Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
All his actions said different

If anything that line is him waving the war Flag

Hov was determined to be #1 and he was going to cover all bases

He made a whole album that sounded like a bad boy album in Vol 1 because that was the winning formula at the time

But made sure to add a “where I’m from” because Mobb Deep wave was real big at the time and he needed that also.

When P mentioned Hov throwing a sub on there, at 1st I didn’t put any stock in there. But putting everything in perspective, he definitely did.

Anybody that had a Wave at the time he dissed
prodigy Added words that jay never said on where I’m from “houndering“ wtf does that mean

ill give u sunshine and the puff feature other than that nothing sound like bad boy

jay did have ain’t no on his debut

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
You keep connecting where I'm from to mobb deep. Other than the subliminal line you actually think he was trying to sound like mobb deep there???? Wtf?
Dog. it makes me look crazy always correcting dudes. But dudes be saying flagrant shyt that I can’t look pass.

prodigy was mad jay z wore a football jersey lol

ny dudes different

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
I think you're conflating Jay-Z talking like a mogul in 97 into 98 with him literally leveling up financially and business wise. That era jay-z was showing his actual wealth and what he owned...he really owned them SLs and Lexus and 7 series if anything anyone around them says is accurate, and he put the bentley on Hard Knock Life because he probably just bought it legit. I think he was just showing where he was at that time rather than trying to shark bad boy.

EDIT - Sunshine was DEFINITELY a bad boy bite video though lol

Not conflating anything. I'm responding to a comment about Jay being the first rapper to talk about being rich at a level that seemed unobtainable to the average person

On Reasonable Doubt, Jay was talking money, but the shyt he was spitting was on a level similar to what BIG, Raekwon, AZ, Kool G Rap and others had done the previous two years. Benzes, Lexus, champagne, hoes, hood rich hustler shyt that was not some crazy billionaire business tyc00n level flossing

Bad Boy took it to the next level in 1997 ,the lifestyle they portrayed both lyrically and in the videos was the jet set, business mogul lifestyle that hadn't really been shown in hip hop before at least not with consistency. Jay's whole "I'm a mogul who live in the Hamptons and got yachts and private jets" persona didn't appear until BIG and Puff did it first

I mean, shyt, you got dudes in this thread jocking his 4.0 vs 4.6 line without even acknowledging he lifted that shyt straight from BIG

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Not conflating anything. I'm responding to a comment about Jay being the first rapper to talk about being rich at a level that seemed unobtainable to the average person

On Reasonable Doubt, Jay was talking money, but the shyt he was spitting was on a level similar to what BIG, Raekwon, AZ, Kool G Rap and others had done the previous two years. Benzes, Lexus, champagne, hoes, hood rich hustler shyt that was not some crazy billionaire business tyc00n level flossing

Bad Boy took it to the next level in 1997 ,the lifestyle they portrayed both lyrically and in the videos was the jet set, business mogul lifestyle that hadn't really been shown in hip hop before at least not with consistency. Jay's whole "I'm a mogul who live in the Hamptons and got yachts and private jets" persona didn't appear until BIG and Puff did it first

I mean, shyt, you got dudes in this thread jocking his 4.0 vs 4.6 line without even acknowledging he lifted that shyt straight from BIG
I hear your point :manny:

If we really wanna take it there Master P was already talking bigger cash shyt than Jay-Z in 96-97

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Why Would Jay Talk About Being A Wealthy Mogul With Private Jets In The Beginning Of His Career, Maybe He Started Talking It When He Actually Started Living It, Not Cause It Was The Cool Thing To Do

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
And that was the point I was making earlier

Also How Has No One Brought Up

“When Puff was in that tub spillin Mo'
I was at my video, Cris' on a speedboat
In my lifetime nikka, go do your research
… St. Thomas my nikka, that was me first!”

:heh:

Last edited:

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Why Would Jay Talk About Being A Wealthy Mogul With Private Jets In The Beginning Of His Career, Maybe He Started Talking It When He Actually Started Living It, Not Cause It Was The Cool Thing To Do

Yall need to look at the post I was responding to. Seriously :mjlol:

Dude said Jay was the first rapper to portray being mega rich like that. I responded and said ain't true and listed examples. That's it

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520

RD Era and pre RD Jay-z was poppin Cristal, ridin in helicopters and yachts, wearin suits, smokin cigars, wearin platinum, and filmin in the hamptons among other exotic places. It didnt come after big died...big was in some of these videos. Jigga been on that jiggy shyt. Lets quit trying to change documented history.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Jay-Z even sent a "shot" at Mase (and LL) on the Tim Westwood Freestyle during the promotion for Volume 3

"She wanna hear Mase, I put her front the store in front of Sam Goody
I hop out, I throw on my hoodie, I don't hate
Chick carried work for me from state to state
It's the least I could, bought her LL too haha"