Microsoft says all their first party games for Series X will also be on Xbox One.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After this upcoming generation its gonna get harder and harder to justify cutting shyt off because hardware reasons anyway. We're already hitting 4k at playable framerates. The idea that the PS5 couldn't run a PS6 game when that SSD is probably overkill for even the PS6 generation plus the CPUs are actually good now would be ridiculous. What are they gonna say? Oh we can only run these games at 1800p on a ps5 instead of 8k? We're already at the point where launch/near launch games from the ps4/xb1 generation actually still hold up visually. Early PS5/XSX games will hold up even better than those games do.
Hardware advances is not going to stop in a few years. Resolution isn't the only ceiling. You still have more that can be done that won't be possible on XSX even now e.g. Avatar graphics.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
A game with more fidelity is not a next gen game. If that's the case then Modern Warfare is already a next gen game since you can already "upgrade" it if you're on the PC version which has ray tracing and support for higher fps and resolution. That's not a next gen built from the ground up game.
In the Destiny scenario you gave that was a clear example of a cross gen game being able to exist AND take advantage of the next gen hardware in more than just graphics.

That’s all I been saying. Nothing is “held back” if a dev wants to take advantage of new hardware AND scale their game down to lower hardware it’s very possible. There’s obviously a cut off where the sacrifices take so much away from the vision that it’s not worth putting the last gen version out, but that cutoff is usually nowhere near the launch of new hardware.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
A game with more fidelity is not a next gen game. If that's the case then Modern Warfare is already a next gen game since you can already "upgrade" it if you're on the PC version which has ray tracing and support for higher fps and resolution. That's not a next gen built from the ground up game.
With the way some of the rhetoric goes around here, I'm not too sure of that.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Yup, the Xbox fanboys are sipping the apple juice MSFT PR is feeding them but there's evidence that cross gen games are held back. Examples of games being held back due to limitations on the hardware:

Division

The Outer Worlds
The Outer Worlds Was Held Back by Console Memory Budgets

When devs/PR spokesmen say a game won't be held back (As in the case of Phil saying cross gen games won't hold back XsX games), it's pure PR.

They obviously won't come out and speak down on their own hardware and say they could've done so much more if they made it exclusive to their newest platform. Some of these fans are gullible as hell to think a company spokesman is going to admit their newest hardware will be held back initially by older games; no they're going to downplay differences and talk in a way to make it seem like even though their upcoming product will be on multiplat platforms, the newest one will be better(obviously for purposes of selling said hardware), while simultaneously crafting their message carefully to appear pro-consumer so as to not rile up the whiny gamers who love to pull out pitchforks because they can't afford the new console. You the consumer will never really know what the original vision was intended to be, you just see the end product having better framerate/graphics and conclude it was a matter of ticking a few things down to make the older version.

You can't claim to be excited for next gen and understand leaps in hardware capabilities and then in the same breath be on some #allconsolesmatter shyt and downplay the advances just because you want to defend a choice your favorite game company decides to make.

It can't be "Xbox has a very fast SSD too!" and then "but PS5 games can be on PS4 too just add loading screen/dial back this etc." I know why they do it to but to act like it's possible to make a fully realized next gen game taking advantage of the new hardware AND also make said game work fine on last gen is disingenuous. Something "running" doesn't equal playable. ND could've made UC4 60fps AND run on PS3, it just wouldn't be the same UC4 we got today.

Great post. Like you said, these Xbox shills are using the fact that they only see the finished product and not the original vision as a way to delude themselves. Sacrifices are made to accommodate lesser platforms and that is definitely happening with every exclusive Microsoft is going to release for the next two years. This sounds like a losing strategy to me...their exclusives could start being outclassed in the first year.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Great post. Like you said, these Xbox shills are using the fact that they only see the finished product and not the original vision as a way to delude themselves. Sacrifices are made to accommodate lesser platforms and that is definitely happening with every exclusive Microsoft is going to release for the next two years. This sounds like a losing strategy to me...their exclusives could start being outclassed in the first year.
Sony’s big Launch game is literally an expansion of a PS4 game.

You nikkas crazy :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup, the finished product isn't always the original vision. We saw that with Uncharted 4, they showed a 60fps teaser that ended up being cut because they said they'd have to cut and compromise the game if they kept it at 60fps.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don’t think the issue is porting per say, it’s more of developing the game knowing it has to run on inferior hardware from day one. If my target is directly to XBSX then my mind state is:

“I’m gonna have 75 enemies rush the character and I’m gonna have the player activate the macguffin and do a kamehameha”.

but if you developing with XB-OX in mind you may think...

“well I would like to have 75 enemies rush the character but the one x can’t handle the enemies and kamehameha so let’s reduce the enemy counts.” ***you end reduce enemy counts*** “the scene doesn’t have the same gravitas with less enemies so let’s rewrite it to make it dramatic on both platforms.

