Microsoft vision for Xbox future on 15th February on the official Xbox podcast at 12pm PT. 3PM ET. 8pm GMT

Will Microsoft go full 3rd party and drop console hardware going forward?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
1. "Their" is referring to Nadella, Stuart, et al. I don't think it's the goal of Phil Spencer or Matt Booty (not sure about Sarah Bond's stance on this). I do think Spencer and Booty genuinely care about the Xbox line, and they're probably still fighting for continuing it, keeping at least some exclusives, etc.

2. Even so, Microsoft still has consoles on the market that they'd like to sell, so in the short term, they want to present Xbox as a stable place to play.

3. Likewise, I think the reports about Xbox working on future consoles are likely true, so they want to make sure Xbox fans don't just bail on the brand now when they have future consoles coming up that they want to sell those fans.

3a. As an aside, Satya Nadella's regret over killing the Windows Phone is probably going to keep Microsoft making some sort of dedicated hardware into the near future, even if they end up going from powerful home consoles to streaming or cloud boxes. The Xbox brand has little to no value outside the U.S., but in the U.S., it still has at least some value. I don't believe they'll trash it entirely, even if they go from calling themselves Xbox division to Microsoft Games division or whatever.

4. Along those lines, they'd like to keep customers already in the Xbox ecosystem in that ecosystem because they will want 30M+ people who are early adopters of whatever future streaming/cloud box they release. Doing so will mean breaking their plans softly even if they're thinking that ten years down the road, they're only in streaming boxes and that streaming box is the only thing left with the Xbox brand on it.
But you are talking on both sides here.

They are gonnna cancel xbox, but they are also gonna make more hardware and cater to xbox customers :dwillhuh:

For those of you that have convinced yourselves they are gonna drop the xbox console let’s do some math.

Even if they top out at 30 million sold every generation, if we give a lowball estimate and say they make the equivalent of one game in revenue from each box sold, per year that would mean they need to sell at least 30 million MORE games per year on PS/Switch just to make up the revenue lost by not having consoles in homes. I don’t think any publisher is coming even close to that.

From a business sense it’s an asinine assertion that they will drop all that revenue from consoles and try to make it up by selling games on other consoles.

The thought is just some weirdo console forum bubble nonsense that people haven’t thought through :francis:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

They are gonnna cancel xbox, but they are also gonna make more hardware and cater to xbox customers :dwillhuh:

For those of you that have convinced yourselves they are gonna drop the xbox console let’s do some math.

Even if they top out at 30 million sold every generation, if we give a lowball estimate and say they make the equivalent of one game in revenue from each box sold, per year that would mean they need to sell at least 30 million MORE games per year on PS/Switch just to make up the revenue lost by not having consoles in homes. I don’t think any publisher is coming even close to that.

From a business sense it’s an asinine assertion that they will drop all that revenue from consoles and try to make it up by selling games on other consoles.

The thought is just some weirdo console forum bubble nonsense that people haven’t thought through :francis:
No one is saying they’ll cancel the Xbox on Thursday. Anyone that has said that was more than likely saying it in jest.

You don’t announce a business update at random unless something significant is changing. The term business update gives it away.

If it was positive, they would let you know beforehand "that you need to tune in for some exciting news".

Be it pricing changes to gamepass, changes to games available on gamepass, or more games going to other systems. Something is changing.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No one is saying they’ll cancel the Xbox on Thursday. Anyone that has said that was more than likely saying it in jest.
You just said they would cancel the name.
You don’t announce a business update at random unless something significant is changing. The term business update gives it away.

If it was positive, they would let you know beforehand "that you need to tune in for some exciting news".

Be it pricing changes to gamepass, changes to games available on gamepass, or more games going to other systems. Something is changing.
This is all your speculation. I.E “Gaslighting yourself” :francis:

Daps

I literally said they weren't going to cancel Xbox consoles. I have no clue who you're talking to, breh. Are you sure you clicked on the correct post to respond or are you struggling to read and comprehend?

Jokes are jokes, but I came around to "Microsoft stays in the console business in some form, but moves toward porting everything everywhere over the next few years" awhile ago.

That's what I'm standing on, in fact. Microsoft puts out some sort of device, probably under the Xbox name, going forward, but expands their porting until everything goes everywhere it can.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You just said they would cancel the name.

This is all your speculation. I.E “Gaslighting yourself” :francis:
It's all speculation, although I can read that tweet directly from xbox and glean a few things from it. And if you truly had any business sense you could do the same. 0 reason to have 3 high level execs there unless it's a showcase, or it's a damage control situation where you want to show unity.

Honestly, the only thing for certain is that you'll be in here defending M$ no matter what.

They can come out and say they're cancelling the XBox that day and you'll be in here "told you they were going to keep making games, games for everybody. I was right. Consoles don't matter"

:manny:

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I don't think they will say anything concrete except for two things:

1. They're bringing their games to more places because when we all play, we all win (without specifying which games they will port, or only specifying a couple, but leaving the door open for which games are being ported where)

2. They assure Xbox fans they are not leaving the console business and have at least one next-gen console in development.

They're starting a slow retreat from being a mostly first-party publisher to a third-party publisher. They're not saying anything to freak out the Xbox fans, not talking about branding, not being specific about most of their upcoming slate of games and ports.
If they end up leaving more questions than answers.....oh boy :laff:

It's gonna be a shyt show even more PR Wise

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Honest question, @MeachTheMonster @daze23 @The Mad Titan do you honestly believe there will be good news that comes out of this podcast for xbox players?
Gonna bold this because Xbots also tend to hype up things like Mid Pass Revenue and other numbers that don't go into their broke pockets.

What is an Xbox player supposed to be hype about rn? :ufdup: