McDonald's makes a sample monthly budget to see how its employees survive on its pay

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
mcdonalds is not a job in which you should try to live comfortable off of

its supposed to be geared towards the youth

its a stack money job

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
that list of expenses is hilarious to me for some reason

EDIT: LMFAO at 0 for heat. FREEZE nikka!

yo that shyt got me in tears

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
McDonald's just explained that they believe a livable wage is about $15 an hour and are only paying half of it.

Good job morons

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

King Poetic

I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
McDonald's recently teamed up with Visa to create a financial planning site for its low-pay workforce. Unfortunately, whoever wrote the thing seems to have been literally incapable of imagining of how a fast food employee could survive on a minimum wage income.

McDonald%27s_Can%27t_Figure_Out_How-f270f8d8f5a72cd12154e6f236dbadb9

As Jim Cook at Irregular Times notes, the $1,105 figure up top is roughly what the average McDonald's cashier earning $7.72 an hour would take home each month after payroll taxes, if they worked 40 hours a week. So this budget applies to someone just about working two full-time jobs at normal fast-food pay. (The federal minimum wage is just $7.25 an hour, by the way, but 19 states and DC set theirs higher).

A few of the other ridiculous conceits here: This hypothetical worker doesn't pay a heating bill. I guess some utilities are included in their $600 a month rent? (At the end of 2012, average rent in the U.S. was $1,048). Gas and groceries are bundled into $27 a day spending money. And this individual apparently has access to $20 a month healthcare. McDonald's, for its part, charges employees $12.58 a week for the company's most basic health plan. Well, that's if they've been with the company for a year. Otherwise, it's $14.

Now, it's possible that McDonald's and Visa meant this sample budget to reflect a two-person household. That would be a tad more realistic, after all. Unfortunately, the brochure doesn't give any indication that's the case. Nor does it change the fact that most of these expenses would apply to a single person.

Of course, minimum wage workers aren't really entirely on their own, especially if they have children. There are programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and the earned income tax credit to help them along. But that's sort of the point. When large companies make profits by paying their workers unlivable wages, we end up subsidizing their bottom lines.

monthly net income doesn't equal after taxes income :snoop:

so after taxes she/he brings in $1400.00 a month and the givernment will still they make enough not to get welfare. FOH..

Mcdonalds acting like they some mom and pops store

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
When people gonna realize McDonalds is a job for a teenager living at home. Not for a dude with a family... OR at most a 20 something living with a roomate

That is all. If all minimum wage jobs paid dudes like he have 2 kids and a wife... this country wouldn't survive.

======
Immigrants as an example (not racial - do not delete post)... Can make it working these types of jobs cuz they live 3-5 deep. When I 1st moved here, me and my boys was 4 deep in a 2 bedroom, (at times 5 deep). We all worked min wage and went to college. I worked at Busch Gardens making like $6 an hour, and hustle selling reduced tickets whenever we go freebies... and free beer (we'd throw house parties, cuz we each got free cases of beer) when Budweiser used to own Busch Gardens back then.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
To me, I don't have my fukking hand out, but I have compassion for people I see struggling to make it, barely, working minimum wage or close to it, and just knowing they can't do anything but strive and suffer until they die, it's a miserable life, and yet you see families laughing and loving each other and waking up to do it again, and it's inspirational and uplifting and I'm a deeply cynical, negative, sarcastic person and that shyt gets to me...

I'm not an econ major, but I'm pretty fukking sure Mcdonalds CEO's and board of directors are taking home millions, if not not hundreds of millions yearly, and their employees are living on welfare in the slums, and it's bullshyt and I hate it....and I can't do anything, but I'm not going to concede and turn on what I feel in hopes that mindset propels up the corporate chain.

Mc Donald's CEO makes 30 mill a year

When people gonna realize McDonalds is a job for a teenager living at home. Not for a dude with a family... OR at most a 20 something living with a roomate

That is all. If all minimum wage jobs paid dudes like he have 2 kids and a wife... this country wouldn't survive.

======
Immigrants as an example (not racial - do not delete post)... Can make it working these types of jobs cuz they live 3-5 deep. When I 1st moved here, me and my boys was 4 deep in a 2 bedroom, (at times 5 deep). We all worked min wage and went to college. I worked at Busch Gardens making like $6 an hour, and hustle selling reduced tickets whenever we go freebies... and free beer (we'd throw house parties, cuz we each got free cases of beer) when Budweiser used to own Busch Gardens back then.

The average age of a fast food employee in the US is 29 years old. So your assessment is wrong

Bruh, everyone does not have the same opportunities and advantages as everyone else

These living wage jobs will always be in abudance.

It's impossible for everyone in this country to work at the jobs that provide enough income to take care of a family

One of the problems here is that our government should be responsible for filling in the gaps, but they are not aggressive enough on these issues

If you are making an honest living in this country you should be granted enough resources to live on.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
i'm english so pardon the ignorance but why the fukk would this person be paying 100 for phone/cable?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

the won't, they gonna continue to act like its Micky Ds responsibility to provide gainful. employment that one can support a family on:usure:.

Even as a TEEN i knew fast food wasn't for me, i decided to work at footlocker in HS for Min wage and hustled hard to make large commissions. no experience at all.

Even as a kid i realized that flipping burger shyt was huslin backwards

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
the won't, they gonna continue to act like its Micky Ds responsibility to provide gainful. employment that one can support a family on:usure:.

Even as a TEEN i knew fast food wasn't for me, i decided to work at footlocker in HS for Min wage and hustled hard to make large commissions. no experience at all.

Even as a kid i realized that flipping burger shyt was huslin backwards
You guys not realizing that this is a problem with the country instead of individuals is disturbing. Theoretically all full time jobs should provide a livable wage for people.

These categories "first jobs", "teen jobs", or temp jobs are quickly being faded away. In almost any job I run into these days the average age of employees vary from teens to people that are almost retiring.

I'm one of the few that feel that the whole college for everyone movement was a HUGE mistake in this country. At least a mistake in how it's currently handled

I'm going to start a new thread in higher learning because of this thread.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys not realizing that this is a problem with the country instead of individuals is disturbing. Theoretically all full time jobs should provide a livable wage for people.

These categories "first jobs", "teen jobs", or temp jobs are quickly being faded away. In almost any job I run into these days the average age of employees vary from teens to prove that are almost retiring.

I'm one of the few that feel that the whole college for everyone movement was a HUGE mistake in this country. At least a mistake in how it's currently handled

I'm going to start a new thread in higher learning because of this thread.

i agree with the bolded 100% but as far as this theory that 40 hours a week is automatically supposed to cover your basic expenses is one that has never been true in my lifetime..

thats been blatantly obvious ever since our parents would tell us "you keep fukkin up you gonna be working at mcdonalds". 9/10 you choose that life. if i was in that position i guarantee you id be busting my ass to get a city job, a bank position , a commission job or something thats going to give me an opportunity to make more. you working at mcd for 5 years you can't tell me you really tried to better yourself. you chose that life