Microsoft vision for Xbox future on 15th February on the official Xbox podcast at 12pm PT. 3PM ET. 8pm GMT

Will Microsoft go full 3rd party and drop console hardware going forward?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
F05uNGTXsAMFEXF.jpg

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The better question to the Xbots is: If they ain't blowing it up, why let the situation escalate like that? :windwhy:

Thursday? These mfers are unserious. You don't need to take a whole week to go on a podcast and quash baseless rumors.

It's been known they want Mid Pass on all consoles, the biggest obstacle for Microsawft to do it is the Xbox brand. A brand that has been in the dirt for two whole console generations.

This. Folks done gaslit themselves.

"Oh, it's not going to be much."

"Nothing is changing, it's the same thing they've always been doing."

Why promote it as a business update if nothing is changing?

You really think they're doing all of this to get PS5 and Switch owners excited for a couple of AA games getting ported?

It's not being put out there as some type of showcase. So I doubt it's good news.

I believe at the least, they're removing xbox branding. Outside of that who knows.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

You really think they're doing all of this to get PS5 and Switch owners excited for a couple of AA games getting ported?

It's not being put out there as some type of showcase. So I doubt it's good news.

I believe at the least, they're removing xbox branding. Outside of that who knows.

They really gotta do something because what they’re doing now clearly ain’t working and if regular joe shmoes can see it (that aren’t on that uncle phil tip) then the bean counters at Microsoft HQ definitely ain’t happy with it

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
how? Refute anything I just posted.

Y’all let the cac tweets whip you into a frenzy expecting big announcement.

So when the podcast ends up being fairly mundane.

Y’all gone say “why didn’t they just say that last week” or “why they make such a big deal about this”

But in reality it was just the cac tweets that hyped you up :manny:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Y’all let the cac tweets whip you into a frenzy expecting big announcement.

So when the podcast ends up being fairly mundane.

Y’all gone say “why didn’t they just say that last week” or “why they make such a big deal about this”

But in reality it was just the cac tweets that hyped you up :manny:

Bolded.

Daps
I don't think they will say anything concrete except for two things:

1. They're bringing their games to more places because when we all play, we all win (without specifying which games they will port, or only specifying a couple, but leaving the door open for which games are being ported where)

2. They assure Xbox fans they are not leaving the console business and have at least one next-gen console in development.

They're starting a slow retreat from being a mostly first-party publisher to a third-party publisher. They're not saying anything to freak out the Xbox fans, not talking about branding, not being specific about most of their upcoming slate of games and ports.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

1. They're bringing their games to more places because when we all play, we all win (without specifying which games they will port, or only specifying a couple, but leaving the door open for which games are being ported where)

2. They assure Xbox fans they are not leaving the console business and have at least one next-gen console in development.

They're starting a slow retreat from being a mostly first-party publisher to a third-party publisher. They're not saying anything to freak out the Xbox fans, not talking about branding, not being specific about most of their upcoming slate of games and ports.
If you're familiar with business, you also notice the lack of positive phrasing in the tweet from xbox.

generally you're going to see shyt like "exciting news for fans of Gamepass/Xbox" etc. It's almost like they know shyt got out early and they're having to play damage control.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

If their ultimate goal is to drop the xbox console and name then why do they even care about what xbox fans think?

Daps
If their ultimate goal is to drop the xbox console and name then why do they even care about what xbox fans think?
1. "Their" is referring to Nadella, Stuart, et al. I don't think it's the goal of Phil Spencer or Matt Booty (not sure about Sarah Bond's stance on this). I do think Spencer and Booty genuinely care about the Xbox line, and they're probably still fighting for continuing it, keeping at least some exclusives, etc.

2. Even so, Microsoft still has consoles on the market that they'd like to sell, so in the short term, they want to present Xbox as a stable place to play.

3. Likewise, I think the reports about Xbox working on future consoles are likely true, so they want to make sure Xbox fans don't just bail on the brand now when they have future consoles coming up that they want to sell those fans.

3a. As an aside, Satya Nadella's regret over killing the Windows Phone is probably going to keep Microsoft making some sort of dedicated hardware into the near future, even if they end up going from powerful home consoles to streaming or cloud boxes. The Xbox brand has little to no value outside the U.S., but in the U.S., it still has at least some value. I don't believe they'll trash it entirely, even if they go from calling themselves Xbox division to Microsoft Games division or whatever.

4. Along those lines, they'd like to keep customers already in the Xbox ecosystem in that ecosystem because they will want 30M+ people who are early adopters of whatever future streaming/cloud box they release. Doing so will mean breaking their plans softly even if they're thinking that ten years down the road, they're only in streaming boxes and that streaming box is the only thing left with the Xbox brand on it.