MILITARY STORIES

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well I could say that an SF recon team is stealthy and so far forward that they have to be able to kick ass too, but I don’t want to start another flame war. Do y’all carry SAW’s AT-4s and shyt?

but fukk that. My issue is a career one if a high speed scout is stuck at E-8 and maybe running a school or on staff and he sees rando Infrantry dudes making 9 or even becoming normative SGM chances are he’ll tell every high speed e-6 to reclass to infantry if they want to make rank and will lead to a talent drain.

it doesn’t make sense

Yes problem is you aren’t reclassing after you are a SSG generally. And yes you typically tell the high speeds to go to SFAS. If you look at the in/out calls the only jobs usually for SSGs are packet MOSs like Civil Affairs and PSYOPS and let’s be honest not everyone is passing those selections.

like right now I work with all artillery guys at DOTMPLF and what are the odds that I will receive a top block over one of their 13 series guys (using it as an example I’m retiring already had my last eval)

in regards to your weapons you carry what you have on your mtoe based on the task organization of your unit. I mean typically M4, M 240, 9mm, and everything is depending on requested load out for that mission set or patrol. AT4s I see no use for not much of an air threat and our EW and ADA guys dealt with drones.

Last edited:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I know we were always taught constant communication was they key to staying on line or keeping pace. This is kind of an example of mechanized infantry working with their Brads in an urban environment. It’s a mess but they’re protecting and supporting each other. It’s kind of like a what you would do in a bounding overwatch on foot.

The only time I’ve trained to do it or seen it done in open ground (conventional near peer stuff) it was a regiment wide CALFEX.

We staged a mock regimental forced entry into a notional foreign territory. The scouts I was attached to (I was the medic) over watched the valley and observed (controlled indirect fires).

The mechanized infantry and Armor companies rolled across the valley in 2 files with the Abrams up front already firing different kinds of rounds for suppression.

The Tanks faced the objective and the brads got between the tanks. The dismounts got between the tanks and brads and everything was staggered.

The tanks would fire the main guns at pop up targets in the distance. Then the brads would move up and hit with the 25mm’s while the infantry fired at man-sized pop up targets with small arms and mortars and hit the tank sized targets with AT fire. Then the tanks would move up again with their main guns and sweep inf targets with the coax (coaxial gun).

Occasionally the brads would move up and sling some TOW missiles. Whole time there was a rolling wall of 155mm artillery.

They repeated it until notional victory conditions were met. All I learned is that I don’t ever want to be on the wrong side of some shyt like that lol. But it was cool to watch an entire Armored Cav Regiment coordinate like that. Our 1st Squadron was the weaker squadron so it was used to set up a blocking position and was later used to flank.

Thanks for the breakdown so scouts are just that they only do recon and screening

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I believe you are thinking about CERP/FOO funds for overseas. That’s what those funds were used for to help build schools and soccer fields.

I’m talking about the cows on Fort Hood. Yeah overseas they would fill out a form and request funds and our foo guy would come out and pay them...Or if we damaged their property we would pay them. Someone else would come out if casualties occurred.
Yeah I’m talking about overseas FOO money I knew about it because the supply guy didn’t know or want to buy spares for us so he showed me FED Log and I brought my own shyt. That started me in the supply world.

as far as stateside when I graduated airborne school and waiting orders from Bragg I was doing a detail with the old white master sergeant and he told me to buy land near a military base because when expand the base you can charge the government a fortune. At the time Benning was expanding they have to have doubled the size from that know that the school of maneuver is there with all those tanks.

I know Ft Stewart was huge

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
:mjcry:
When they fukk up and leave the bear gates open at Lewis. We had tarantulas and coyotes hanging out in the barracks at ft. Irwin plus the sidewinders and wild burros in the training area. And we dodged skunks all summer at Campbell. I almost forgot the wild horses at Polk and who the fukk knows what goes on in Alaska
Skunks are the one thing I’m scared of. I remember seeing them in the Catonment area. I’ve seen them on field problems when they used those fake artillery shots. They aren’t scared of humans even coyotes steer clear of humans not skunks, if you get sprayed you’d be clowned into enterity

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Yes problem is you aren’t reclassing after you are a SSG generally. And yes you typically tell the high speeds to go to SFAS. If you look at the in/out calls the only jobs usually for SSGs are packet MOSs like Civil Affairs and PSYOPS and let’s be honest not everyone is passing those selections.

like right now I work with all artillery guys at DOTMPLF and what are the odds that I will receive a top block over one of their 13 series guys (using it as an example I’m retiring already had my last eval)

in regards to your weapons you carry what you have on your mtoe based on the task organization of your unit. I mean typically M4, M 240, 9mm, and everything is depending on requested load out for that mission set or patrol. AT4s I see no use for not much of an air threat and our EW and ADA guys dealt with drones.

Not a stinger I mean an Anti tank weapons like this:AT4 - Wikipedia

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not a stinger I mean an Anti tank weapons like this:AT4 - Wikipedia

Still for the most part this is excess load out stuff...You’re more likely to see this with a tank destroyer load out. But since we have actual tank platoons with us we rarely utilize that. You’re more likely to see that in a Stryker organization. It’s a light anti-armor system.