I guarantee trade-offs like this are happening.
I think the switch proves that developers can effectively strip down the game to make it playable on extremely weak hardware.

I dont think the xbox 1 will affect development in any meaningful way.

Like in your example, what makes you think the developers wouldn't just lower the enemy could on the X1 only? They do it for switch ports.

It's a matter of developing the game and then removing features until it can run on X1. Plus I dont think this will be a factor once next gen really starts taking off after the first 2 years, which is conveniently when they plan on dropping support.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We literally see this with the switch.

Piss poor ports of games, but they are fully intact without effecting the quality of the ps4/X1 ports.
A Switch isn't too different from the Xbox One. A 3DS wouldn't run Witcher 3. Look at FFXV, that had to be changed to be on mobile. Now the key differential here is those ports are late releases most of the time. Are we going to say the next Naughty dog game for PS5 can be made on the Switch?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
A Switch isn't too different from the Xbox One. A 3DS wouldn't run Witcher 3.
Yes it is different, the shyt has half the specs across the board. The witcher 3 already struggled on ps4/X1 and they still found a way to get it running on the switch.

nikkas on this board think they know more about game development than people that actually develop games.

:hhh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes it is different, the shyt has half the specs across the board.
It's different in specs(weaker) but it supports some of the feature sets allowing some games to be ported. Key word PORTED. Most of the current gen games aren't made day one with the Switch. Case in point Witcher 3 already was out for years before the Switch version came out. Doom(2016) came out several months after the Switch released, not day 1(Yes, I know the Switch released in 2017.)

Doom Eternal already came out on PS4/Xbox/PC and STILL has not released on the Switch yet with a release date still TBA.

The witcher 3 already struggled on ps4/X1 and they still found a way to get it running on the switch.
"they found a way", yes they found a way to port a game two years after the Switch came out. That's still significantly different from a game being made day and date with the big boys.

Feature: Where Does Nintendo Switch Fit In The PS5 And Xbox Project Scarlett Next-Gen War?

This article details this.
It goes without saying that it will make cross-platform ports more challenging. "As long as there have been different consoles available to gamers, there have always been discrepancies in the potentially achievable performance metrics," says Elijah Freeman, VP of Games Division at Virtuos, the studio that ported the likes of L.A. Noire, Starlink and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster to Switch. "As the landscape evolves, it will be increasingly challenging to achieve one-to-one results from platform to platform, SKU to SKU. Variables in the technical factors remain unique to the hardware, engine, game and developer."

However, there will obviously come a time when even the most dedicated PS4 and Xbox One owners will upgrade, and that will create a headache for developers seeking to port over releases to the Switch. "PS5 and Scarlett will become the new baseline, and that's where things will get interesting," says Leadbetter. "The challenge for developers will be two-fold at that point. First of all, there's the storage angle – Switch's storage is actually relatively slow against a mechanical hard drive, so up against an SSD with low-level access, there's probably a couple of orders of magnitude difference in terms of performance. CPU is also an issue – the Zen 2 cores actually deliver a proper generational leap here. Graphics are a concern too, but this is probably the most easily scalable element.

Some games weren't even ported, they had to be streamed to the Switch. Saying that the devs will just easily make Switch ports dialed back without it being a struggle is naive. The games often brought up came out much later after their original versions released.

nikkas on this board think they know more about game development than people that actually develop games.

:hhh:
Nobody "thinks" they know more than game development than the people that actually develop games. That's your projection. Saying games will be held back if they are targeting a last gen console alongside a next gen console is not a claim of knowing more than the developer.

The biggest difference here is the Switch is still closer to a XB1 than it is to a Series X.

You think a AAA title releasing for the PS5/XSX will have a day 1 switch release? When they can't even get a day 1 release for current gen games now? Even CD Project Red are saying they're not sure Cyberpunk 2077 can be released on the Switch.

Any plans for Cyberpunk 2077 on Nintendo Switch?

Not as far as I know. Not yet. I don’t know if Cyberpunk 2077 would work on the Nintendo Switch. It might be too heavy for it. But then, we did put Witcher 3 on it and we thought that would be too heavy too but somehow we pulled it off.
They're not even "sure" they can get it working on the Switch. You see the big difference between what you think I'm saying? The few miracle games that made it to the Switch, were ported LATER, not DAY 1 such as a game like Halo Infinite or the slew of PS4/One/PS5/XSX games.

This is VERY DIFFERENT from a game TARGETING a last gen and next gen console to be released day 1 with each other. Apples and oranges here. The Witcher 3 releasing later on the Switch is not the smoking gun that you think it is in regards to games not holding a more powerful system back.

Last edited: