Mavs .5 game out of playoffs, chose to tank to maybe keep a fringe top 10 pick

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Lol no they don’t. He’s a slightly above average defender that can’t dribble and is ok shooyer

Without Luka passing him the ball he shooting 31 percent from 3 in Brooklyn
I don't think you understand that being an average defender on the Mavericks basically made him the best defender on the team lol
Their defense completely fell apart without him. That's more about them having a very poorly constructed roster though

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
This is probably my biggest pet peeve in how folk talk sports. A team comes out of nowhere to be good and all of a sudden people treat them as a juggernaut

I say that bc imagine thinking that Dallas with Luka and kyrie would be deemed a miracle to beat the teanie bopper thunder and a Zion-less Nola :snoop:
They would have to face the Timberwolves and the loser of the Lakers/Pelicans game. That is after winning their last game and praying the Grizzlies' 3rd stringers beat the Thunder who would be playing for their lives. This Mavs team lost to the Hornets 3rd stringers twice in a row, the Hawks, the Grizzlies without Ja, the Heat with Cody Zeller starting for Bam all in the last month.. Their chances of winning two road games against superior teams were marginal.

Now, there was a chance so if you're the GM and think that small chance is worth pushing for by all means.. But, you won't find many GMs that would pursue a 10% chance of making the playoffs over an 80% chance of securing a lottery pick.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm predicting 2024 Clippers for Luka.

I think the history between them, new stadium, Ballmer showing he's trying to build something, big city, etc.

I don't know Luka's trade clause, but I'm guessing he'd make a push for it.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People really acting like a fringe top 10 pick is a game changer :patrice:

Yea they’re better off with it than without, but this ain’t the NFL a pick around the 8-10 range the odds drop dramatically to get a ceiling raising player. For kicks n giggles look at picks 8-10 the last few years

2015- Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Winslow
2016- Chriss, Poetl, Maker

2017- Ntilikina- their tank commander tonight :bryan:, DSJ- Luka’s first failed co-D :bryan:, Zach Collins

2018- Sexton, Knox, Bridges
2019- Jaxson Hayes, Rui, cam reddish
2020- Obi, Advija, Jalen smith

That’s 1 out of 18 players that can be called a difference maker :dead:2 if you wanna count Poetl. Most of these nggas aren’t even making their 2nd contract with the team.

Dallas is completely fukked

It's quite interesting how you chose to include 8 and 9 but not 11 and 12, which would've added Myles Turner to 2015, Domantas Sabonis to 2016, SGA & Miles Bridges to 2018, Cam Johnson to 2019, and Devin Vassell & Tyrese Haliburton to 2020 :skip:

There's absolutely 100% difference makers on the board at 10 most years.

The Mavs are capped out and have little to no trade assets. Yeah they need that pick badly. The tanking isn't ideal for the league but I get it

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
They would have to face the Timberwolves and the loser of the Lakers/Pelicans game. That is after winning their last game and praying the Grizzlies' 3rd stringers beat the Thunder who would be playing for their lives. This Mavs team lost to the Hornets 3rd stringers twice in a row, the Hawks, the Grizzlies without Ja, the Heat with Cody Zeller starting for Bam all in the last month.. Their chances of winning two road games against superior teams were marginal.

Now, there was a chance so if you're the GM and think that small chance is worth pushing for by all means.. But, you won't find many GMs that would pursue a 10% chance of making the playoffs over an 80% chance of securing a lottery pick.

This is the exact breakdown. They just want to pretend otherwise.

Like I said before, the .538 oddsmakers said the Mavs were down to a 4% chance to make the playoffs a WEEK ago. Even right now, they're only giving the Thunder an 8% chance to make the playoffs and the Thunder are 10x more likely to make the play-in than the Mavs were.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Niccas thought or claimed Kyrie was a “savior” cuz he made ONE SHOT.

When all this time he really was THE DESTROYER :wow:

Just this week we had a Coli poster claim that Bron should have won more titles than MJ because Kyrie is better than Pippen. And before that scitt was
claiming that Kyrie made the 2014-2018 Cavs a superteam.

But Luka, who according to those same posters is better than LeBron, can't even make the playoffs with an even better version of Kyrie?

I guess if they traded for Love and he managed 8ppg on 37% shooting that would have been the difference maker.

Braman

Superstar
Daps

The first paragraph doesn’t matter. You can’t be a player of Luka’s caliber , or Kyrie’s caliber, thinking ‘man we can’t possibly beat them’

Especially when we talkin bout …the pelicans and twolves?!?! :wtf:

@ the 2nd part you’re overlooking a major aspect: player empowerment. Contracts no longer matter. If a player asks out then that’s that. So if this move even SLIGHTLY increases the odds Luka, the golden child, could ask out, it’s a bad move. By the time that #10 pick is ready it’ll be 3 years from now Luka will be long gone.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

None of this is far fetched. Kyrie and Luka could easily go off and beat any of those teams. Luka by his damn self has won series he had no business winning. Playing "the chances are we arent going to make it so lets just surrender..." card when it comes to a team with 1 superstar let alone 2 isn't winning anyone over. No player going for this weak ass bullshyt.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just this week we had a Coli poster claim that Bron should have won more titles than MJ because Kyrie is better than Pippen. And before that scitt was
claiming that Kyrie made the 2014-2018 Cavs a superteam.

