Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated franchise in the history of gaming

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Still wasn't overlooked though? Lol.
Yes it was :dame: when sequels of great games come out usually more people play that version because it's an established game. Some people say mgs3 is better than MGS2. So why would the better sequel of a top game of all time on a system that sold well not sell as much?

The same way you are gonna bullshyt that answer is what's going on now :francis:
MGS 1 and 2 are my fav. MGS 3 is crazy dope. MGS4 and 5? Nah. 5 wasnt even a finished game. But the first 3 are so classic I wouldnt call the series overrated. The 5th game wouldve been way better if it was finished.
You agreeing with me, read below...
The term overrated is overrated.:yeshrug:
I truly believe that the term is not used enough. I'm not blanket stating that MGS is overrated. There is substance to why it is what I say it is.

First off, nothing can be overrated if it wasn't good. Nobody overrates a crappy game. Nobody is saying superman64 was overrated. It could be underrated (it's not) but you get my point. As soon as nikkaz seen MGS is OVERRATED, the thought is that I'm saying it's a bad franchise :stop:

So agreeing with you, MGS4 was then deemed the best game ever made. You wanna know who said that? Ign/gamespot/Rekkapryde :hula: you name it. Yet now everyone is talking about how bad it was :ohhh:

Isn't that the epitome of overrating :dahell:
Mgs5 was a dud, so that's twice. MGS3 was overlooked so for a lot of gamers the last time a great metal gear game came around was on the ps2.

The Nintendo versions were ok but not worthy of mentioning. You add it all up and this series is highly overrated. With mgs1 and 2 being the peak. Great game, too bad even Splinter Cell has surpassed it as a "series" which would be blasphemous to say at one point. shyt, splinter cell 2 and 3 online still hasn't been matched :whew:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Yes it was :dame: when sequels of great games come out usually more people play that version because it's an established game. Some people say mgs3 is better than MGS2. So why would the better sequel of a top game of all time on a system that sold well not sell as much?

The same way you are gonna bullshyt that answer is what's going on now :francis:

You agreeing with me, read below...

I truly believe that the term is not used enough. I'm not blanket stating that MGS is overrated. There is substance to why it is what I say it is.

First off, nothing can be overrated if it wasn't good. Nobody overrates a crappy game. Nobody is saying superman64 was overrated. It could be underrated (it's not) but you get my point. As soon as nikkaz seen MGS is OVERRATED, the thought is that I'm saying it's a bad franchise :stop:

So agreeing with you, MGS4 was then deemed the best game ever made. You wanna know who said that? Ign/gamespot/Rekkapryde :hula: you name it. Yet now everyone is talking about how bad it was :ohhh:

Isn't that the epitome of overrating :dahell:
Mgs5 was a dud, so that's twice. MGS3 was overlooked so for a lot of gamers the last time a great metal gear game came around was on the ps2.

The Nintendo versions were ok but not worthy of mentioning. You add it all up and this series is highly overrated. With mgs1 and 2 being the peak. Great game, too bad even Splinter Cell has surpassed it as a "series" which would be blasphemous to say at one point. shyt, splinter cell 2 and 3 online still hasn't been matched :whew:
Splinter Cell hasnt surpassed MGS as a series. U buggin for that. A game being overrated isnt the same as callin a series overrated. MGS 1-3 are considered some of the best games of all time. Let alone in their respective genre. Dont know why u keep leaving 3 out when it’s considered the best in the series by alot of people. And lets get it straight. Metal Gear for the NES isnt the real game. Metal Gear is an MSX series originally. Metal Gear 2 for the NES isnt even cannon to the series. The real Metal Gear 2 came out on the MSX2. The MSX versions of the game >>>>>>> NES.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Metal Gear franchise is basically Nas' career-- "one hot game every ten year average"

Metal Gear Solid on the first PS was Illmatic... the rest had some stellar moments here and there but overall the series is
Jay-Z-so-so.gif
to me. I was even kinda disappointed that Metal Gear Solid 5 was open world. I play enough open world games, I actually wanted a linear game from them:francis:

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: PS4

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Splinter Cell hasnt surpassed MGS as a series. U buggin for that. A game being overrated isnt the same as callin a series overrated. MGS 1-3 are considered some of the best games of all time. Let alone in their respective genre. Dont know why u keep leaving 3 out when it’s considered the best in the series by alot of people. And lets get it straight. Metal Gear for the NES isnt the real game. Metal Gear is an MSX series originally. Metal Gear 2 for the NES isnt even cannon to the series. The real Metal Gear 2 came out on the MSX2. The MSX versions of the game >>>>>>> NES.
I'm well aware of the history bruh, my first post was worded so the fake replies like yours could be avoided. Metal gear wasn't shyt on either of those systems. Decent games that most people played because they rented it :yeshrug you can act like it was beloved but it wasn't :stopitslime:

No debate, 1-3 were good. Let's stop acting like mgs3 was universally loved because it wasn't. And it sold only half of what MGS2 did. To the majority of gamers, the last great MGS game was on the ps2. The hype never died down tho, the expectations remained high, can you say overrated?

As for splinter cell, first off MGS4 had a crappy online mode because of splintercell. And splinter cell 2 and 3 on Xbox and PC were totally different games than what Sony had. And that shyt was epic. The campaign in splinter cell was great back then was well. The next gen splinter cells was not as universally popular but we're still great games unlike metal gear. Only the multiplayer fell off. Overall in my opinion splinter cell surpassed MGS a long time ago :francis:
MGS 1 and 3 are classics.

The rest range from :ld: to :smh:.
Which is exactly why the series is overrated. Mgs1 isn't overrated, neither is mgs2. Mgs3 is, MGS4 was but no longer is thanks to revisionist history, mgs5 is.

No other franchise has the expectations MGS gets when it launches outside of GTA. And that franchise is overrated as well but to a lesser extent of course...

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Splinter Cell is EASILY a better stealth franchise.

Chaos Theory, Conviction and Blacklist > ANY MGS

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Splinter Cell is EASILY a better stealth franchise.

Chaos Theory, Conviction and Blacklist > ANY MGS
fukk outta here. Lol. MGS1 by itself >>>>>>>>

Having to switch controllers to beat Psycho Mantis >>>>>

Having to check the back of the case to get the codecs >>>>>

Meryl >>>>>>>

VR Missions>>>>>

One of the most creative, revolutionary and engaging gaming experiences of all time.

Last edited: