MILITARY STORIES

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Something went horribly wrong if you left your vehicle to get out and shoot someone :russ: the track has a gunner and turret. Both Infantry and Scouts shouldn't be dismounting and a tanker better not consider it unless it's the last course of action.

I think this question comes from the confusion we suffered through doing COIN operations. I would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between Infantry/Scouts/Tankers/Combat Engineers/13F-B during COIN. I mean we would all have Engineers attached they would utilize line charges and conduct patrols and cordon and searches but they weren't Infantryman. The MOS stuff during COIN operations seems to have confused everyone in the Army.

More defined roles exist in force on force near peer action

Got it. So that Death before Dismount shyt is true. Again I don't know so I'm asking questions again usuing WWII as my reference from what I understood was Infantry protects tanks from manpack Antitank stuff Like Panzerfausts and RPG's I know a single RPG can't do much but what about ten dudes firing at the Tracks or the back? I thought that was what Infantry's job was.

Also again they talked about how there was these vast distances between Infantry Divsions and Armored Divisons in barberossa and how that was a problem Do they even train Infantry to keep pace with the tanks? I know that on the surface seems impossible but in a war with a near peer Intantry would huddle being tanks for protection especially in urban sitiations. They also have that Infantry Phone on tanks right? So they can talk to tanks I saw this Irseali movie about Lebonon and when the Infantry officer wanted to talk to the Tanker he had to get in the tank. That didn't make sense to me unless the tank was stopped. Would an Infantry officer need to get in the tank to talk to the TC?

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
That's almost how it was when I was there I was in a organization at the time 4-4 CAV it has since become 1-4 CAV but it's out of Fort Riley. They had us out there like sitting ducks towards the Arghandab. We had to deal with 101st and 10th Mountain Brigades (RC-S). That was my last deployment when I tell you once I left that place I was over it...Like the total misuse of forces and lack of proper allocation of assets it was horrible. Lost some outstanding Soldiers out there.

I know one guy who was kicked out of my Basic Training Platoon and sent to another Platoon. I ran into him in Iraq, dude went to Germany then transferred to 1ID at Fort Riley. Had I been sent there I think I would've died. That being said I had TDY at Fort Leavanworth and I liked KC. That's the main reason I wan't to stay on the east coast I wanted to be near a big city with a lot of Black women.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
They’re meant for observing stuff but lately they’ve just been used to patrol and maneuver. Scouts can pretty much be anything, they don’t have to be mounted. There’s airborne scouts, light scouts (Air assault), regular light scouts, light cav scouts, armored cav scouts, etc. there’s only 4 platoons in a troop. HQ platoon plus Red, White, and Blue platoons.

Our platoons can be a fraction of the size of an infantry platoon. Sometimes they’re a little more heavily armed or stick closer to vehicles or other assets because the formations are so small. My first scout platoon was in an anti-tank infantry company with 2 inf platoons and a mortar platoon. When we did stuff everyone had mortars embedded in their platoons. They’re small but have the means to get really deadly real fast though. They can end up in situations where they are stuck with only 2-3 people doing stuff on their own.
Right I remember when the 82nd LRSU unit became a Cav scout unit. So a dude could be Airborne, Air Assault and be versatile. I'd think career wise a scout could do a standard Infantry job and make SGM of an Intantry battalion? I'd assume that at some point it would just connect like all Infantry whether Mech Styker or Light even Ranger become an 11Z What schools do y'all go to? Infantry schools? I mean Cav is partially folded into the manuever school at Benning.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Yalls argument is dumb and petty :russ:

Yall both set in how you think, and you aren't gonna suddenly make the other have an epiphany and be like "OH shyt you're right"

Writing dissertations on whether or not the merit of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is tactically sound for like 3-4 pages now (I'm on 50 posts per page :damn: ) ain't doing anyone favors.

Let's just get back to shytting on higher enlisted, dropping gems, sharing fukkery stories, etc. :mjgrin:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:

i'm a boy scout because i actually know what the fukk i'm talking about?

if you stopped trying to be a knowitall when all you do is tell on yourself then you wouldn't be so wound up all the time. im good lol. more than a few people here know i'm good.

and recruiting standards are a big fukking deal. the army is still dealing with the problems from opening the floodgates for the surge.... that b*stard got barred from reenlistment and lost retirement over that
:dead:

2-5 was known for that. They'd redeploy and walk past the unit replacing them on some "have fun :youngsabo:" shyt. Wouldn't even record half of what was going on. And I'd be stuck there still trying to reeducate some guard unit on why expecting a vehicle recovery on any of those roads was more trouble than it was worth if it was even possible.
nikka as you see I'm asking questions here. You talk about me being a know it all and You some rando that did some time in the army not a SAMS garduate not Four Star General not Not a West Point Graduate, Not a Military Historian just said Airborne as a concept never worked.

