Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated franchise in the history of gaming

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Is blacklist more of an evolution of conviction or is it a return to old style?
Blacklist is beyond dope. Like it was one of my favorite games that came out that year. U need to pick it up. Asap. I honestly think it was prolly the overall funnest in the whole series. Graphics is bananas too. I have it on PC and the shyt still holds up to today’s games.

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

Hostile

All Star
Daps
Still wasn't overlooked though? Lol.
No one said it was overlooked. They said people missed out on playing it. A lot of people may know about it and call it the best in the series but it still sold less than the others.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
MGS 1 , 3, and 5 belong in the top 20games of all time.
I'm glad you wrote this, because we have to acknowledge how opinions differ on this series. You don't have MGS2 rated that high. And the truth is a lot of people didn't like pt.2, it wasn't as I don't know...Open worldly? Pt.1 In my memory banks allowed you to tackle it in different ways? While pt.2 felt more linear to me but was still excellent imo.

I think mgs2 turned alot of people off, so mgs3 ended up selling less than half of what mgs2 did. And out of this half that did play it, not everyone liked it (Myself included) I tried playing it once and for bored, figured I'd get to it again one day :to: lol at the universal hate for MGS4 after it was "rated" so highly based off of previous swag and console exclusivity. Losing that took the luster off, mgs5 could be epic but the masses don't agree.

My thing is to some people this series hasn't been great since the ps1. Others the ps2. PS5 will be out in 2/3 years. Overrated is understated

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm glad you wrote this, because we have to acknowledge how opinions differ on this series. You don't have MGS2 rated that high. And the truth is a lot of people didn't like pt.2, it wasn't as I don't know...Open worldly? Pt.1 In my memory banks allowed you to tackle it in different ways? While pt.2 felt more linear to me but was still excellent imo.

I think mgs2 turned alot of people off, so mgs3 ended up selling less than half of what mgs2 did. And out of this half that did play it, not everyone liked it (Myself included) I tried playing it once and for bored, figured I'd get to it again one day :to: lol at the universal hate for MGS4 after it was "rated" so highly based off of previous swag and console exclusivity. Losing that took the luster off, mgs5 could be epic but the masses don't agree.

My thing is to some people this series hasn't been great since the ps1. Others the ps2. PS5 will be out in 2/3 years. Overrated is understated

I think MGS2 just went over a lot of people's heads.

Took me years to appreciate it.Story wise, it's the "deepest"

If you asked me which game I'd rather play, I'd put 1 & 3 ahead of it.

2 was a different type of gaming experience.Never felt so drained after finishing a game.

Some of that probably had to do with the fact I played it for a whole day straight.

Beat it in about 24-30 hrs.Nonstop..no sleep

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
I think MGS2 just went over a lot of people's heads.

Took me years to appreciate it.Story wise, it's the "deepest"

If you asked me which game I'd rather play, I'd put 1 & 3 ahead of it.

2 was a different type of gaming experience.Never felt so drained after finishing a game.

Some of that probably had to do with the fact I played it for a whole day straight.

Beat it in about 24-30 hrs.Nonstop..no sleep
I didn't think MGS2 was too deep to follow, maybe age factors. I'm 67 btw

llt23

All Star
Daps
Nothing you said is wrong but if MGS1,2 and 3 are classics then.........thats not that overrated. Most people agree that 4 was a little too crazy and that 5 is disappointing.

I think a better topic would be Zelda.... OOT is my fav game of all time, and I also love LTTP and I liked Links Awakening as a kid, but the rest I couldnt really fukk with. Wind Waker was cool I guess. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were failures... etc etc. You could probably do more numbers with that topic instead. :salute:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
The only thing that turned people off from MGS2 was the bait and switch Hideo did with introducing Raiden. The demo for MGS2 came in Zone of the Enders, (probably the most downloaed demo next to P.T.) Ad said demo was the tanker part with Snake. Hell, Raiden isn't even on the box art. This was a very cheesy way of Kojima introducing the butt boy of the series.

He then accepts Raiden's butt boy status and makes hims Volgen's literal cock slave....with lightning bolt thong. Besides that, the gameplay was great, as it always is with Hideo. shytty story but the most ridiculous. Big Medic aka Fake Snake was probably the dumbest writing ever, but again, epic level gameplay.

In that respect, it is the most overrated franchise of all time, with merit of course. Its both great to play and overrated...to be fair, so is the Bioshock series, still excellently done games.

Last edited:
  • Dap

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
MGS 5 is the only mainline game in the series I can say was truly flawed. I mean MGS4 had some design issues (lossless audio takes up alot of disc space :snoop:) But I can't call the game "FLAWED".

1 is classic, shoulda went triple.
2 is classic, despite its criticisms. In hindsight, MGS2 is where Kojima makes some of his most profound statements in the series that still ring true today.
3 is classic, and imo the most gassed honestly.
4 is classic, because of the same reasons 2 is. Kojima's messages laced through the game. His exploration of "war economy" and nanotechnology manipulation are mind-blowing.
5 is amazing but not classic.

This isn't even including Peace Walker which is one of the best PSP games ever made and tragically underplayed because of the platform it was on.