Most of us have 25mm which is armor piercing usually. We legit have no reason to dismount to engage. If you are thinking about light guys that’s definitely something they would have but than again it gets back to doctrine why am I sending a light force against a heavy.

Superstar
Daps
Well I could say that an SF recon team is stealthy and so far forward that they have to be able to kick ass too, but I don’t want to start another flame war. Do y’all carry SAW’s AT-4s and shyt?

but fukk that. My issue is a career one if a high speed scout is stuck at E-8 and maybe running a school or on staff and he sees rando Infrantry dudes making 9 or even becoming normative SGM chances are he’ll tell every high speed e-6 to reclass to infantry if they want to make rank and will lead to a talent drain.

it doesn’t make sense

It’s weird in the armor world. They were killing tankers off for a while and forcing them to become scouts, then they needed tanks again smh.

We carried all that plus more. We just have to be more choosy with what we decide to carry because there’s less people to distribute all the weight.

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for the breakdown so scouts are just that they only do recon and screening

On paper lol. But like @NatiboyB said earlier. The nature of the GWOT has scouts, engineers, Infantry, and Engineers pretty much doing a lot of the same things. I didn’t even realize that SF dudes weren’t supposed to really being doing so many raids until brigade scrapped together the FTF platoon from all our battalions, and some rangers, to do it for them. It was hilarious being out and seeing the SF dudes doing their on-paper job description of blending in with the Afghan commando’s lol.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
On paper lol. But like @NatiboyB said earlier. The nature of the GWOT has scouts, engineers, Infantry, and Engineers pretty much doing a lot of the same things. I didn’t even realize that SF dudes weren’t supposed to really being doing so many raids until brigade scrapped together the FTF platoon from all our battalions, and some rangers, to do it for them. It was hilarious being out and seeing the SF dudes doing their on-paper job description of blending in with the Afghan commando’s lol.
Tell me about it. in Afghanistan everyone was chasing the same targets to do raids, You'd have coventional army SF and JSOC fighting with the local landowner unit over who should hit this or that compound.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Skunks are the one thing I’m scared of. I remember seeing them in the Catonment area. I’ve seen them on field problems when they used those fake artillery shots. They aren’t scared of humans even coyotes steer clear of humans not skunks, if you get sprayed you’d be clowned into enterity

Last time I saw a skunk was when I was in Great Lakes. Me and one of my boys somehow pulled rover duty at the mental barracks/separations barracks and we were patrolling outside. Straight up bullshytting and cracking jokes. My eyes are a bit more used to darkness and I just stop while my boy keeps walking.

He looks back and is like "Ayo Doctor Doom, why you looking scared as fukk :russ:" while he keeps walking. Breh my arms went on some Mr. Fantastic shyt and yoked this man back. He start bugging immediately and I just point infront of us.

It was like a family of skunks, at least 5 of them motherfukkers just walking right across the sidewalk. When my boy raised his voice, all of them motherfukkers stopped and turned to us.

Him: :damn: :damn:

Me: :huhldup: :whoa: :whoa:

We legit backed up like 20 feet and walked across the street, keeping our eyes on them the whole time. They eventually started moving and went back to the bushes. We didn't rove that area the rest of the night.

I guess that's one of the few advantages to working on a ship, you don't deal with wildlife. I've stared down dudes on security detail holding a rifle and having a breakdown and kept my cool, but animals? :lupe:

Daps
Our 6 man sniper teams basically acted in the same function as scouts primarily doing R&S we carried LAWs instead of AT4s. But 6 dudes with Long guns,M4A1s one 240 and a 249 I couldn’t imagine having to recon an armored platoon because sure we will get a suppressed shot off but once those vehicles start scanning with their optics we are screwed.

Nothing was like rolling into a village maneuvering with tanks and LAVs M1s straight up make the ground shake. We were in overwatch we’d spot targets and the tanks would take them out a dude ran out of a wadi directly in front of the tanks skirmish line and shot one of the M1s with an AK one tank shot that dude in the chest with the main gun while one beside it raked the wadi with the 50

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Our 6 man sniper teams basically acted in the same function as scouts primarily doing R&S we carried LAWs instead of AT4s. But 6 dudes with Long guns,M4A1s one 240 and a 249 I couldn’t imagine having to recon an armored platoon because sure we will get a suppressed shot off but once those vehicles start scanning with their optics we are screwed.

Nothing was like rolling into a village maneuvering with tanks and LAVs M1s straight up make the ground shake. We were in overwatch we’d spot targets and the tanks would take them out a dude ran out of a wadi directly in front of the tanks skirmish line and shot one of the M1s with an AK one tank shot that dude in the chest with the main gun while one beside it raked the wadi with the 50
I know you were on a mission but in fallujah (after the battle) the tanks needed an LTC sign off before the used the big gun.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Real shyt, add on the fact that most of the women in military towns see being in the military as kinda a turn off for some odd reason
Really? From what I heard most women in military towns view the soldiers as walking licks for money, they know if they get married they will get free healthcare and that bah rate