Midnight Mass-Limited Series From the Creator of Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor (Netflix)

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
I actually really liked this, was a slow start but had a lot of heavy themes that will resonate with people who were devout believers and then lost their way only to seek answers back with God. It’s strange that underneath all of it there is an underlining message of forgiveness and redemption. Although at times the show did come across as preachy when you have characters detailing their life just to answer one question. And the change in protagonist kind of threw me for one.

I am guessing in the end the flying Vampire was killed which is why that girl lost the ability to walk seeing as the progenitor died.

Last edited:

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I actually really liked this, was a slow start but had a lot of heavy themes that will resonate with people who were devout believers and then lost their way only to seek answers back with God. It’s strange that underneath all of it there is an underlining message of forgiveness and redemption. Although at times do show did come across as preachy when you have characters detailing their life just to answer one question. And the change in protagonist kind of threw me for one.

I am guessing in the end the flying Vampire was killed which is why that girl lost the ability to walk swing as the progenitor died.
Who was really redeemed tho?

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Who was really redeemed tho?

Riley, Erin, Ed, and Joe whereas the sanctimonious pricks who always looked down on them fell to the wayside in seemingly their first test of adversity. Beverly turned out to be the worst of them all despite being the person who judged the most. Notice the contrast of every single person on the Island in the end accepting their fate and of Beverly to the very end trying to escape the inevitable. Even to the point of trying to bury herself underground and yet she is meant to be the most “religious and pious” one. Even father Paul the instigator of it all in the end said he was wrong.

This show really was amazing, if you can get past episode 1,2 as it starts of really slow the rest is just fantastic.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Riley, Erin, Ed, and Joe whereas the sanctimonious pricks who always looked down on them fell to the wayside in seemingly their first test of adversity. Beverly turned out to be the worst of them all despite being the person who judged the most. Notice the contrast of every single person on the Island in the end accepting their fate and of Beverly to the very end trying to escape the inevitable. Even to the point of trying to bury herself underground and yet she is meant to be the most “religious and pious” one. Even father Paul the instigator of it all in the end said he was wrong.

This show really was amazing, if you can get past episode 1,2 as it starts of really slow the rest is just fantastic.
Riley never found God so he’s not redeemed. Ed didn’t even let Riley speak when he was getting his sht of his chest… Erin wasn’t lost she was following her religious ways and got caught up in the mess. Joe was probably on his way to being redeemed so… maybe? We truly don’t know where Pruitt stood because he still was trying to give his daughter the blood at the end so idk… the ending leaves a lot to be desired because to me Pruitt still seems lost and hasn’t realized that that wasn’t an “angel”

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Riley never found God so he’s not redeemed. Ed didn’t even let Riley speak when he was getting his sht of his chest… Erin wasn’t lost she was following her religious ways and got caught up in the mess. Joe was probably on his way to being redeemed so… maybe? We truly don’t know where Pruitt stood because he still was trying to give his daughter the blood at the end so idk… the ending leaves a lot to be desired because to me Pruitt still seems lost and hasn’t realized that that wasn’t an “angel”

Riley redemption came in the form of finally being content with who he was and where he came from and through that finding peace. Notice in his death the victim of his drunk driving came to accept him in death. Him and Erin greatest hang ups where coming from the Island and seemingly not being anyone hence the great escape to the mainland. Riley initially sought answers from God in many forms but came out without any answers to his question. That was established early on even in the midst of what appeared to be a miracle he was still placing a scientific and logical explanation for said miracle. So he was never going to find redemption in God but in himself.

Ed finally opened up to Riley which was a weight on his chest and poured out his insecurities and self blame of believing he was at fault for Riley failures. Essentially admitting to there being errors in his parenting skills, from there any hang ups he had about Riley seemed to have been washed away. And we understand that despite being a hard ass on his son he just simply wanted better.

Erin was lost, she was a victim of child abuse and spousal abuse and was a druggy. Her wake up call was when she discovered she was pregnant and took note not to repeat the mistakes of the past. She changed her life around and found God (remember she was the atheist and Riley was the devout believer) in the hopes of striving to be better for her child.

Bob sought redemption after he was forgiven by Leeza and was on his way to doing better and being better.

Pruitt admitted he was wrong realizing the error of his way. Yes he did try and feed Sarah the blood but that was more in line with the actions of a desperate parent trying to save their child. Notice when she spits it out he never pushes for it again and just accepts what’s to come. I do wish they clarified his stance on the “angel” in the end and what he thought of it.

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop
The original Jaws as well
Another movie I love, them damn seaside towns too breh:wow:

Finished it yesterday morning and felt it lost steam as time went on. Still an enjoyable watch, it’s been said already but the actors for Riley and John killed it. Both did an amazing job but I connected with Riley so much.

Honestly I have no idea where I rank this among Hill House and Bly. Not that it’s bad, I just have no idea where to put it. Gun to the head I’d put it probably 1. Bly 2. Midnight 3. Hill, in a few days I could see this overtaking Bly as my favorite just off connection.

One thing I did have issue with was the character monologues, I know people were joking bout them and they didn’t bother me but there many times where they felt out of place. Like we up against the clock but I’m about to empty my soul to y’all:mindblown:

I look forward to Flannigan’s next work.​

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I liked it even though it dragged a bit in the first 3 episodes and was a bot too invested in protracted theological debates when it should have been showing more horror stuff but the show recovered for the last four episodes and ended on a total downer note which I loved.
It was basically Mike Flanagan doing his version of a Stephen King story and it hit all of the notes you'd expect.

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I know it’s just a show but
I’d love to see how Warren and Leeza cope. It makes you wonder if they’ll leave religion completely since they were left in complete disaster, not to mention Leeza being crippled again. And how in the hell could they even begin to explain what happened?