Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
You know Marvel movies are narrative movies right :unsure:

No shyt. The MCU by design has been able to paint a cohesive narrative across almost two decades and dozens of films that has earned them brand loyalty. But they aren't doing billions of dollars in box office and edging out more narrative driven films because of story-telling. They provide enough spectacle to justify the budget of studios and movie goers in an era where there are entire streaming services devoted to specific genres of film.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I was forced to sit thru about 90 mins of the Wonder Woman 84 movie before I just walked out of the room.

y’all can’t honestly tell me this was a good movie.

I’ll admit the superhero stuff just isn’t for me...it bores me, I find it easily predictable and mostly an insult to my intelligence to watch.

Scorsese is a GOAT but he’s had a dud or two on his resume

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
BUT all Marvel movies cost over 150 million bucks. Well except maybe for the Ant Man joints.

Spider-man FFH: 160 million
The Irishman budget: 159 million....and Netflix was the only place he could get it.

And now that he got it and put his movie on there, he's moved on to being bitter about having to compete with the other "content" on there because it isn't curated enough for the viewers, aka, nobody is watching my shyt and sucking me off like I'm used to.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Spider-man FFH: 160 million
The Irishman budget: 159 million....and Netflix was the only place he could get it.

And now that he got it and put his movie on there, he's moved on to being bitter about having to compete with the other "content" on there because it isn't curated enough for the viewers, aka, nobody is watching my shyt and sucking me off like I'm used to.

:ehh:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I was forced to sit thru about 90 mins of the Wonder Woman 84 movie before I just walked out of the room.

I’ll admit the superhero stuff just isn’t for me...it bores me, I find it easily predictable and mostly an insult to my intelligence to watch.

WW84 is fukking trash and they're lucky they didn't get a chance to put it out in theaters because the people that didn't like it would have been a HELL of a lot more vocal about it. Infinity War on the other hand had people legit shedding tears to be some kinda "theme park show" devoid of any connection to human experience.

The CBM genre is relatively young and has some limitations to break through, but it's levels to this shyt.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No shyt. The MCU by design has been able to paint a cohesive narrative across almost two decades and dozens of films that has earned them brand loyalty. But they aren't doing billions of dollars in box office and edging out more narrative driven films because of story-telling. They provide enough spectacle to justify the budget of studios and move goers in an era where there are entire streaming services devoted to specific genres of film.
:ohmy:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama

Marvel has had a bunch of duds tho.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Marvel has had a bunch of duds tho.

It took Thor 3 movies to be watchable lol, but once they got it they nailed it and have made it so even the movies toward the bottom of their ranks are still relevant. (shout out to Darcy Lewis). And as they make peace with the fact that their fanbase is made up of a lot of people who also enjoy things like Scorsese films, they're gonna have to mature into a 'silver age' of MCU where you use these characters to splinter off into different genres and more mature content, seems like they're getting the hint.

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Uh Universe building. cmon now. give props
I’ll give credit to other producers, directors, and writers for universe building
They took the Saturday morning serial format, but they have a known property and bigger budget.
It’s nothing groundbreaking about that
I’m not even knocking Marvel movies, some of them range from very good to decent.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Marty Scores got comicbook nerds mad again?
Im in :blessed:

LEHS GO!!!!!!
tenor.gif