But Luka, who according to those same posters is better than LeBron, can't even make the playoffs with an even better version of Kyrie?

I guess if they traded for Love and he managed 8ppg on 37% shooting that would have been the difference maker.
Just stop with this disengious bullshyt. Luka has already made the wcf by his damn self. Kyrie has been on this team for less than 20 games, it isn't a good sample size to say "oh he can't make it with kyrie"...fukk are you even saying? Lebron would have mailed it in with a fake injury mid-season if he had to play with some of the garbage lineups Luka played with this season. His second best player was Tim Hardaway for 75% of the season. We can just leave it at that.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is the exact breakdown. They just want to pretend otherwise.

Like I said before, the .538 oddsmakers said the Mavs were down to a 4% chance to make the playoffs a WEEK ago. Even right now, they're only giving the Thunder an 8% chance to make the playoffs and the Thunder are 10x more likely to make the play-in than the Mavs were.

I honestly think some of these brehs have not watched the Mavs play these last 2 months and just see that they have Luka & Kyrie on the roster. This team is awful and all the more reason the play-in shouldn't exist because they shouldn't have even had a small chance to make the postseason.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I honestly think some of these brehs have not watched the Mavs play these last 2 months and just see that they have Luka & Kyrie on the roster. This team is awful and all the more reason the play-in shouldn't exist because they shouldn't have even had a small chance to make the postseason.
You can easily tell who hasn't because they'll bring up how the Mavericks gave up all their depth to get Kyrie, while overlooking the important detail that the depth wasn't even there before the trade and they only gave up two players outside of picks.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
None of this is far fetched. Kyrie and Luka could easily go off and beat any of those teams. Luka by his damn self has won series he had no business winning. Playing "the chances are we arent going to make it so lets just surrender..." card when it comes to a team with 1 superstar let alone 2 isn't winning anyone over. No player going for this weak ass bullshyt.
I dont know about easily :usure:

when you look at their production, Kyrie and Luka had to shoot significantly better, have significantly higher defensive plus/minus, and put up better assist numbers to get those wins. Dont see it as likely they have stellar production two games in a row against 2 teams fighting to get in.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
The first paragraph doesn’t matter. You can’t be a player of Luka’s caliber , or Kyrie’s caliber, thinking ‘man we can’t possibly beat them’

Especially when we talkin bout …the pelicans and twolves?!?! :wtf:

@ the 2nd part you’re overlooking a major aspect: player empowerment. Contracts no longer matter. If a player asks out then that’s that. So if this move even SLIGHTLY increases the odds Luka, the golden child, could ask out, it’s a bad move. By the time that #10 pick is ready it’ll be 3 years from now Luka will be long gone.
You're talking from a player's perspective, I'm talking from a front office perspective. If you actually want to build a competitive team while Luka is still on the roster you don't forgo a lottery pick for a 4% chance at making the playoffs. Especially if you're honest about how trash this team has been.

They could and probably will trade the pick to build a roster that optimizes Luka/Kyrie. This lottery pick is the best (and really onlyasset they have to improve the team. Why pass on the best opportunity to improve the team next season for a hopeless chance of saving this season?

Braman

Superstar
Daps
It's quite interesting how you chose to include 8 and 9 but not 11 and 12, which would've added Myles Turner to 2015, Domantas Sabonis to 2016, SGA & Miles Bridges to 2018, Cam Johnson to 2019, and Devin Vassell & Tyrese Haliburton to 2020 :skip:
There's absolutely 100% difference makers on the board at 10 most years.
The Mavs are capped out and have little to no trade assets. Yeah they need that pick badly. The tanking isn't ideal for the league but I get it
I left it out bc it doesn’t apply. It’s top 10 or bust.

Also bc I was gona make the same point you made, noting that you’re probably better off drafting in the late lottery/early teens instead of 8-10 range. 8-10 range is that no mans land of guys drafted on potential, but not good enough to go higher. Also name brand factors in, who you’re ‘supposed’ to pick. 11 and lower teams take more risks and can go off gut and not worry about being criticized

And then you factor its Dallas. They’re like a WR being drafted to the ravens :francis: They not gon do shyt but stifle someone’s game anyway. They’re looking for a specific type of player so they’re gonna put him in a box. And you factor in it’s a likely 1 n done so he’ll be a year away from being a year away