You never been a recuiter but you would just make a snap decision on someone's ability to make it in the military despite since the beginning of time the miliatry was full of unmotivated draftees and won WWI and WII and all the other wars.

Have you even supervised someone before? Have you couseled someone found out what made them tick and motivated them?

You didn't ask me one question you didn't ask any questions yet you went on a three page rant about airborne operations. I've seen some rando posts on here but that's got to be the most random.

I made a couple of assumptions about AFSOF and All Black got me straight. I didn't go on rants about the AF and what they need to do I accepted that he would have more information about how the AF worked than I did.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
nikka as you see I'm asking questions here. You talk about me being a know it all and You some rando that did some time in the army not a SAMS garduate not Four Star General not Not a West Point Graduate, Not a Military Historian just said Airborne as a concept never worked.

You never been a recuiter but you would just make a snap decision on someone's ability to make it in the military despite since the beginning of time the miliatry was full of unmotivated draftees and won WWI and WII and all the other wars.

Have you even supervised someone before? Have you couseled someone found out what made them tick and motivated them?

You didn't ask me one question you didn't ask any questions yet you went on a three page rant about airborne operations. I've seen some rando posts on here but that's got to be the most random.

I made a couple of assumptions about AFSOF and All Black got me straight. I didn't go on rants about the AF and what they need to do I accepted that he would have more information about how the AF worked than I did.
bro..... you have soft played yourself in more ways than one for the past few pages and everyone here is chill enough to not rub your face in it

we all don't give a fukk because we've acted like you at some point in the past :flabbynsick: now, politely, hop off my dikk

"but but but you never had soldiers :damn: what about counseling??? "

you don't even realize the signs you're putting up with shyt like that. for real
Yalls argument is dumb and petty :russ:

Yall both set in how you think, and you aren't gonna suddenly make the other have an epiphany and be like "OH shyt you're right"

Writing dissertations on whether or not the merit of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is tactically sound for like 3-4 pages now (I'm on 50 posts per page :damn: ) ain't doing anyone favors.

Let's just get back to shytting on higher enlisted, dropping gems, sharing fukkery stories, etc. :mjgrin:
:hubie:

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Got it. So that Death before Dismount shyt is true. Again I don't know so I'm asking questions again usuing WWII as my reference from what I understood was Infantry protects tanks from manpack Antitank stuff Like Panzerfausts and RPG's I know a single RPG can't do much but what about ten dudes firing at the Tracks or the back? I thought that was what Infantry's job was.

Also again they talked about how there was these vast distances between Infantry Divsions and Armored Divisons in barberossa and how that was a problem Do they even train Infantry to keep pace with the tanks? I know that on the surface seems impossible but in a war with a near peer Intantry would huddle being tanks for protection especially in urban sitiations. They also have that Infantry Phone on tanks right? So they can talk to tanks I saw this Irseali movie about Lebonon and when the Infantry officer wanted to talk to the Tanker he had to get in the tank. That didn't make sense to me unless the tank was stopped. Would an Infantry officer need to get in the tank to talk to the TC?

No we have radios, tactical texting, and sat phones. I mean before that comms were an issue...you can even have a desk and computer.

talking about the doctrinal purposes of forces vs the current use of combat forces is an extremely in-depth topic. Just look at The different Corps.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
like having to explain to kids why they shouldn't fukk with or shoot the cows that wander around ft. hood

i mean you CAN but like.... fukk it do you :mjlol:

The farmers who own those cows gets paid a grip as I recall if they are hurt...if they are hurt whole chain of command needs to see the garrison CDR and explain...same for the endangered animals also.

Superstar
Daps
Right I remember when the 82nd LRSU unit became a Cav scout unit. So a dude could be Airborne, Air Assault and be versatile. I'd think career wise a scout could do a standard Infantry job and make SGM of an Intantry battalion? I'd assume that at some point it would just connect like all Infantry whether Mech Styker or Light even Ranger become an 11Z What schools do y'all go to? Infantry schools? I mean Cav is partially folded into the manuever school at Benning.

