Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Yeah Business as Usual is also great. I really don't understand EPMD's disrespect in here. Both Sermon and PMD had excellent flow and the music they produced were influential. Legitimately some of the greatest producers ever and you add the fact they were good on the mic on top of that.

My second favorite group of all-time, after Tribe.

Erick could easily be named a Top 5-10 producer too. He has mad classics. They get overlooked, all day. It's crazy.

phonthought3000

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The '84 Babies
Yeah, Yogi kept going. He was underrated on the beats.

Jadakiss said Da Dirty 30 is one of his favorite albums too, lol. A lot of people slept on it.
Phonte said when Little Brother met with Chris Lighty to talk about signing with Violator he told him how Da Dirty 30 was one of his fav.....Chris' response yea it was a good album.......but it didn't sell lol

DOSDUMUNI

Pass N' Fly Records
Daps
Lord Finesse - The Awakening
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
Originoo Gunn Clappaz - Da Storm
Cappadonna - The Pillage

Would have loved to see these listed as well

Last edited:

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Phonte said when Little Brother met with Chris Lighty to talk about signing with Violator he told him how Da Dirty 30 was one of his fav.....Chris' response yea it was a good album.......but it didn't sell lol

LOL!! Thing is, Violator and Def Jam didn't promote it at all.

They were on a roster with some of Hip Hop's biggest artists, and got lost in all that back then. Everyone else on the roster was selling mad records, but they said they couldn't even get Def Jam to give them a better budget for more videos and promotion. They just let the album die.

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
It's definitely better. Especially now. And I love RTD.
Idahih is perfect, and it can still be played front to back with no corny shyt or aged. He never made anything close to this ever again (although I think flesh of my flesh is dope too def easily his second best). The production still holds up and still sounds fresh to this day. I feel like it gets underrated the more time that goes by and doesn’t always get its due or recognized in the tier it’s in. It’s in my personal top 10 at the bottom two slots.

I don’t really get the urge to bump ready to die that much no disrespect to the album. idk I guess one just aged way better than the other. The production sounds dated on half of RTD. Who shot ya (bonus track which I replace with me and my bytch anyway) and unbelievable are the songs that I listen to most and still play. Machine gun funk and everyday struggle are my other favourites from it.

Last edited:

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
This list is all over the place lol Was AZ Doe Or Die on here? I don’t remember seeing it.

I didn’t see any Masta Ace’s albums. No Pete Rock Soul Survivor? No Lost Boyz? Mic Geronimo The Natural? I’m not even from NY but there’s some questionable choices here.

Ready To Die not being in the top 10 is blasphemous.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
This list is all over the place lol Was AZ Doe Or Die on here? I don’t remember seeing it.

I didn’t see any Masta Ace’s albums. No Pete Rock Soul Survivor? No Lost Boyz? Mic Geronimo The Natural? I’m not even from NY but there’s some questionable choices here.

Ready To Die not being in the top 10 is blasphemous.

All this.

I was waiting to see some Ace on there. I don’t get how SlaughtaHouse doesn't make a Top 100 NY albums list. Sittin' on Chrome and Disposable Arts could've definitely been mentioned too. They didn't even have Biz's Goin' Off, which is a NY staple and mad classic. A lot of revered classics were missing.

DillaTUDE

Superstar
Daps
All this.

I was waiting to see some Ace on there. I don’t get how SlaughtaHouse doesn't make a Top 100 NY albums list. Sittin' on Chrome and Disposable Arts could've definitely been mentioned too. They didn't even have Biz's Goin' Off, which is a NY staple and mad classic. A lot of revered classics were missing.

Bruh, it’s a Top 100–they’re not going to be able to fit every single album you like on it.

Aside from Cam’ron having way too many albums on here (could’ve just left it at CHWM and Diplomatic Immunity), all of the listed albums were more than worthy of Top 100 consideration.

You can’t just keep naming albums on a number restricted list and not mention the albums you think should be taken off of this list…

…so let us know which mentions you’re slighting and removing off of this list in favor of the albums you’ve been clamoring for to be included? And please don’t do the obvious and just name the albums from the 2010s

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Much like Jiggas music, The Blueprint is like a Ridley Scott movie, great production with acting=rapping, but doesn't elicit any emotion and can walk away without feeling anything. Album is waaay to high, personally I'd put The Black Album above.

Nice to see Hell On Earth ranked so high, but I feel No Way Out is ranked rather low and 4,5,6 is a crazy omission.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Much like Jiggas music, The Blueprint is like a Ridley Scott movie, great production with acting=rapping, but doesn't elicit any emotion and can walk away without feeling anything. Album is waaay to high, personally I'd put The Black Album above.

Nice to see Hell On Earth ranked so high, but I feel No Way Out is ranked rather low and 4,5,6 is a crazy omission.
456 is on the list