Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of jealousy. Big L was the first one to get signed but he got dropped and never really made noise commercially. Now here comes a nikka that you grew up with, that you kinda put on in the rap game, getting a lot of fame and notoriety, signed to the biggest label and is on hit records. If you not all the way secure, that could really fukk with you.

I remember the Lox said they was happy X never hated on them because he easily could have, because it was a similar situation. Where X was on first, flopped, helped put them on and they got signed to the hottest label in the east coast while he was still struggling.
Sounds like exactly what was happening if we being real. Anyone catch the full episode and hear what Mase did next? Ended with him saying "Its over for this nikka" in regards to Big L.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Sounds like exactly what was happening if we being real. Anyone catch the full episode and hear what Mase did next? Ended with him saying "Its over for this nikka" in regards to Big L.
He said after it happened Big L started hanging on the other side of Harlem, not in the same area that Mase and his people was in anymore. He said nobody knew why L wasn't hanging there anymore, because they didn't know L had set Mase up.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
So Big L had a 1 on 1 beef and ran to Fat Joe :stopitslime:

similar played out with me in high school

A kid gone off Xanax started getting disrespectful. He spit at me, I punched him twice and twisted his arm and threw him down on the hood of his friend’s pops car (just like the Amesbury police did to me for literally no reason aside for knowing my rights). Told him “you know what I could do to you right now”, the reason I went easy on him was his dad was my pop warner football coach

later that night me and my friends were in two cars driving through town, he was begging them to jump me and they told me about it and said they wouldn’t let it happen

the next day gone of Xanax again he got into it with my friend on the basketball court. My friend hit him twice just like I did

later me and him made a song together
Happened to me as well. I was beefing with this dude because I was smashing his ex girlfriend. So I was at McDonalds one night because its where everyone would hang after HS football and basketball games. This big nikka name Floyd walked up and said you got beef with my homie, then you got beef with me. Squared up on me. Little did he know, the nikka he was with was my homie and was like ayo chill out. He also knew who my brother was and who he was associated with. It would have gotten ugly if he touched me. bytch nikkas

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:hubie: L dope and all, but I'm gonna keep it a Bean that Ma$e had the better flow and cadence before Harlem World Diddy shiny suits:

Just now.
forgiving this nikka mase for selling out on badboy.

Going from this.
To that mumble mouth remedial shyt on badboy.

That grief from big sales strategy aided mase and Jay on levels.
beyond their real draw for the time.

To create the sale spike era.
after big and pac died for timeline reference.

Now I can watch mase on The show, iiwii

Just wish.
mase would lose the cowboy hats.
Plus stop having so many Freudian slips during convos as well.

Art Barr

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Couple things about this situation that aren't true.

People Uptown never f*cked with Mase like that because he's not really from Harlem. So this fairy tale that L would have to "set him up" is just ridiculous and I'm not sure why dude is even saying this because nobody Uptown would ever vouch for or believe that about L.

Second, L was always on the same block Uptown. Literally always there. So Mase never had the kinda respect where anyone would have to not be around anymore because they had issues with Mase. L's crew (NFL) was like 40 deep regularly. These were our OG's and my cousin's crew. But L was always a mad chill dude, super laidback and for the most part stayed out of nonsense. So Mase might have some problems if he tries to go back Uptown because he just lying for clicks again. Dude is wildin'.

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
i remember mase mentioned L stealing his bars man years and people had an outrage.

Im very curious though as to what songs mase heard that made him confront L. If you listen they did use some similar rhyme schemes before…

“I had beef with some nikka named nick from st nick, saw him and his broad in an accord, i said click click” - mase

“I had beef with some police chief named omar, until i cold flipped and whipped him to death with a crowbar” - mase

“I had beef with this thief named randolph, nows hes in a casket dressed up with his hands crossed” - Big L

Theres a few more but this is still a strong claim to make especially back then.

shyt even the “ask beavis i get nothing butthead” line may have even been bitten from blinky blink of all people.

2:16-2:23

Herb McGruff’s track Uptown connection, Mase used, “stroking hoes in the Poconos” rhyme scheme and Big L says the line exactly the same in the next verse

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
I love L, but playing grimy games like that has consequences.
Yeah the more stories I hear about L, the less I have sympathy for his demise. It’s fukked up he lost his life but if he wasn’t a grimy ass nikka there’s a good chance he would still be alive today.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's ugly outside Big L would be here if it wasn't

We should be buying acres adjusting each other's crowns
That was your brother back then, how could you gun him down?

shameless promo

the official version
:ahh:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The book "Ethylene" by Lou Black details a lot of what was going on with Big L's crew.

I think the attempted robbery on Mase may have been mentioned but they didn't say his name. I don't see Mase as a completely honest person though, he would never tell parts of the story that make him look bad.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
i remember mase mentioned L stealing his bars man years and people had an outrage.

Im very curious though as to what songs mase heard that made him confront L. If you listen they did use some similar rhyme schemes before…

“I had beef with some nikka named nick from st nick, saw him and his broad in an accord, i said click click” - mase

“I had beef with some police chief named omar, until i cold flipped and whipped him to death with a crowbar” - mase

“I had beef with this thief named randolph, nows hes in a casket dressed up with his hands crossed” - Big L

Theres a few more but this is still a strong claim to make especially back then.

shyt even the “ask beavis i get nothing butthead” line may have even been bitten from blinky blink of all people.

2:16-2:23

First this story is heresay.

we have no idea.
if the items that came into play are rhymes or coded.
So i will try to keep this.
as a skill social pillar discussion. As coc and big l were horror core nyc gen one kool g rap slash wu tang-esque style emcees.
Plagued by a decline in draw.
A yes you may top shelf original drawing envelope. ruined by the worst admin based record delay of a potential top skilled styles war era rapper. In that delay it took place.
To begin in era and history for skilled styles war rappers.
Starting in first quarter 1992
Which lasted from 1992 - second quarter 1996.[if I remember right]
Which covered numerous sonic landscape changes. As well as the communications act. Plus numerous other changes to the pop landscape and sales spike boom era and period. Attached to the release year of 1996 to a subsequent label dropping. That would take place in the time and same envelopes of time where pac and big would transition.
Plus well Into the grief period of pac and big.

This record redelay occurred.
after the technical renaissance of nas in 1994.
So things went from cultural skill based.
to a complete pop construct.
over a number of sonic landscape changes

So in that era.
as an emcee.
Hypothetically,....

If you are in a crew of emcees.
where a scheme gets over.

Your crew would generally internalize that rhyme scheme.
Or skill plateau
That is legal cause they are a crew.
Since coc was part of the eight is enough crew.
As well as big l' s crew in eight is enough.
Hypothetically If anyone from that lineage of their crew. Were to battle

those crew members would need to get in each other's bag.
to serve their opposition.
It is all in back and forth skills for a crew. To be legal.
As emcees.

to know you could have to counter that crew's house style and schemes.
internally and hypothetically.
Crews even hand off other records.

It is different between two solo artists.

Although...it could be viewed as some crew shyt. If you link up for a feature.
to leave yourself open to get bit.

So as a solo emcee.
take mind of your surroundings.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
That explains why L got popped. His brothers were on some other shıt too.

I heard they popped him assassination style on his knees.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
:russ: @ Shamgod
Big L seems like a dude that got what was coming to him honestly
Basically… A lot of people who was around at that time knew Big L was a dusty ass scum bag… so yeah when he got hit nobody ain’t shed no tears or nothing.. Game is the game