I think it could potentially work if they focused on cross training more, or went back to the days of 11D’s (way back when there were more infantry specifications). Though the skills and functions overlap, they still learn completely different doctrines. @NatiboyB explained a little better before. A scout platoon like anyone can engage and close with an enemy force but it’s not built for it due to size. When I was a medic attached to scouts, even when I was a scout, we focused more on hiding and speed. We also focused on using “ferocity and violence” to our advantage if we got stuck in contact.

Infantry platoons can be difficult to conceal and move relatively slower on foot. They are built perfectly to lock horns with the enemy and overwhelm them by suppress/flanking them, until they are close enough to clearing through them with grenades and lines.

A light cav troop (4 platoons+mortars) could really work a light infantry company (5 platoons) at distance but I think it would have to consider an escape route or have a great advantage with terrain.

Toe to toe, in open ground an infantry company would probably kill us, with numbers alone, after a while. We would really be in trouble going toe to toe with a weapons company.

I guess the infantry is like a pride of lions that will overwhelm and kill you, whether you see it coming or not. Scouts are like a cobra waiting for you in the tall grass while you’re walking around in Birkenstock Jesus sandals.

Superstar
Daps

I know we were always taught constant communication was they key to staying on line or keeping pace. This is kind of an example of mechanized infantry working with their Brads in an urban environment. It’s a mess but they’re protecting and supporting each other. It’s kind of like a what you would do in a bounding overwatch on foot.

The only time I’ve trained to do it or seen it done in open ground (conventional near peer stuff) it was a regiment wide CALFEX.

We staged a mock regimental forced entry into a notional foreign territory. The scouts I was attached to (I was the medic) over watched the valley and observed (controlled indirect fires).

The mechanized infantry and Armor companies rolled across the valley in 2 files with the Abrams up front already firing different kinds of rounds for suppression.

The Tanks faced the objective and the brads got between the tanks. The dismounts got between the tanks and brads and everything was staggered.

The tanks would fire the main guns at pop up targets in the distance. Then the brads would move up and hit with the 25mm’s while the infantry fired at man-sized pop up targets with small arms and mortars and hit the tank sized targets with AT fire. Then the tanks would move up again with their main guns and sweep inf targets with the coax (coaxial gun).

Occasionally the brads would move up and sling some TOW missiles. Whole time there was a rolling wall of 155mm artillery.

They repeated it until notional victory conditions were met. All I learned is that I don’t ever want to be on the wrong side of some shyt like that lol. But it was cool to watch an entire Armored Cav Regiment coordinate like that. Our 1st Squadron was the weaker squadron so it was used to set up a blocking position and was later used to flank.

Superstar
Daps
@Wiseborn You can kind of see the mutual protection (in the video) when they attempt to hit a difficult target with the AT-4. The brad moves up to REALLY hit it with a TOW. A fighter(s) possibly tries to hit the Brad with an RPG, before it can back off, so the infantry kills/suppresses the fighter(s) with the 240. When conditions are met (another fire team/squad is on line with them or covering them from across the street) they will move up and clear the next house. They work both sides of the streets and alleyways, leapfrogging with other squads and the Brads until they cleared a whole block.

I’m not sure how marines do it (maybe @TheDarkskinnedDrake can clarify) but Many Army units will skip houses/structures and employ “back clearing” to keep the enemy on their toes. It helps smaller units move faster when clearing blocks of structures. You can also use vehicles/armor to create distractions and feints. SF and Seals used to do this to us all the time when I was OPFOR at Irwin lol.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
like having to explain to kids why they shouldn't fukk with or shoot the cows that wander around ft. hood

i mean you CAN but like.... fukk it do you :mjlol:

Y'all Army motherfukkas have cows walking round shytting around y'all's bases? :picard:

I hope I don't end up at one. They sound turrible and something tells me we don't get hardship pay for working on one. :huhldup:

Superstar
Daps
Y'all Army motherfukkas have cows walking round shytting around y'all's bases? :picard:

I hope I don't end up at one. They sound turrible and something tells me we don't get hardship pay for working on one. :huhldup:

:mjcry:
When they fukk up and leave the bear gates open at Lewis. We had tarantulas and coyotes hanging out in the barracks at ft. Irwin plus the sidewinders and wild burros in the training area. And we dodged skunks all summer at Campbell. I almost forgot the wild horses at Polk and who the fukk knows what goes on in Alaska

Last edited: