Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

Braman

Superstar
Daps
You could always tell they didn't fukk with L like that.

He’s kinda right tho. I wouldn’t say ‘didn’t fw him’, but it’s clear that the real street alliances and codes trump how people view L as a famous rapper.

When L’s killer died a few years ago Cam went to the service. And when social media tried to make it a big deal Cam made a freestyle

Grew up with Big L and the dude who supposedly killed him
A week before that, though, Big L had tried to kill him What was he to do? Please don’t get in ya feelings

If you’ve paid attention to Cam on this topic he always is hesitant. Bc he knows the real story doesn’t paint L in the best light. This happens ALL the time. When a famous person dies it’s taboo to say anything negative even if it’s the real story

Rasille

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey
So in real time the Lox were already moving and shaking by time X gained notoriety. Remember X buzz started in 1997, but it was mostly in the underground/mixtape circuit, he still wasn't like a thing until 1998. By then The Lox was already signed to Bad Boy, and was all over the No Way Out album. Also remember X was trying to get signed with them to Bad Boy at the exact same time Diddy said no because he sounded too rough, but signed the Lox. That alone could've been an issue because X was considered the prize pick from the Ruff Ryders and to get upstaged by your understudies could fukk with your ego.
Puff signed Mase and Black Rob too but passed on X

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
:russ: @ Shamgod
Big L seems like a dude that got what was coming to him honestly
Exactly :mjlol:

Takeoff might be the exception, but the majority of these rappers who get shot did something street wise to warrant that 9 times outta 10. And yes that includes pop smoke, they may not have had beef with him, but he definitely had people who wanted him dead for shyt he did.

Outside of immediately family and friends I don't see why we pretend these dudes were friendly people after they died

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Crazy

The only thing that doesn’t make sense is if L was a grimy sociopathic dude why would he get Fat Joe and be afraid to fight Mase one on one or even rob him on his own? Mase wasn’t built like that and was an easy target

Only thing I can think of is he knew it wouldn’t be a good luck and wouldn’t be well received in Harlem if he violated Mase and that’s why he wanted someone else to do it
:why: Tf is a ‘grimy sociopathic dude’. He was a street ngga not Jeffrey dahmer

And what do you mean ‘Mase wasn’t built like that’. You gotta sit this one out bruh :pachaha:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOL I think he's just saying it's kinda of a interesting take to say Mase and Cam ain't fukk with Big L, when Big L is the one that tried to get one of them robbed.

But I think your take is more about how they speak on L in general, and I never take it as they don't fukk with L. I think they love L, but they're also honest with reality. Cam even addressed it in the clip about how nikkas always show nikkas love after death when they deserved the love alive. It makes people uncomfortable when people speak of people that passed away in a light that's not the most favorable. Big L was a great MC, but he seems like he might've been a grimy nikka.

I definitely always got the impression they didn’t fukk with him and this story gives insight into why. I definitely wouldn’t fukk with a nygga that tried to get me robbed and jumped.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i remember mase mentioned L stealing his bars man years and people had an outrage.

Im very curious though as to what songs mase heard that made him confront L. If you listen they did use some similar rhyme schemes before…

“I had beef with some nikka named nick from st nick, saw him and his broad in an accord, i said click click” - mase

“I had beef with some police chief named omar, until i cold flipped and whipped him to death with a crowbar” - mase

“I had beef with this thief named randolph, nows hes in a casket dressed up with his hands crossed” - Big L

Theres a few more but this is still a strong claim to make especially back then.

shyt even the “ask beavis i get nothing butthead” line may have even been bitten from blinky blink of all people.

2:16-2:23

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

And what do you mean ‘Mase wasn’t built like that’. You gotta sit this one out bruh :pachaha:
A grimey sociopathic dude would be a street nikka tho :dwillhuh: are you confusing it with psychopath? alot of street guys fall under that umbrella too :mjlol: :snoop:

Most street nikkas are sociopaths breh, you'd embarrass the hell out of yourself saying this IRL around people who read books. Or just hang around dumb nikkas who wouldn't know you just spat nonsense

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of jealousy. Big L was the first one to get signed but he got dropped and never really made noise commercially. Now here comes a nikka that you grew up with, that you kinda put on in the rap game, getting a lot of fame and notoriety, signed to the biggest label and is on hit records. If you not all the way secure, that could really fukk with you.

I remember the Lox said they was happy X never hated on them because he easily could have, because it was a similar situation. Where X was on first, flopped, helped put them on and they got signed to the hottest label in the east coast while he was still struggling.
bro where was X signed to before? same label as mic geronimo or sumn?

edit: just read his wiki
never knew

Braman

Superstar
Daps
A grimey sociopathic dude would be a street nikka tho :dwillhuh: are you confusing it with psychopath? alot of street guys fall under that umbrella too :mjlol: :snoop:

Most street nikkas are sociopaths breh, you'd embarrass the hell out of yourself saying this IRL around people who read books. Or just hang around dumb nikkas who wouldn't know you just spat nonsense

You are sounding Caucasian my friend. Trying to psychoanalyze it after the fact like studying wild animals.

L was just a typical street ngga, simple. So asking ‘how can he be a sociopath but not try to kill Mase by himself :wtf:“ is a very, very weird question :mjpls:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
bro where was X signed to before? same label as mic geronimo or sumn?
He was signed to Ruffhouse/Columbia in 1992-1993. He dropped "Born Loser" single but it flopped. I remember Kid Capri on Drink Champs saying he's the only one that played it on the radio.

Cypress Hill, Kriss Kross and the Fugees were on that label.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

lol I didnt mean it like that.

My point is Mase wasnt on some tough guy shyt to the point you’d have to hire fat Joe to help you jump him or get someone to rob him