came in running around with that 117F and a 10ft whip :mjcry:

We took contact right off the osprey and I moved up and laid beside one of my boys to call in the TIC both of us were our first deployment and he hit me with the:damn: “Get that big ass radio the fukk away from me”

:mjlol:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Bored? This was an AF deployment. Unless you're a PJ/CCT/TACP/EOD dude, or are in planes blowing shyt up in support of SOF missions, Imma assume most of those deployments are pretty 'boring'. :francis:

It's not like I was inside and these dudes were going outside the wire kicking in doors. They were working/observing folks working, cooped up in shytty trucks on the airfield. :mjlol:
You have a point unless you're AFSOF there's not much to do other than CCT dudes I never saw any Air force people at any COP or Firebase. Maybe you'd see them at the super FOB's like Victory or Anaconda but that's about it. Those 3 month tours y'all do seem too long to me though based on being chained to a desk and never really being "off duty".

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
It really comes to the luck of the draw when it comes to your deployment experience on the line. For example, I had a shyt load of free time when we weren't doing missions. Like we might go on a 2 hour patrol, but then we had the rest of the day to do whatever, besides a short guard shift. However, I've had friends who had a far worse experience when they were downrange, so I really got lucky in retrospect. But yeah, if I could choose my mos again, I definitely wouldn't choose infantry. It's pretty useless on a resume, unless you're going for something security related.
you really didn't want to be a softskill on deployment. I had to do my normal TOC duties maintaining computers the Niper and sipernet update the slides and the spreadsheets. I had to fix radios, order spares, go get spares, get the fill for the Duke radar jamming box, Fix the duke or have it sent to the Navy Electronic Warfare guy to fix Do radio guard (listen to the radio update the maps and bub chart) be available for guard duty or whatever bullshyt. Keep track of the radios and GPS systems train US and Iraqi or Aghani personnel on radio procedures maintain PT and weapons quals and be available to go on combat patrols from time to time.

When I was an NCO in the duece I had to supervise a solider or two with quarterly counselings train him up and make sure he was doing PT.

If I was Infantry I'd just have to worry about Combat patrols and training my people. That's probably why you had so much free time. I had a few down days but it was mainly 12 hour days in a slow period and 18 hour days when we were busy and up to 48 hours without sleep on Combat patrols or Key Leader engagements or training local forces.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I was an RTO when I first came in running around with that 117F and a 10ft whip :mjcry:

We took contact right off the osprey and I moved up and laid beside one of my boys to call in the TIC both of us were our first deployment and he hit me with the:damn: “Get that big ass radio the fukk away from me”
I was the dude with the truck radio who was responsible for making sure you had reach back to the rear. Go over a big mountain with the Manpack and you might lose comms with higher. If you didn't have contact with a bird or it went bingo on fuel you'd be fukked. And yes when you didn't have a commo guy I carried that and the intrateam radio and the back up to the back up so there wasn't another Lone survivor situation. And yes the enemy would try to kill me first.

Son Goku

Daps
You have a point unless you're AFSOF there's not much to do other than CCT dudes I never saw any Air force people at any COP or Firebase. Maybe you'd see them at the super FOB's like Victory or Anaconda but that's about it. Those 3 month tours y'all do seem too long to me though based on being chained to a desk and never really being "off duty".

Standard deployment length is 6 mos. :leon:

Son Goku

Daps
I heard y'all got the JSOC length 3 month tours. The SF tours were about 7 months and the standard Army tour is 12 months but that got extended a few times.

You heard cap then. :duck:

My hopsicle clears more pax out the door than UPS and FedEx. I be seeing where them cats go and for how long.

Only aircrew goes out for less than 6 mos. as a rule. SOF guys come and go as they please. :yeshrug:

Daps
I was the dude with the truck radio who was responsible for making sure you had reach back to the rear. Go over a big mountain with the Manpack and you might lose comms with higher. If you didn't have contact with a bird or it went bingo on fuel you'd be fukked. And yes when you didn't have a commo guy I carried that and the intrateam radio and the back up to the back up so there wasn't another Lone survivor situation. And yes the enemy would try to kill me first.

Yup you was running retrans.being in a sniper team being so far out we’d also have our 150 for long haul HF back to higher along with VHF and SAT be a SEAL team and not bring multiple ways to communicate frogbrehs :lolbron: