Mickey Rourke criticizes 'irrelevant' Tom Cruise for playing the 'same F*CKING part for 35 years'

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t think Tom would make a good Neo, but I think he’d easily be great as Wick. Wick is the same dude from Collateral with a little bit more emotion. Reeves is a good Wick, however, Reeves couldn’t do a Top Gun, Mission Impossible or an Edge of Tomorrow in my opinion.
Reeves in Cruise's role in Magnolia :mjlol:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Reminded me of this for sum reason lmao

robin-hood-english-accent.gif

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Adrian Lyne is a favorite director of mine, but I had never seen 9 1/2 Weeks, and I love that style of movie, just finished it on Tuesday.

Late 80's NYC, Manhattan, love affairs. So I watched, and I was stunned by Rourke. I only knew him as a sleazeball character actor, though he was very good at that, "Get Carter" is one performance I love, besides stuff like The Wrestler.

To the point, I texted my homie that Rourke cold have had a Cruise like career, he was so good in 9 1/2 Weeks, and my boy explained what happened to his career.
I don’t think I see a rourke film but I know he started with Pac in one. I only know the one Pac did with Tim Roth.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The last 20 years not the last 35 years.

Tom has essentially played the same character since Collateral.

Before this his roles were definitely more ranged.

Daps
Adrian Lyne is a favorite director of mine, but I had never seen 9 1/2 Weeks, and I love that style of movie, just finished it on Tuesday.

Late 80's NYC, Manhattan, love affairs. So I watched, and I was stunned by Rourke. I only knew him as a sleazeball character actor, though he was very good at that, "Get Carter" is one performance I love, besides stuff like The Wrestler.

To the point, I texted my homie that Rourke cold have had a Cruise like career, he was so good in 9 1/2 Weeks, and my boy explained what happened to his career.

Rourke was Mr Hollywood in the 80s

I’m going to watch 9 1/2 weeks tonight

Slave To Loveeeeee

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.

This is Mickey doing press for the Pope of Greenwich Village in 1984.

Hes always felt that way about popcorn movies even at the top of his game. The message is consistant.

Hes always been an actor's actor. It's a shame his refusal to be political forced him to do all those bad roles to pay bills. Hes one of the best of his generation. There's a reason Sean Penn and Brad Pitt cite him as a massive influence.

Cruise played the game and got what he wanted. To be a superstar and make huge blockbuster pictures. Mickey contextualized it correctly.

Cruise isn't someone whos talented in or respectful of the craft so hes not relevant to what Mickey values in acting. Cruise's popularity is proof that while hes done some great works, his primary concern lies with shallow, easily accessible seat fillers.

Cruise fans more so than acting fans are taking issue with his views. That being said, Mickey's bitterness is evident here for name dropping Cruise specifically.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps

This is Mickey doing press for the Pope of Greenwich Village in 1984.

Hes always felt that way about popcorn movies even at the top of his game. The message is consistant.

Hes always been an actor's actor. It's a shame his refusal to be political forced him to do all those bad roles to pay bills. Hes one of the best of his generation. There's a reason Sean Penn and Brad Pitt cite him as a massive influence.

Cruise played the game and got what he wanted. To be a superstar and make huge blockbuster pictures. Mickey contextualized it correctly.

Cruise isn't someone whos talented in or respectful of the craft so hes not relevant to what Mickey values in acting. Cruise's popularity is proof that while hes done some great works, his primary concern lies with shallow, easily accessible seat fillers.

Cruise fans more so than acting fans are taking issue with his views. That being said, Mickey's bitterness is evident here for name dropping Cruise specifically.

Good points made can't really argue with that.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
The middle ground between an "artist's artist" like Mickey Rourke and a superstar like Tom Cruise is Idris Elba. His philosophy is "you do one for them, you do one for you". That's why the guy who plays Heimdall and Janek is also Stringer Bell and the Commandant in Beasts of No Nation.

Idris Elba and the Painful Truth of Acting

teacher

All Star
Daps
Tom Cruise is one of the few cacs I would defend …. With that said :pacspit:@ rourke