Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This is one of my biggest gripes with the comic book films. The characters are about to die or the world is about to end and its nothing but a pure joke fest:unimpressed:
Levity is present in even some of the most serious Scorsese moments. When Henry Hill and the gang had what they thought was a dead body in their trunk they were making jokes about it while eating and around someone's mother no less.
I mean I have never been close to death or thought the world was gonna end so I wouldn't even know how I would react do you?

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Levity is present in even some of the most serious Scorsese moments. When Henry Hill and the gang had what they thought was a dead body in their trunk they were making jokes about it while eating and around someone's mother no less.
I mean I have never been close to death or thought the world was gonna end so I wouldn't even know how I would react do you?
This is nothing even close to what goes on in Marvel flicks. That was a controlled situation in that scene with Billy Bats in the truck of the car. They were in no danger whatsoever the entire time. Even then that's a far cry from what goes on in Marvel films. I'm not even defending Scorese in all of this either. He's comes of as an elitist douch most times. I just brought up that the comedy routines during serious scenes in Marvel films its tiring and corny asf. There a reason why The Dark Knight is still beloved til this very day... its serious asf.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Movie studios literally plan their releases around when Marvel drops theirs.

And I don't think Socrsese is talking about just superhero movies (or should i say comic book movies)

Star Wars, the Jurassic series. Any movie where there is a lot of heavy CGI/Action goes into the bucket.

He hates Marvel, because they set a trend. These types of movies use to be regulated to one or two months out of the year. But since Marvel changed the game, you're getting these types of movies year round with no breaks.

So he doesn't actually hate marvel. he hates that so many studios have tried to copy the MCU formula. :wow:

#marvelset

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This is nothing even close to what goes on in Marvel flicks. That was a controlled situation in that scene with Billy Bats in the truck of the car. They were in no danger whatsoever the entire time. Even then that's a far cry from what goes on in Marvel films. I'm not even defending Scorese in all of this either. He's comes of as an elitist douch most times. I just brought up that the comedy routines during serious scenes in Marvel films its tiring and corny asf. There a reason why The Dark Knight is still beloved til this very day... its serious asf.

They were definitely still in danger of getting knocked. And commiting a murder and laughing about it the same night before the body is even buried in front of an elderly mother is pretty psychopath/sociopathic behavior.
Oh, so if a movie is 'beloved til this day' than everything that occurs within works? I think you just undermined your own argument regarding Marvel movies. lol

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I can hear that but it all reeks of “how dare this old man not like what I love” when in reality, who cares? I get Scorsese is who he is and his opinion holds weight in the larger scope of film, but if you love something and someone else doesn’t, so the fukk what?

Someone they look up to disagreeing shouldn’t change that or make anyone feel less secure about their opinions. That’s the wildest part about this whole shyt to me

Some highly esteemed musician, most likely a white man says "Hip Hop/rap isn't real music".

Me: fukk that cac.

Not a 1/1 comparison but it's the same exact logic. I wouldn't really care about his resume or accomplishments and how many people would trade them for the entirety of Hip Hop, in this moment, fukk that guy and what he just said. And not because I'm insecure in my opinion or am looking for validation from him. But because he invalidated an entire genre of artists and fans who enjoy the art. Now if you're just a dispassionate person then I see being like hey whatever! But expecting people who aren't to just hold their head in respect and not be like well fukk you too is a little unreasonable.

But it should stop there. You can say your feelings without trying to throw his legacy out the window or get 'implicitly pretentious' about Marvel lol

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Some highly esteemed musician, most likely a white man says "Hip Hop/rap isn't real music".

Me: fukk that cac.

Not a 1/1 comparison but it's the same exact logic. I wouldn't really care about his resume or accomplishments and how many people would trade them for the entirety of Hip Hop, in this moment, fukk that guy and what he just said. And not because I'm insecure in my opinion or am looking for validation from him. But because he invalidated an entire genre of artists and fans who enjoy the art. Now if you're just a dispassionate person then I see being like hey whatever! But expecting people who aren't to just hold their head in respect and not be like well fukk you too is a little unreasonable.

But it should stop there. You can say your feelings without trying to throw his legacy out the window or get 'implicitly pretentious' about Marvel lol
I agree. Marty is Marty. His legacy is cemented already. Ain’t shyt anyone can do about that. I respect the man and love his movies. I see where he’s coming from on this but I feel differently. That’s where it ends for me.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Those are 4 movies out of like 30. And only one of those has any rewatch value to me.:yeshrug:

Iron Man
Avengers
Black Panther
Civil War
Ragnarok
Infinity War
End Game
Spider Man Homecoming
Dr Strange...

Hell and even the ones with less value, still have connections to the rest

Most movies don't have "replay value".

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
They were definitely still in danger of getting knocked. And commiting a murder and laughing about it the same night before the body is even buried in front of an elderly mother is pretty psychopath/sociopathic behavior.
Oh, so if a movie is 'beloved til this day' than everything that occurs within works? I think you just undermined your own argument regarding Marvel movies. lol
That's nothing like guns to the dome-the world is ending and making wise cracks throughout the entire scene.. stop it! Yes Tommy(Pesci) later got popped for the Billy Batts incident but they were under no pressure or any threat at the time when they had Batts in the trunk, during the dinner scene, and while they buried him. You're reaching! And the majority of TDK did work. What are you even talking about? I normally love Marvel. I grew up and collected their comics.. Fantastic Four especially. I just didn't like the switch up to comedic routines under pressure that they're doing in the movies now. Spiderman always talked shyt no matter what but that was as far as if goes from all the comics I read. You disagree fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I just think that bringing up the Goodfellas-Batts scene is a bad example

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I enjoyed the movie but mostly because I am already a fan of the films you named. The truth is that it was only dubbed a masterpiece because right now cinema and really all major artforms are suffering. If Joker came out around the same time as Taxi Driver it would not have been dubbed a masterpiece because back then quality films were made in mass. In today's cinema most movies are on the mediocre side or less than mediocre.
Shiiiiiit, people want to act like Logan is some kind of masterpiece too rather than a very redundant action film built on 50s western tropes.

Anyway, if you read into the actual point that Scorsese is making he's not wrong. All this shyt proves is that there are far more @Bryan Danielson's in the world than the necessary number of 0.