Microsoft says all their first party games for Series X will also be on Xbox One.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
people still arent realizing that all they are getting is SSD's basically, XB1X already runs fine at 4k :yeshrug:

you'll still get capped FPS but with regular loading times

from what I read on here, most cats dont even got 4k TVs yet :scusthov:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
people still arent realizing that all they are getting is SSD's basically, XB1X already runs fine at 4k :yeshrug:

you'll still get capped FPS but with regular loading times

from what I read on here, most cats dont even got 4k TVs yet :scusthov:
False as a muthafukka. Besides the push for 120fps the other thing is how these systems are VRR compatible and how all the new TV sets moving forward will have that built in. Tru Story

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
If the developers can get the games to work on old hardware, I dont see why they shouldn't port them over.

Aside from stan arguements about technicalities of series x exclusives of course

:yeshrug:

I don’t think the issue is porting per say, it’s more of developing the game knowing it has to run on inferior hardware from day one. If my target is directly to XBSX then my mind state is:

“I’m gonna have 75 enemies rush the character and I’m gonna have the player activate the macguffin and do a kamehameha”.

but if you developing with XB-OX in mind you may think...

“well I would like to have 75 enemies rush the character but the one x can’t handle the enemies and kamehameha so let’s reduce the enemy counts.” ***you end reduce enemy counts*** “the scene doesn’t have the same gravitas with less enemies so let’s rewrite it to make it dramatic on both platforms.

I guarantee trade-offs like this are happening.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don’t think the issue is porting per say, it’s more of developing the game knowing it has to run on inferior hardware from day one. If my target is directly to XBSX then my mind state is:

“I’m gonna have 75 enemies rush the character and I’m gonna have the player activate the macguffin and do a kamehameha”.

“well I would like to have 75 enemies rush the character but the one x can’t handle the enemies and kamehameha so let’s reduce the enemy counts.” ***you end reduce enemy counts*** “the scene doesn’t have the same gravitas with less enemies so let’s rewrite it to make it dramatic on both platforms.

You just have less enemies in the last gen version.

We’ve seen this already in previous cross gen games.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yup, the Xbox fanboys are sipping the apple juice MSFT PR is feeding them but there's evidence that cross gen games are held back. Examples of games being held back due to limitations on the hardware:

In an official video from Bungie, lead world artist Rob Adams explains how Destiny would have been a much larger game had it been exclusive to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The game’s Cosmodrome was intended to be five to ten times bigger than it actually was and a memory buffer had to be used in order to get the game’s “Steppes” and “Divide” areas adjacent to each other. Due to technical limitations of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, large objects would be purposefully placed to obscure the player’s vision and keep him or her from noticing significant frame rate drops, too.

Division

The Outer Worlds
While discussing the Groundbreaker, the second location in the game that you explore, senior game designer Brian Heins explains how the setting was originally split between three separate levels each featuring a load screen. This was too much for the team and so it decided to create a single cohesive environment, which brought about its own problems. Areas such as the medical bay had to be tweaked in order to work on the station's main promenade as well as a few other locations as the single setting now blew past the memory constraints of the PS4 and Xbox One. As such, an entire section of the Groundbreaker, dubbed "the Bridge" was cut simply to fit on consoles.
The Outer Worlds Was Held Back by Console Memory Budgets

When devs/PR spokesmen say a game won't be held back (As in the case of Phil saying cross gen games won't hold back XsX games), it's pure PR.

They obviously won't come out and speak down on their own hardware and say they could've done so much more if they made it exclusive to their newest platform. Some of these fans are gullible as hell to think a company spokesman is going to admit their newest hardware will be held back initially by older games; no they're going to downplay differences and talk in a way to make it seem like even though their upcoming product will be on multiplat platforms, the newest one will be better(obviously for purposes of selling said hardware), while simultaneously crafting their message carefully to appear pro-consumer so as to not rile up the whiny gamers who love to pull out pitchforks because they can't afford the new console. You the consumer will never really know what the original vision was intended to be, you just see the end product having better framerate/graphics and conclude it was a matter of ticking a few things down to make the older version.

You can't claim to be excited for next gen and understand leaps in hardware capabilities and then in the same breath be on some #allconsolesmatter shyt and downplay the advances just because you want to defend a choice your favorite game company decides to make.

It can't be "Xbox has a very fast SSD too!" and then "but PS5 games can be on PS4 too just add loading screen/dial back this etc." I know why they do it to but to act like it's possible to make a fully realized next gen game taking advantage of the new hardware AND also make said game work fine on last gen is disingenuous. Something "running" doesn't equal playable. ND could've made UC4 60fps AND run on PS3, it just wouldn't be the same UC4 we got today.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yup, the Xbox fanboys are sipping the apple juice MSFT PR is feeding them but there's evidence that cross gen games are held back. Examples of games being held back due to limitations on the hardware:

Division

The Outer Worlds
The Outer Worlds Was Held Back by Console Memory Budgets

When devs/PR spokesmen say a game won't be held back (As in the case of Phil saying cross gen games won't hold back XsX games), it's pure PR.