If anything, MGS is one of the few series that people ADMIT has tons of flaws and quirks but is still classic because its made by a man who still gives a fukk about making good games and not just making money.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
Imo its either you fukks wit it or you don't fukks wit it.

In my case , it's worth coping but never was a first day /pre order joint like most people treat it like.

• Dap

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Hear me out then "think" about it :whoa:

Metal Gear on Nintendo was decent, but wasn't thought of as anything special. It was more famous for having cigarettes and nudie magazines in it :manny:

Metal gear 2 was even less special in the scheme of gaming, I never heard anyone anywhere mention it as a notable title. At the time at least. Revisionist might have you thinking it was a big deal :francis:

Metal Gear Solid hits the scene and it was one of the first titles to really take advantage of new hardware and MGS with full voice overs is now in a 3D space, set up to resemble a movie. And it was epic, boss fights took strategy, it was refreshing to see.

I personally loved metal gear solid 2, but a lot of lamers didn't like it because the story didn't go as they hoped :wrist:

Metal Gear solid 3 for whatever reason was missed by gamers, maybe it came at a time of console transition? I don't know why so many missed out on mgs3 but the few who did play it claim it's the best of the entire series. Why was it the least played tho???

Metal Gear solid 4 is what killed the series off imo. For starters it couldn't live up to the expectations. If MGS2 was the last mgs you played then MGS4 was a good follow up but didn't wow you like you probably was expecting. And if you played mgs3 then you'll notice how easy MGS4 was in comparison. The story was becoming a parody of itself at this point as well.

Metalgear 5 gamers hoped it would either be the sequel to MGS2 they felt they didn't get or :hula: the sequel to MGS3 that those gamers didn't get. New gen hardware, open world? Sounds awesome, sign me up!!! The game came, went, the reactions was that it was alright :francis:

So after 7 Metal Gear Games (not including the handheld versions) I only rock with metalgear, metal gear solid and MGS2 like that. If you only really rock with 2/3 MGS games as well then this series is overrated in your opinion. I agree :handshake:

i tolerate alot of BS posts u make and i refrain from puttin my 2 cents in u been making xbox fans look bad for a min but this is your worst offense yet yo mods i cant take it no more get this nikka outta here ASAP @Brooklynzson @Rekkapryde

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
MGS 5 is the only mainline game in the series I can say was truly flawed. I mean MGS4 had some design issues (lossless audio takes up alot of disc space :snoop:) But I can't call the game "FLAWED".
Then you not being honest with yourself, MGS4 is the most flawed entry in the solid series :ufdup: let's see you keep it real..
1 is classic, shoulda went triple.
Agreed :thumbsup:
2 is classic, despite its criticisms. In hindsight, MGS2 is where Kojima makes some of his most profound statements in the series that still ring true today.
I agree with the first line, the rest of that ranks only second to unamerican dreamer's comment about the psychological prowess possibilities of metal gear solid 4 :whew:
3 is classic, and imo the most gassed honestly.
So 1 for overrated :francis:
4 is classic, because of the same reasons 2 is. Kojima's messages laced through the game. His exploration of "war economy" and nanotechnology manipulation are mind-blowing.
So you like the story, you liked it so much you neglected to mention there was so much of it that you only had 4hrs of actual gameplay. And the story was uninteresting to the majority of gamers. At first it was deemed the best game ever made, EVERYONE REMEMBERS THAT RIGHT?

MANDELA effect maybe :patrice:
Now it's known to be trash to half the fans of the series, that makes it the most overrated because it was once rated BEST GAME EVER CREATED..

Metal Gear Solid 4 received universal acclaim, according to review aggregator website Metacritic.[72] The first review was a 10/10 from PlayStation Official Magazine (UK), commenting "MGS4 shifts gears constantly, innovating again and again".[89] The game has been awarded 10/10 from Game Informer[79]and a 5/5 in all categories (graphics, control, sound, and fun factor) from GamePro.[77]Japanese magazine Famitsu (40/40)[76] and Empire.[90] The game received a 9.9/10 from IGN,[83] a 9.5/10 from IGN Australia,[84] and a 10/10 from IGN.[82] IGN was quoted in a video review, saying MGS4 is "one of the best games ever made".[82] Edge[74] and Eurogamer[75] both gave the game 8/10. GameSpot gave it a 10/10 saying "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the most technically stunning video game ever made",[80] making MGS4 one of only five games ever to receive a perfect "10" from both IGN and GameSpot, and the sixth of only nine games to receive a perfect ten from GameSpot overall. :francis:
5 is amazing but not classic.

This isn't even including Peace Walker which is one of the best PSP games ever made and tragically underplayed because of the platform it was on.

If anything, MGS is one of the few series that people ADMIT has tons of flaws and quirks but is still classic because its made by a man who still gives a fukk about making good games and not just making money.
Except he didn't really make MGS5 because that was a money grab :gucci: and it wasn't that great so according to you (omitting your bias on MGS4) MGS ain't been shyt since MGS2. 3-5 are still good games but the series is over hyped because of the greatness from the ps1 and 2 eras :francis:
i tolerate alot of BS posts u make and i refrain from puttin my 2 cents in u been making xbox fans look bad for a min but this is your worst offense yet yo mods i cant take it no more get this nikka outta here ASAP @Brooklynzson @Rekkapryde
Name a more overrated franchise :popcorn: