Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Cam'ron has mentioned something similar before regarding Big L scheming

Grew up with Big L, and the dude who supposedly killed him
A week before that, though, Big L tried to kill him
What was he to do?

Didn't DMX send a small sub to the Lox on Trina Moe?

I ain't even gon' speak, one million the first week
Aight, let's ask the streets: How many sold?
What? Three nikkas, three months to go gold?
C'mon, ese, keep it real, homes
You fukkin' with the dog, you already know

And Jadakiss threw small shots back on My Lifestyle (remix)

Listen to me; I'm the cat that'll sit in a tree
And shoot the dog in the head while he shyttin and pee
Yeah but that was internal shyt years later after X was 5x bigger than the Lox ever been. They was speaking more from hating on them while they was popping and he wasn't.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Quick summary for people who can't watch the whole thing

Mase and Big L got into on the block one day about Big L using some of Mase compound syllables in his rhymes, and Herb Gruff started gassing them to box. Cam started laughing saying gruff loved instigating shyt

They were in the Tunnel, Mase tells L he'll knock him out. Big L goes to Party Arty and a few other nikkas to try to get them on Mase, but Mase knew them. So then Big L goes to Fat Joe, Fat Joe and his realize it's Mase and tell Big L he has to handle it, since that's some internal Harlem shyt they got going on.

Later Mase and Shamgod are on the block, and some Spanish nikka runs down on them with a gun trying to take Mase's Rolex. (Mase details the story pretty humorously) Mase ends up throwing the watch, and running and the cops come and arrest the dude. nikkas in jail found out he robbed Mase and they was beating him up, and the nikka confessed that Big L sent that to hit out to get Mase robbed. And they talked about how it ruined everything after that.

Cam jokingly asked Mase is that why you never have Big L in your top 5.
So Big L had a 1 on 1 beef and ran to Fat Joe :stopitslime:

similar played out with me in high school

A kid gone off Xanax started getting disrespectful. He spit at me, I punched him twice and twisted his arm and threw him down on the hood of his friend’s pops car (just like the Amesbury police did to me for literally no reason aside for knowing my rights). Told him “you know what I could do to you right now”, the reason I went easy on him was his dad was my pop warner football coach

later that night me and my friends were in two cars driving through town, he was begging them to jump me and they told me about it and said they wouldn’t let it happen

the next day gone of Xanax again he got into it with my friend on the basketball court. My friend hit him twice just like I did

later me and him made a song together

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Didnt X's Rise come in at about the same time Money Power Respect was dropping?
So in real time the Lox were already moving and shaking by time X gained notoriety. Remember X buzz started in 1997, but it was mostly in the underground/mixtape circuit, he still wasn't like a thing until 1998. By then The Lox was already signed to Bad Boy, and was all over the No Way Out album. Also remember X was trying to get signed with them to Bad Boy at the exact same time Diddy said no because he sounded too rough, but signed the Lox. That alone could've been an issue because X was considered the prize pick from the Ruff Ryders and to get upstaged by your understudies could fukk with your ego.

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That’s just grimey scumbag stuff

the word was always that he was killed via mistaken identity

tend to your character brehs, so that your reputation may look after itself :ufdup:
His brother and Cam kinda confirmed years later it wasn't mistaken identity. The nikka who killed Big L (allegedly) Gerard Woodley, grew up with all of them. Basically they was trying to kill Woodley, and Big L was involved in the set up, and was there when the hit went down, but the hit failed and Woodley got out of there. And when dude caught up to Big L, he killed him.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Damn, L ain't shyt for that...went through all them extra steps and could've Just gave Mase the Fade like a man and kept it moving smh.
I done seen that shyt play out too many times in real life. A lot of so called gangstas are p*ssy by themselves or without a gun. I've had it happen to me where I stepped to somebody and they backed down when by themselves. Then I see them with their crew and all of a sudden all the rah rah talk starts up. Luckily I always had a lot of connections so didn't get jumped.

The funniest to me was in high school. We was playing ball in gym class and one of the cats was a football player and played like one. Funny enough a NY nikka who was pretty new to town. The dude he fouled was a white blood. We hit the locker room and the white dude was bytching about getting fouled hard and the NY nikka straight punked. Got in the white boys face telling him shut the fukk up or he'll beat his ass right there. White dude was silent and just put his head down and walked away. Then another gym class ended and some more of his boys came in there and then the white dude starts talking shyt "fukk you punk ass bytch I'll kill you". Later shows up at dude's bus stop with 5 people to jump the NY cat. Word had it the NY nikka held his own with all five of them and walked away basically unharmed.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
LOL I think he's just saying it's kinda of a interesting take to say Mase and Cam ain't fukk with Big L, when Big L is the one that tried to get one of them robbed.

But I think your take is more about how they speak on L in general, and I never take it as they don't fukk with L. I think they love L, but they're also honest with reality. Cam even addressed it in the clip about how nikkas always show nikkas love after death when they deserved the love alive. It makes people uncomfortable when people speak of people that passed away in a light that's not the most favorable. Big L was a great MC, but he seems like he might've been a grimy nikka.
Wouldn't even let Ma$e shout out his hoes at the end of Let em Have it L :stopitslime:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I remember finding out about L and how he died. I was like damn that’s fukked up, then all these stories have you like damn breh was doing shady shyt.

RIP tho

I always read that he got hit in retaliation for some shyt his brother did or he was mistaken for his brother.

Never knew Big L himself was on that grimy tip but it makes sense given that Cam, for at least the last 5-6 years has been hinting that he ain’t really fukk with L like that and that the neighborhood they came from was such that nikkas would help your grandmother carry groceries to her door and then go and try and have you lined up 15 minutes later.

I mean the nikka made an album called Lifestyles Ov The Poor AND DANGEROUS.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Growing up there were certain little kids that weren't scared to talk crazy to bigger kids because they had older siblings with a rep. Like if you got into with them, their older sibling would pop up on you. That's pretty much how I see Big L, his rap style, apparently how he treated people.

His big brother was a bully, he didn't know anything but that. The wake up call usually occurs when the BULLY dies. But the bully was locked up....