Mavs .5 game out of playoffs, chose to tank to maybe keep a fringe top 10 pick

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It'd more trade bait than an actual player that will contribute.

I'm more confused as to why people are acting like this is the first time that a team has blatantly tanked like the Rocket's didn't openly admit it himself a few months ago.

The Blazers shut Dame down with like 2-3 weeks left in the season when they were only 2 GB from the play-in and didn’t catch as much heat as the Mavs are getting :dead:

Danny Ainge traded half the Jazz’s team at the deadline because they were winning too much, and have been sitting Markkanen for like 2 weeks

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's hard to believe that this the same Mavericks organization that had that 2011 run.

Crazy things happen when you get to the play-offs and your team goes nuclear. If anybody knows that it's probably Luka and Kidd.

Kyrie and Luka going nuclear puts a lot of teams away. Then you got other nuclear players like Christian Wood. Not to mention all the other factors like the potential injuries that may occur to your rivals and the potential bad match-ups that clear the team you have a bad match-up with. You win one more to get the play-in. Then a couple more to make the play-offs. Grab another game 1 or game 2 on the road and next thing you know you're in the WCF.

Draft pick argument is stupid. In the NBA, players drafted in the top 15 have about the same championship win rate as players drafted 15-30. Raptors didn't even have a top 10/lottery player on their team when they won.

Bottom line they sold right at the doorstep without even giving themselves an opportunity. That's weak and makes the league look weak.

Last edited:

concise

Veteran
Daps
The Blazers shut Dame down with like 2-3 weeks left in the season when they were only 2 GB from the play-in and didn’t catch as much heat as the Mavs are getting

They didn't catch as much heat because your statement is wrong. They had less than 0.1 percent of a chance to make the last play-in spot.

13th place, 5 games back of 10th with 7 games left, less than 0.1% probability to make the playoffs .... them making the play-in at this stage would be a miracle.

Blazers are 32-43 and in the 13th spot. They're three games behind the 12th slot and five behind the 11th spot with just 7 games to play, and the 10/11 teams only have 6 to play. They would have to go 7-0 to end the season and hope both OKC and Dallas went 1-5. It's been over.

If it wasn't for the play-in then they probably would have shut it down 1-2 weeks earlier cause they would have had to pass the Jazz, Mavs, Thunder, Lakers, AND Pelicans to make it.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They didn't catch as much heat because your statement is wrong. They had less than 0.1 percent of a chance to make the last play-in spot.

My bad, I thought they were closer than that at the time :hubie:

On the other hand, the same link you posted is giving the Thunder an 8% chance to make the playoffs out of play-in. The Mavs already had small odds of passing them up, and then would’ve had similarly small odds just to make it out of the play-in. All for the grand prize of getting smoked by Denver and not having a 1st round pick.

That said, I would’ve been completely fine if they went for it. But I also get why the front office went the direction they did, even if it is unethical.

concise

Veteran
Daps
My bad, I thought they were closer than that at the time :hubie:

On the other hand, the same link you posted is giving the Thunder an 8% chance to make the playoffs out of play-in. The Mavs already had small odds of passing them up, and then would’ve had similarly small odds just to make it out of the play-in. All for the grand prize of getting smoked by Denver and not having a 1st round pick.

That said, I would’ve been completely fine if they went for it. But I also get why the front office went the direction they did, even if it is unethical.

The site updates daily and archives weekly, you can go back to the standings on the 25th, just before he was shut down. They were already down to 0.2%

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I don't care what anybody says, that made the NBA look bad.

When was the last time a team tried to tank to avoid the play-offs, in any sport?

Play-offs are the time to do something special and these clowns didn't want to go for it.

Ain't that a fine and a lost pick? Man, if the league enforces that, this whole season was for absolutely nothing. :mjlol:

Let's see if they enforce it though :mjpls:

The only thing the league might do is create a Play-In for the Play-In Tournament :beli:

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Luka will ask out next summer.

FLPwvX2UcAE3hvK.jpg