Microsofts confirms activision/blizzard games will remain on PS and Nintendo after agreements

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Personally, I think they made it pretty clear what their intent is moving forward for the reasons I stated above, but I understand your skepticism.

To be clear I am expecting the Call of Duty console experience as we know it today, to remain very similar as it is today with games releasing on both Xbox and Playstation consoles.

I will say that executives can never speak 100% when they make these types of future statements since there are things out of their control and nothing is absolute. If PlayStation’s business strategy quickly shifted towards cloud gaming, im sure MS would have an issue releasing games on PlayStation’s platform.(There are no MS games on Geforce Now)
Also, im sure there are plans for many exclusive Call of Duty games/experiences for mobile phones or Xcloud. So, its not as easy as making a blanket statement.
So after the terms expire and they come to Sony and say you can keep Call of Duty on your platform but in exchange we want...

Then what? What happens when that becomes leverage to negotiate terms the other party might not want like say Game Pass availability on Playstation or Switch?

What happens when leadership may change and what new leaders want done align with what these want or will do?

Again I'm not saying they do or don't want it right now I'm saying the government needs to take every ounce of wiggle room away from Microsoft and put it in writing as a very specific condition of the merger and if they don't abide force a breakup of the company.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It is some fakkity shyt if MS has to play by the "rules", but Sony doesn't. Win/win though.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As usual y’all stuck on console wars and missing the point.

Microsoft has made it very clear they are not competing with Nintendo and Sony. They are fighting Google, Apple, Facebook.

This is all to limit their inroads into the industry and when if they do become major players it’s to set the standard for which they have to play.

Remember Microsoft fighting with Apple over how the store works for monetization, this is them “putting their money where their mouth is” and setting the example for how they want digital video game stores to work going forward.

Y’all so stuck on COD exclusive or not, your missed the real news in the announcement.

Microsoft said:
The principles respond to concerns raised by app developers and lawmakers, who say app stores run by Apple Inc. and others take an unfairly large cut of digital revenues and stifle competition. Microsoft said it wouldn't require developers to use a proprietary payment system, among other steps.

The principles would also help Microsoft offer its new gaming store on devices where it can't today, executives told reporters Wednesday. Apple's iPhone, for example, doesn't allow competing app stores, a step the company says helps it to protect users' security and privacy."
They are trying to get their store and Gamepass on everything, and they are also gonna allow devs to have their own payment systems within the store.

They are setting by example, the way they want to industry to work going forward.

I know y’all just wanna hate Microsoft at every step, but this is actually an attempt at a better future for video game consumers.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
As usual y’all stuck on console wars and missing the point.

Microsoft has made it very clear they are not competing with Nintendo and Sony. They are fighting Google, Apple, Facebook.

This is all to limit their inroads into the industry and when if they do become major players it’s to set the standard for which they have to play.

Remember Microsoft fighting with Apple over how the store works for monetization, this is them “putting their money where their mouth is” and setting the example for how they want digital video game stores to work going forward.

Y’all so stuck on COD exclusive or not, your missed the real news in the announcement.
Nobody really cares about Microsoft's app store. It's easy to limit terms on such a store. People avoid it whenever possible.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nobody really cares about Microsoft's app store. It's easy to limit terms on such a store. People avoid it whenever possible.
First off, this isn’t true. The store is used by millions. Second this pertains to the store on xbox as well. 3rd they announced that they are working on an all new “next gen” store to implement all of this.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
After the opening remarks, the post breaks the 11 new principles into four subsections.

Quality, Safety, Security & Privacy:

1. We will enable all developers to access our app store as long as they meet reasonable and transparent standards for quality and safety.
  2. We will continue to protect the consumers and gamers who use our app store, ensuring that developers meet our standards for security.
  3. We will continue to respect the privacy of consumers in our app stores, giving them controls to manage their data and how it is used.
Accountability:

1. We will hold our own apps to the same standards we hold competing apps.
  2. We will not use any non-public information or data from our app store to compete with developers' apps.
Fairness and Transparency:

1. We will treat apps equally in our app store without unreasonable preferencing or ranking of our apps or our business partners' apps over others.
  2. We will be transparent about rules for promotion and marketing in our app store and apply these consistently and objectively.
Developer Choice:

1. We will not require developers in our app store to use our payment system to process in-app payments.
  2. We will not require developers in our app store to provide more favorable terms in our app store than in other app stores.
  3. We will not disadvantage developers if they choose to use a payment processing system other than ours or if they offer different terms and conditions in other app stores.
  4. We will not prevent developers from communicating directly with their customers through their apps for legitimate business purposes, such as pricing terms and product or service offerings.
Pretty much all shots at how Apple runs their store.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
COD seemed like a given but I actually thought Overwatch 2 would be exclusive. It's all good tho. those titles all being gamepass day 1s are still blessed.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
First off, this isn’t true. The store is used by millions. Second this pertains to the store on xbox as well. 3rd they announced that they are working on an all new “next gen” store to implement all of this.
On PCs people prefer Steam or Epic hell Microsoft conceded as much and put their games on Steam. Windows Mobile is dead. I'm a user of Windows and I hardly ever use their app store. I just download and run programs.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
On PCs people prefer Steam or Epic hell Microsoft conceded as much and put their games on Steam. Windows Mobile is dead. I'm a user of Windows and I hardly ever use their app store. I just download and run programs.
“Prefer” doesn’t mean it’s not used. And obviously the changes are there to make the store more desiarable for everyone involved.

and again this is for their store across all devices.

Not sure why you are stuck on rehashing the Microsoft store vs Steam fight. It’s totally irrelevant to my post and Microsoft’s announcement today.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
“Prefer” doesn’t mean it’s not used. And obviously the changes are there to make the store more desiarable for everyone involved.

and again this is for their store across all devices.

Not sure why you are stuck on rehashing the Microsoft store vs Steam fight. It’s totally irrelevant to my post and Microsoft’s announcement today.
Well Microsoft isn't really competing with any of those companies. Apple is mostly mobile hardware and services tied to that hardware. Facebook and Google are advertising companies.

Microsoft is gaming, PCs, productivity software, and cloud computing. There's some overlap in places like Google also does cloud and Apple has some gaming but they're all mostly chasing different fields.

They clash in places because Microsoft wants to do business with Apple customers in their ecosystem and Apple is a bully monopoly but that's not really a rival to Microsoft. Apple's whole shyt flows out of the iPhone.