They obviously won't come out and speak down on their own hardware and say they could've done so much more if they made it exclusive to their newest platform. Some of these fanboys are gullible as hell to think a company spokesman is going to admit their newest hardware will be held back initially by older games; no they're going to downplay differences and talk in a way to make it seem like even though their upcoming product will be on multiplat platforms, the newest one will be better(obviously for purposes of selling said hardware), while simultaneously crafting their message carefully to appear pro-consumer so as to not rile up the whiny gamers who love to pull out pitchforks because they can't afford the new console. You the consumer will never really know what the original vision was intended to be, you just see the end product having better framerate/graphics and conclude it was a matter of ticking a few things down to make the older version.

You can't claim to be excited for next gen and understand leaps in hardware capabilities and then in the same breath be on some #allconsolesmatter shyt and downplay the advances just because you want to defend a choice your favorite game company decides to make. It can't be "Xbox has a very fast SSD too!" and then "but PS5 games can be on PS4 too just add loading screen/dial back this etc." I know why they do it to but to act like it's possible to make a fully realized next gen game taking advantage of the new hardware AND also make said game work fine on last gen is disingenuous. Something "running" doesn't equal playable.

Destiny 2 was PS4 only and was built the same damn way :stopitslime:

The outer worlds story is exactly what I said. The last gen version will have more loading screens. “next gen” hardware wasn’t available to most consumers at the time so they dropped the content. In a cross gen scenario they would have just put the load screens in the last gen version.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Destiny 2 was PS4 only and was built the same damn way :stopitslime:

The outer worlds story is exactly what I said. The last gen version will have more loading screens. “next gen” hardware wasn’t available to most consumers at the time so they dropped the content. In a cross gen scenario they would have just put the load screens in the last gen version.
Destiny 2 is a GAAS game which was built pretty much off of Destiny 1. They didnt' even release Destiny 1's Rise of Iron Expansion pack to PS3/360. They admitted they'd have to take things out but since you know exactly how it was built, what was built the same way :lupe:? You speak as if you know their plans for D2's development.
Around 90 percent of its player base - an overwhelming majority says Bungie's marketing director Eric Osborne - is already on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The studio couldn't justify the additional investment for owners of previous-gen consoles.

Secondly, there was also the problem of performance, or rather the lack of it, according to the developer. "In order to add new content at this time, and especially on the scale and scope of Rise of Iron, we would have to take away from those older consoles, you would have to lose something," Osborne told VG247. "We still wanna make sure that people playing on legacy consoles still have all the content that they paid for to date."

As for TOW, there was much more to it than just simply loading screens.

Elsewhere, Heins discusses another drawback to this. Obsidian had created too many NPCs for the game to handle on current-gen hardware, meaning that a certain number was cut completely from the experience. "It kind of breaks my heart a little bit, there's not a lot of people moving around on Groundbreaker. And that was basically because when we got the art pass done and the lighting pass, we had to actually pull back on the number of actual characters on the Groundbreaker to fit on consoles because we just didn't have the memory budget."
While discussing the Groundbreaker, the second location in the game that you explore, senior game designer Brian Heins explains how the setting was originally split between three separate levels each featuring a load screen. This was too much for the team and so it decided to create a single cohesive environment, which brought about its own problems.

I know man, it breaks your heart to admit that XsX will be mostly cross gen games that will merely have prettier versions of last gen games for a few years. :yeshrug:

:umad:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Destiny 2 is a GAAS game which was built pretty much off of Destiny 1. They didnt' even release Destiny 1's Rise of Iron Expansion pack to PS3/360.
:ohhh: so another example of a cross gen game existing and the “next gen” version being able to be upgraded.

So what was held back here?:jbhmm:

They admitted they'd have to take things out but since you know exactly how it was built, what was built the same way :lupe:? You speak as if you know their plans for D2's development.
Destiny 2 is already out and level design and general gameplay are not very far removed from the cross gen version. There aren’t any transformative differences just cause the last gen version was cut.

As for TOW, there was much more to it than just simply loading screens.
:what: so the last gen version gets less NPCs. Again we’ve seen this plenty of times in cross gen games.

I know man, it breaks your heart to admit that XsX will be mostly cross gen games that will merely have prettier versions of last gen games for a few years. :yeshrug:

:umad:
PS5 will be mostly cross gen games too dummy :mjlol:

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After this upcoming generation its gonna get harder and harder to justify cutting shyt off because hardware reasons anyway. We're already hitting 4k at playable framerates. The idea that the PS5 couldn't run a PS6 game when that SSD is probably overkill for even the PS6 generation plus the CPUs are actually good now would be ridiculous. What are they gonna say? Oh we can only run these games at 1800p on a ps5 instead of 8k? We're already at the point where launch/near launch games from the ps4/xb1 generation actually still hold up visually. Early PS5/XSX games will hold up even better than those games do.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
They might as well. They wouldn't have many games for it otherwise.

Consoler problems. :hubie:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: so another example of a cross gen game existing and the “next gen” version being able to be upgraded.

So what was held back here?:jbhmm:

Destiny 2 is already out and level design and general gameplay are not very far removed from the cross gen version. There aren’t any transformative differences just cause the last gen version was cut.

:what: so the last gen version gets less NPCs. Again we’ve seen this plenty of times in cross gen games.

PS5 will be mostly cross gen games too dummy :mjlol:
A game with more fidelity is not a next gen game. If that's the case then Modern Warfare is already a next gen game since you can already "upgrade" it if you're on the PC version which has ray tracing and support for higher fps and resolution. That's not a next gen built from the ground up game.