Microsoft vision for Xbox future on 15th February on the official Xbox podcast at 12pm PT. 3PM ET. 8pm GMT

Will Microsoft go full 3rd party and drop console hardware going forward?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yall said the exact same thing about PlayStation exclusives games coming to PC years ago.

Yet here we are in 2024.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This.

They obviously aren’t gonna throw consoles in the bushes this week. It will be a slow crawl to becoming even more obsolete in the console space the more reasons they give for you not to own one. Their hardware sales are already in the gutter, you think whatever they announce this week will course correct that or simply accept that it’s never going to be a major platform?

People are shrugging their shoulders at Hi Fi Rush, but not too long ago everyone was acting as if Microsoft only truly thrived in the AA space, now they are acting liek their AA games are no big deal to put on other consoles lol

I’ll also say Indiana jones, avowed, and Hellblade are not going to sell Xbox’s in any mass quantity. Those games are 8’s at best. No one is running out the house to buy an xbox for those games
I don't think those games are 8 at best, but it's clear they're not big enough to move consoles. Honestly, I think at this point not one game could do that, but release enough games and it will happen. WE have to remember Uncharted wasn't that much of a console mover for the PS3 at first. However, when they started to release multiple games of similar quality, then it got people to either make PS3 their current gen console or enough to move some 360 gamers to PS3 . I think that's xbox problem because say what you want about Starfield it sold a pretty good amount of copies, but they needed a steady stream of releases to convince people "Hey, I might actually need to buy an xbox due to quality games"

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't think those games are 8 at best, but it's clear they're not big enough to move consoles. Honestly, I think at this point not one game could do that, but release enough games and it will happen. WE have to remember Uncharted wasn't that much of a console mover for the PS3 at first. However, when they started to release multiple games of similar quality, then it got people to either make PS3 their current gen console or enough to move some 360 gamers to PS3 . I think that's xbox problem because say what you want about Starfield it sold a pretty good amount of copies, but they needed a steady stream of releases to convince people "Hey, I might actually need to buy an xbox due to quality games"

Putting out games is only part of the equation. You have to put out games that get people to stop and discuss them, for GOOD reasons. Make people think they re missing out constantly by not getting a deluge of first party games. Sonys problem on the ps3 was only partly about games. Microsoft problem:

• Their first party games always get hyped up by xbots and microsoft themselves and always under deliver. Starfield ended up being very average in one of the best years of gaming. It barely even made any top 10 list at any gaming publications. Far cry from ‘game of the generation’ it was hyped to be. Forza Motorsport released to no fan fare and disappeared, not even xbox did positive PR for it. Redfall was a disaster. Thats after a year 1/2 of no major releases
  • Xbox actually has major competition. This year a lone might be somewhat quiet for sony first party AAAA but all their exclusives are still major hitters and still got a pro model coming out. Same with Nintendo, Switch 2 reveal is imminent along with their launch line up. I’m assuming Sony is going to have a major showcase as well with big games announced again also.
  • Microsoft doesn’t have consumer trust. Theres tons of rumors about them exiting hardware, their games always underperform, xboxone, etc. only the most hardcore xbox stans even care about gamepass. It’s just not catching on
Games alone just aren’t going to change Xbox’s fate. They would suddenly need every game to be a 90+ critical darling GOTY winner which just puts more pressure on every new game release. Those studios that microsoft bought are just not those type of studios to begin with. They’d sell better if they weren’t forced to try and save the xbox platform in the public’s eye.

Microsoft has dug themselves into a huge hole over the last 15 years and there’s really no way out

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Putting out games is only part of the equation. You have to put out games that get people to stop and discuss them, for GOOD reasons. Make people think they re missing out constantly by not getting a deluge of first party games. Sonys problem on the ps3 was only partly about games. Microsoft problem:

• Their first party games always get hyped up by xbots and microsoft themselves and always under deliver. Starfield ended up being very average in one of the best years of gaming. It barely even made any top 10 list at any gaming publications. Far cry from ‘game of the generation’ it was hyped to be. Forza Motorsport released to no fan fare and disappeared, not even xbox did positive PR for it. Redfall was a disaster. Thats after a year 1/2 of no major releases
  • Xbox actually has major competition. This year a lone might be somewhat quiet for sony first party AAAA but all their exclusives are still major hitters and still got a pro model coming out. Same with Nintendo, Switch 2 reveal is imminent along with their launch line up. I’m assuming Sony is going to have a major showcase as well with big games announced again also.
  • Microsoft doesn’t have consumer trust. Theres tons of rumors about them exiting hardware, their games always underperform, xboxone, etc. only the most hardcore xbox stans even care about gamepass. It’s just not catching on
Games alone just aren’t going to change Xbox’s fate. They would suddenly need every game to be a 90+ critical darling GOTY winner which just puts more pressure on every new game release. Those studios that microsoft bought are just not those type of studios to begin with. They’d sell better if they weren’t forced to try and save the xbox platform in the public’s eye.

Microsoft has dug themselves into a huge hole over the last 15 years and there’s really no way out
Agreed, I think they don't have mindshare due to people outside of Microsoft ecosystem being burned by 360 and xb1. Their games on PC for the most part perform well, but on console end their games don't generate hype outside of xbox ecosystem. I can't remember the last xbox game that generated excitement where people said " I have to play this game" The games of this gen that are highly acclaimed like Forza Horizon, Flight sim, hifi rush, Pentiment, and a few others aren't games that generate hype where a person will say I must have that game. I know Forza Horizon is a beast of a game, but nobody is going to spend $500 to play a racing game.

Anyway, they def have more than a game issue. First, they need to release steady stream of games. Second, need to improve mindshare about the brand, which is probably hard due to the bozos at marketing and in charge. Lastly, need to think global, but that's a Microsoft issue where across the board they don't think globally

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Microsoft is not leaving the console market :mjlol:

What's going to happen is you Playstation boys are gonna step into Halo and be my practice noobs.
Maybe not but what's the incentive to buy their console if their first party games are gonna be on Nintendo and PlayStation.

They've already cut the price and it's not really helping. What's the point?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Second, need to improve mindshare about the brand, which is probably hard due to the bozos at marketing and in charge. Lastly, need to think global, but that's a Microsoft issue where across the board they don't think globally

These two things are kinda intertwined also. Just going hard with gamepass ads in North America isn’t really enough. Look at what Sony is doing expanding into Korea, India, China, and now Africa. Without the Hoyo verse and now the avalanche of Gacha games Sony would be struggling in eastern territories but they found a way to stay relevant there.

On top of that sony put in a good amount of effort in Europe and Japan to make sure they’re in the public eye. The fact that they are funding so many foreign developers and providing proper localization is how you keep mindshare.

You can’t in one breath say “we’re going all in on gaming” and not market your console and games outside of one region.

Microsoft just at this point has proven to me it has no idea how to really connect with consumers in a non-superficial way.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Maybe not but what's the incentive to buy their console if their first party games are gonna be on Nintendo and PlayStation.

What’s the incentive to buy a playstation when all sonys games are coming to PC and xbox :usure:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What’s the incentive to buy a playstation when all sonys games are coming to PC and xbox :usure:
- Gaming PCs cost over $1000
- most console gamers prefer the ease of consoles over PC
- built up ecosystem on playstation

I am a firm believer that PC market doesn't impact console market that much because most console gamers prefer consoles due to ease of use and affordable price for high-end gaming

Marlow Stanfield

Superstar
Daps

Because it's most likely only going to be a small handful of exclusive games that go multiplatform, which is something both Microsoft and Playstation have been doing for years now. Especially since both companies have been buying up developers. Don't expect the entire Xbox exclusive catalog to be ported over. That is foolish.

This whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion and the reality is probably going to be incredibly underwhelming compared to the online rumors.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
here comes dodo. :skip:

They are just gonna Sonytoo™ until they are blue in the face (heh)

They will just ignore all the relevant discussion about branding. Sony has made consumer facing products since the 70’s, they know how to sell electronics/tech, it’s not just gaming. They’re a multimedia company that makes the majority of their money selling direct to consumer products, whether its games, music, tv, etc.

There’s no comparison to Microsoft just because they both currently make gaming consoles. There’s a reason Nadella keeps shouting “AI AI AI AI” they ain’t in the hardware business for the long haul

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Because it's most likely only going to be a small handful of exclusive games that go multiplatform, which is something both Microsoft and Playstation have been doing for years now. Especially since both companies have been buying up developers. Don't expect the entire Xbox exclusive catalog to be ported over. That is foolish.

This whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion and the reality is probably going to be incredibly underwhelming compared to the online rumors.

The reality is that after next week xbox console owners will have less reason to own one than they had this week. thats why you have big press events like this in the beginning of the year.

The ‘free’ handouts are over more or less is what they are gonna say in much prettier words. Microsofts console sales are already cratering, announcing even a few first party titles for PLAYSTATION is a death sentence no matter what.

Look at how many pc players are still waiting for Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima on PC. There will be that much more people willing to wait on something like Hellblade 2 coming to PS5 now with dualsense support. There is overlap with PC and Console but not nearly as big of an overlap of competing console platforms.

Almost every xbox stan on this forum has a PS5. Only about maybe a 3rd of PS5 players on here have a seres x

Last edited: