Microsoft's Q1 2024 (fiscal) earnings.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
The only somewhat positive spin that you dream up in this scenario is that if it wasn’t for starfield hardware sales would be even lower (-12% or more??) but again, the fact that its still significantly down from last year isn’t good when they just released their biggest console exclusive of the generation.

Microsoft can prosper as a game software company, but i don’t see them being successful in hardware. They have too much of an un-cool image
They were expecting to be down double digits this quarter in hardware btw. They were down single. One game isn't going to change thr circumstances in hardware when their games are everywhere

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
A key reason why they won't drop out of console business is the 30% cut they get in their storefront. I think it would be dumb to surrender the 30% cut they get from third party games and microtransactions.
That and it's another way to offer gamepass without a cut they'll always be in hardware as long as hardware is a input for gamers.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only somewhat positive spin that you dream up in this scenario is that if it wasn’t for starfield hardware sales would be even lower (-12% or more??) but again, the fact that its still significantly down from last year isn’t good when they just released their biggest console exclusive of the generation.

Microsoft can prosper as a game software company, but i don’t see them being successful in hardware. They have too much of an un-cool image
It's not a spin it's a fact, it's also not a race it's a marathon.

But xbox is dying :mjcry:

over9000-vegeta.gif

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That and it's another way to offer gamepass without a cut they'll always be in hardware as long as hardware is a input for gamers.
Gamepass is important, but it's not everything. I think they're okay if a person buys a game or buys gamepass edition of games. I feel consoles are the main driver for gamepass growth, so they have to improve on that front. I don't think you go on an acquisition spree to drop out of selling consoles. I think Microsoft and most know they won't surpass Sony or Nintendo in console sales. However, they have a good chance of beating both in revenue generated. Lastly, on the console side it wouldn't be wise to drop 70million+ potential customers that will use storefront that you get 30% from on all third party sales

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah, I'm not sure what he's expecting. Even in the most notable example of salvaging a generation of hardware, the PS3, it came after several years of solid releases. The people who felt no need to engage with XBox consoles thus far aren't going to go out and get one just because of one year's lineup.

While not all of the games may have been as good as hoped, what matters is that they got the games out, and built momentum. Now they just need to keep a consistent cycle of releases to capitalize on what's been happening.
He's a PlayStation fan concerned trolling with disingenuous arguments because he wants Microsoft out of the paint. He's said stuff like if Microsoft leaves somebody else would enter the console space. That's not happening.

If today Microsoft exited the console space those gamers they had would just shift over to Sony and this theoretical new console maker would enter from a weaker position than Microsoft (who should allegedly exit the space) is in right now.

From the PS2 days to now there are about 180 million people or so give or take 10 million that are willing to buy the type of console Microsoft and Sony make. Every generation those 2 split that pie. Nintendo doesn't impact those numbers. They have the Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch sell between 18 or so million to over 100 million and Microsoft and Sony's combined numbers are in the same range.

If Microsoft stops making consoles nobody is going to look to take that spot. One company will completely dictate that market sector.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
A key reason why they won't drop out of console business is the 30% cut they get in their storefront. I think it would be dumb to surrender the 30% cut they get from third party games and microtransactions.
They make LOTS of money off 3rd party content. You don’t need to be in first place to make money.

They’d have to make lots of revenue through software sales on playstation to justify throwing all that 3rd party money away.

In reality they found a way to cash in on that playstation money and keep doing their own thing :ehh:

Half A $

Pro
Daps
Microsoft continually making new revenue records.

Sony, having profit problems

Gentlemen of the jury, this right here just shows the pure delusion and hypocrisy of Xbox lames on this site.

They’ll shyt on PlayStation’s record revenues (which is way bigger than Xbox) due to operating profits being low but grab their pom poms when MS has record revenues even though they’ve just spent 69 billion. (Which we all know ms will hide in other divisions while the bungie purchase is actually reducing PlayStation operating profits)

Meach is it oochie Wally Wally or is it one mic?

Half A $

Pro
Daps
Just sticking around to see if xbox stans can agree to whether or not hardware matters
Hardware only matters when they win, remember when the Xbox outsold the ps5 in Japan due to stock issues.

Popped shyt when that happened, Ain’t said shyt the last few years